Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The W+1 Syndrome (Wheelsets)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-18, 10:30 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts

With the recent purchase of an all around, off road, on road, middle of the road, endurance type bike for the winter that came with not so great wheels, I have been looking to get another wheelset. This new bike of mine has disc brakes and I am really appreciating the discs especially with the hilly areas that I ride. Considering it mostly rains through the winter, the stopping power (control) is certainly noticeable on the 35mph descents to the stop sign on soaking roads.

Looking long term, I am thinking my next N+1 will most certainly be a road bike with disc brakes. It would replace the Ridley Helium that I have now (and love) and my justification for this is to get me into a smaller frame. Current frame is a medium (56) and I'm at my max comfortable reach over a long ride on a 90mm stem. So it would be nice to be able to use these rims on both the current and future bikes. (if the 12x100, 12x142 TA standards for road bikes last until next fall)

All that to give you an idea of what I am looking for with a new set of wheels. With all the thousands of options out there, I think I have finally decided on a set of Chris King 45D hubs with Belgium+ Rims. I think these would be a good set of wheels for on or off road that would last me a while. My only reservation with these is that I cannot seem to find a 24/28 set only a 28/28.

So before I commit to buying, I just thought I would get some feedback from the minions on what else is out there that has the similar versatility of these wide rimmed, disc, well made wheels that works for both on and off road...

Also - would 28/28 be a show stopper for you?

-Sean

Last edited by Wilmingtech; 10-25-18 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
would 28/28 be a show stopper for you?

I'm 210# my 28 spoke wheels are 16" 349 - 37.. Brompton..
2 wheels on my bike trailer are 28 spoke, 406 - 20"

Extra (N+1) bikes rather than just wheels ..

If you ride sew Up tires given the Gluing effort and time
spare wheels is a good plan, Pro's have a Truck Full of spares..

happy new bike shopping .. you have a favorite local dealer/ Bike Shop. ?

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-25-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-25-18, 12:50 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Wheels

Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
With the recent purchase of an all around, off road, on road, middle of the road, endurance type bike for the winter that came with not so great wheels, I have been looking to get another wheelset. This new bike of mine has disc brakes and I am really appreciating the discs especially with the hilly areas that I ride. Considering it mostly rains through the winter, the stopping power (control) is certainly noticeable on the 35mph descents to the stop sign on soaking roads.

Looking long term, I am thinking my next N+1 will most certainly be a road bike with disc brakes. It would replace the Ridley Helium that I have now (and love) and my justification for this is to get me into a smaller frame. Current frame is a medium (56) and I'm at my max comfortable reach over a long ride on a 90mm stem. So it would be nice to be able to use these rims on both the current and future bikes. (if the 12x100, 12x142 TA standards for road bikes last until next fall)

All that to give you an idea of what I am looking for with a new set of wheels. With all the thousands of options out there, I think I have finally decided on a set of Chris King 45D hubs with Belgium+ Rims. I think these would be a good set of wheels for on or off road that would last me a while. My only reservation with these is that I cannot seem to find a 24/28 set only a 28/28.

So before I commit to buying, I just thought I would get some feedback from the minions on what else is out there that has the similar versatility of these wide rimmed, disc, well made wheels that works for both on and off road...

Also - would 28/28 be a show stopper for you?

-Sean
November Bicycles offers that very wheelset in a 24/28 or a 28/28. Honestly, I can't imagine anyone would notice 4 extra spokes....you'd really have to be sensitive. I did have a set of disc wheels built up with DT Swiss 350 hubs 28/28 for road/gravel/occasional light touring, I weigh 150. I thought I wanted 24/28, but then decided to error on the side of caution, since I really didn't want to worry about popping spokes if I really loaded it up, or let it rip on a long gravel descent.
Old 10-25-18, 01:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
There are reasonably light wheels with high spoke count.

American Classic RACE 29's are 32 spoke 3 cross and weigh 1450 grams.

This is just an example. There are others.

-Tim-