Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone have cameras on their bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Anyone have cameras on their bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-18, 02:21 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Following with interest. When I was hit last November, everything shattered off the bike, though. Headlight, computer (breaking the K-Edge in half), tail light. Only the saddlebag stayed on, oddly. None of it was found, so I question if I’d have been able to ID the hit and run driver who left me in the street.

Now — that was a pretty massive hit, and it’s fairly shocking I’m alive, so that’s not typical use case. But still ...
Old 09-29-18, 02:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
Following with interest. When I was hit last November, everything shattered off the bike, though. Headlight, computer (breaking the K-Edge in half), tail light. Only the saddlebag stayed on, oddly. None of it was found, so I question if I’d have been able to ID the hit and run driver who left me in the street.

Now — that was a pretty massive hit, and it’s fairly shocking I’m alive, so that’s not typical use case. But still ...
Nothing really conclusive here since there's no side-by-side test results. Still, some chance is better than not having any camera which would result in a zero chance of being able to identify the culprit.

Also, many rider choose to have front and rear cameras so your chances are that one will survive -- provided its the one with the view of the driver.

In any event, some cameras are more robust than others and that's the one measurement that's -- to my knowledge -- not performed as a part of any review.
Old 09-29-18, 03:23 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chainwhip
Even with zoom, in the pic above, neither plate number is readable.

Edit: patrol car "05" is readable,tho.
But both vehicles are identifiable, and had they caused a mishap, chances are they would have come close enough that the plates would have been totally legible. I don't think the resolution is so much an issue as the quality and optical properties of the lens. One might trade width of view for better middle-distance focus - the sharp focus on things close up that you get with GoPro and such always struck me as weird and disconcerting... On the other hand, one can get in a crash with a car that isn't presenting a license plate toward the camera at all, e.g., when a car blows a light or stop sign at an intersection you're riding through, like happened to an acquaintance of mine.
Old 09-29-18, 07:21 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Seems like combining radar like the Garmin Varia and a camera might be a way to get extended battery life. Only record when a vehicle is approaching from behind.
Old 09-29-18, 08:31 AM
Psychocycles

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

This was me one day last year. I had to brake so hard my rear wheel came 1/2 off the ground and barely avoided touching the guy... I'm talking millimeters. He didn't even ever notice.....but I clearly got his plate and called the cops except they said they couldn't do anything since it was a rental car. I got very lucky and unlucky at the same time. I'll take avoiding hitting someone over being able to prosecute them.

I was coming down a 10-12% slope at 35+ mph and this was the one and only time in three years of road riding that I've ever taxed my brakes 100%. 35+ mph to 2-3 in I dunno, 150-200 feet? Miracle if you ask me.
Old 09-29-18, 08:53 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Won't even ride without my Fly6 anymore. Probably should actually use me Fly12 but haven't bought a mount for it and got it for Christmas :-(
Old 09-29-18, 08:54 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Psychocycles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxVA7BQwMJY

This was me one day last year. I had to brake so hard my rear wheel came 1/2 off the ground and barely avoided touching the guy... I'm talking millimeters. He didn't even ever notice.....but I clearly got his plate and called the cops except they said they couldn't do anything since it was a rental car. I got very lucky and unlucky at the same time. I'll take avoiding hitting someone over being able to prosecute them.

I was coming down a 10-12% slope at 35+ mph and this was the one and only time in three years of road riding that I've ever taxed my brakes 100%. 35+ mph to 2-3 in I dunno, 150-200 feet? Miracle if you ask me.
Don't kill yourself trying to go around just roll onto his trunk or hood to absorb the impact. The problem with attempting to go around is that there's always cars in the lane right next to your and you end up encroaching into their space and causing an accident (or worse getting hit by them) trying to avoid one. The idiot driver that cut you off ends up driving off into the sunset completely oblivious to all the damage he has caused.

This reminds me that this type of thing causes my heart to race all the time: there's this hill on my way home where I can top out at 30+ and a McDonald's on the corner where drive-through exists.

They look right at me coming down in the bike lane and still pull right out regardless. The thing that has saved me lately -- and discourages this -- is my headlight which I now run on flash and aimed high during the day. Wish I had a fire truck horn to go with it.
Old 09-29-18, 09:22 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxVA7BQwMJY

So... booking down a residential neighborhood at 35mph at sunset.. the light is low on the horizon, could be rush hour traffic. Did you have headlight on?
Driver probably never saw you on a murdered out bike (I'm guessing it was black with black spokes).
Be careful!
I always say it doesn't count unless there is contact.
I'm thinking about camera, but haven't done it.
Old 09-29-18, 09:30 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
So... booking down a residential neighborhood at 35mph at sunset.. the light is low on the horizon, could be rush hour traffic. Did you have headlight on?
Driver probably never saw you on a murdered out bike (I'm guessing it was black with black spokes).
Be careful!
I always say it doesn't count unless there is contact.
I'm thinking about camera, but haven't done it.
It was actually a major road thoroughfare, just in NJ everything is residential. It was a dangerous part of the commute because of the hill, I didn't really have a choice about my speed unless I wanted to drag my brakes and heat them up. After this incident I tried to find alternative routes that avoided this hill.

Last edited by Psychocycles; 09-29-18 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-29-18, 05:46 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
My Go pro got lost a year ago bought go pro wanna be camera on amazon $40.00 thing is better than go pro.
Just hooked up on gravel bike for 1st race of my old fat life (gravel) tomorrow 😐
Old 09-29-18, 06:38 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@Psychocyles That was WAY too close for comfort. Yikes! It's a shame that the cops coudln't do anything for you though. And that's why I wonder about cameras. For the close calls do they actually help out at all? Will the cops follow up at all? And if so, what will they do?

I can see the video footage being helpful in a real crash, but a close call? I'm not too sure.
Old 09-29-18, 08:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I got a go pro on mine. Worth it too. Camera don’t lie
Old 09-30-18, 05:17 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
@Psychocyles That was WAY too close for comfort. Yikes! It's a shame that the cops coudln't do anything for you though. And that's why I wonder about cameras. For the close calls do they actually help out at all? Will the cops follow up at all? And if so, what will they do?

I can see the video footage being helpful in a real crash, but a close call? I'm not too sure.
The police officer I spoke with was very helpful and really wanted to be able to proceed but said unless I can identify the driver in a court of law there's nothing they could do. Since I was 100% focused on stopping and not crashing and not identifying the driver, I told them I had 0% chance of identifying the driver and we had to let it go. Otherwise, however, they would be able to process charges of driving recklessly or endangerment via driving or whatever the charge is. In the end, though, I guess it depends how sympathetic the cops are. I get the feeling this cop was a roadie with how he was speaking to me...on the other hand, in another town I was very nearly assaulted by a tire iron by an irate motorist in an incident of road rage (I was driving so no camera) and when I report it to the police, the guy straight up told me that he's off in 40 minutes and to come back to file the report after he's off. So, I'd say it's down to how much paperwork the cop wants to do.
Old 09-30-18, 07:32 AM
KraneXL

The police officer I spoke with was very helpful and really wanted to be able to proceed but said unless I can identify the driver in a court of law there's nothing they could do. Since I was 100% focused on stopping and not crashing and not identifying the driver, I told them I had 0% chance of identifying the driver and we had to let it go. Otherwise, however, they would be able to process charges of driving recklessly or endangerment via driving or whatever the charge is. In the end, though, I guess it depends how sympathetic the cops are. I get the feeling this cop was a roadie with how he was speaking to me...on the other hand, in another town I was very nearly assaulted by a tire iron by an irate motorist in an incident of road rage (I was driving so no camera) and when I report it to the police, the guy straight up told me that he's off in 40 minutes and to come back to file the report after he's off. So, I'd say it's down to how much paperwork the cop wants to do.
Is that how it works?
Old 09-30-18, 07:36 AM
Psychocycles

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Is that how it works?
Unfortunately, that's my experience. Straight up denied access to submitting a police report...wonder if I should have spoken to a lawyer when it happened. Oh well, past is past.
Old 09-30-18, 11:03 AM
wayne310

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, that's my experience. Straight up denied access to submitting a police report...wonder if I should have spoken to a lawyer when it happened. Oh well, past is past.
its good to keep numbers of bike accident lawyers.

i ve saved some on my phone in case i need to call them straight away as cops still dont take cyclists very seriously as cops themselves drive cars without following any rules
Old 09-30-18, 05:05 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We had a prosecution here where I live, all because the cyclist had a camera that recorded the truck going through a group of cyclists stopped at a stop sign.
Old 09-30-18, 06:24 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I just ordered and should get it all by wednesday, a Fly12 for the front and a GoPro Hero 5 session for the back. I got squeezed off the road by a cement truck, and it was the last straw. I've made a habit of calling companies when it's a commercial vehicle, and most of them (at least here) are pretty concerned about it. I'm ok as long as they use it for a training opportunity for the driver. But that said, there is the issue with dumb a$$ drivers and I'm getting fed up with that. It seems as the economy picks up, people are in much more of a hurry. Just this year, I've had more incidents with drivers than I probably had in the last 5. Our sheriff here is great, so if I have the data and the driver can be identified in the video, I'm sure they'll pursue it.

I didn't by the Fly6 because I've been using a Varia radar on the back. I also couldn't tell anywhere how good of a taillight it actually is. Anyone have any guidance they could give on this?

J.
Old 10-01-18, 04:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Absolutely. The one time in two years I didn't have my video camera was the one time I got hit. Fortunately there were plenty of witnesses, including a cop at the intersection where it happened. But a camera might have proved the driver was looking at her phone while turning left across traffic. And it might have resulted in a quicker insurance settlement.

I have a near miss about once a month or so. Usually inattentive drivers, although occasionally deliberate brush by passes and right hooks. The camera doesn't seem to deter them, although I doubt the camera is readily visible at a glance -- it's a low profile cylindrical shaped Ion Speed Pro, not a boxy GoPro. The Cycliq Fly cameras are even lower profile.

For extended rides I'll attached a USB external battery. A small USB battery will power my camera for around 5-6 hours beyond the usual 90 minutes, or until the media card is filled. (I think I'm using a 32 GB card.)

I doubt the presence of a camera is a deterrent to inattentive, indifferent, reckless and hostile drivers. There are already surveillance cameras everywhere in urban areas and it doesn't seem to deter crime. It only provides some clues to help catch the worst offenders. Cops rarely do anything about near misses, even when it's obvious the driver was deliberately hostile. I just post those on Facebook with as much info as I can gather, including license plates. Name and shame is about all we can hope for, and some evidence for future use in case the same driver kills someone else.

If I'm recalling correctly there were four hit and runs in my area with three cyclist deaths this summer. In one case surveillance videos showed the driver turn around to check on the cyclist she'd killed but she kept going anyway. She was caught within a week or two, although a witness was probably more instrumental than the distant, low quality surveillance video.

Until there are consistently harsher penalties for inattentive, indifferent, reckless and aggressive driving, including de-horsing drivers for a year, behavior won't change. Ditto more stringent drivers ed and testing. Meanwhile a camera is about all we can do. Although I'm hoping Q will design a helmet mounted harpoon gun, rocket launcher, tack and oil slick dispenser and a few other goodies.
Old 10-02-18, 10:40 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I’ve placed my GoPro Hero Session on my helmet a couple of times, and while I can’t put a finger on it I’d say drivers are generally better behaved when they know/see that they are being recorded, especially in light of today’s social media power. Maybe someone here that knows and has the time and resources should create a YouTube channel so that we can post close call videos and such. Who knows? A video or two might go viral and the moogerfoogers will know that next time they might be recorded.
Old 10-02-18, 11:22 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
I’ve placed my GoPro Hero Session on my helmet a couple of times, and while I can’t put a finger on it I’d say drivers are generally better behaved when they know/see that they are being recorded, especially in light of today’s social media power. Maybe someone here that knows and has the time and resources should create a YouTube channel so that we can post close call videos and such. Who knows? A video or two might go viral and the moogerfoogers will know that next time they might be recorded.
I would but I have poverty internet so until that changes someone else will have to start the ball rolling.
Old 10-02-18, 03:30 PM
Craptacular8

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Camera

Originally Posted by thehammerdog
My Go pro got lost a year ago bought go pro wanna be camera on amazon $40.00 thing is better than go pro.
Just hooked up on gravel bike for 1st race of my old fat life (gravel) tomorrow 😐
You wouldn't happen to be able to come up with the brand/model? I don't need one for everyday, but just the occasional scenic ride video for my own amusement.
Old 10-02-18, 08:59 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
You wouldn't happen to be able to come up with the brand/model? I don't need one for everyday, but just the occasional scenic ride video for my own amusement.
THere's probably a dozen gopro-like action cameras on the market by now. Many of them with similar gopro capabilities that are similar (they all use the same sensor) or just as good in many casual use cases. However, I would not agree that any of them are better. Also keep in mind that the Gopro (especially current) is more an enthusiast use product than it is a consumer use camera.
Old 10-03-18, 06:46 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
I ride 52 miles a day on country roads that are arbored archways shaded from the sun and sheltered from the wind. But some drivers think isolated roads give them license to sideswipe bicycles from behind. I can't find any gopros that will last 3 hours or more. The "experts" at Walmart tell me I should use dashcams but that probably won't work. I want gopros that last longer and will connect to wifi so the action will feed directly to my computer and record in real time. Where is this technology?
Old 10-03-18, 07:51 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I will take as photo of said camera and post it for you.
Sadly, my day in the saddle was not recorded so I need to read the directions for a 3rd time .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.