Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Assistance Needed - Quick vs. Quick CX for husband and wife

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 11-05-18, 02:14 PM
blakesimus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help! My wife and I are both looking for our first hybrids and I've been looking at the Cannondale Quick 3 and Quick CX 3. From looking around on this forum, both seem to have a fairly good reputation. While we'll primarily be riding on paved trails and roads, we do plan on some gravel trails (and some of the roads in our town are...not great). At the same time, we'd like to ride for some longer distances (20K). So the conundrum is, will the Quick do okay in those conditions? If not, will attempting to ride a CX for that distance be miserable? We're both in fairly good shape but still want to have fun. =) Next thing, I know there is a women's version of the Quick series but not the Quick CX, at least that I saw. Do any women (or anyone's female counterparts) ride these? My wife is about 5'4 and fairly athletic.

Thanks again!

edit: thanks for the replies so far! Much appreciated.

Last edited by blakesimus; 11-05-18 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Thanks
Old 11-05-18, 04:57 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
No experience with any of those but, as has been said. If you are racing, fast riding maybe not. But if you are casual with a steady clip, you should do fine on any hybrid.
Old 11-05-18, 08:00 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blakesimus
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your help! My wife and I are both looking for our first hybrids and I've been looking at the Cannondale Quick 3 and Quick CX 3. From looking around on this forum, both seem to have a fairly good reputation. While we'll primarily be riding on paved trails and roads, we do plan on some gravel trails (and some of the roads in our town are...not great). At the same time, we'd like to ride for some longer distances (20K). So the conundrum is, will the Quick do okay in those conditions? If not, will attempting to ride a CX for that distance be miserable? We're both in fairly good shape but still want to have fun. =) Next thing, I know there is a women's version of the Quick series but not the Quick CX, at least that I saw. Do any women (or anyone's female counterparts) ride these? My wife is about 5'4 and fairly athletic.

Thanks again!
Just wanted to say that a quick CX will do just fine on a 20k ride, maybe not road bike fast but quite comfortably.
Old 11-06-18, 02:31 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
20k isn't really that long a distance, and if you are in decent shape then once your butt has gotten used to riding, it's easily doable on pretty much any bike. The right fit and saddle will make most of the difference.
Old 11-06-18, 07:57 AM
blakesimus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
20k isn't really that long a distance, and if you are in decent shape then once your butt has gotten used to riding, it's easily doable on pretty much any bike. The right fit and saddle will make most of the difference.
Thanks for info. The particular ride I’m thinking of would be 20k each way. That’s what I get for posting with a 2 year old in my face... will definitely take fit and saddle into consideration.
Old 11-08-18, 07:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I agree that fit is one of the most important things. Beyond that, buy what you like. I have a Giant Roam (similar to the CX) and my longest ride on it so far is 30 miles (nearly 50km). At the pace that I ride (about 12-15 mph), that's about as long as I have (in terms of an uninterrupted block of time), so that's the limiting factor for me.
Old 11-08-18, 01:07 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
C'Dale Quick

Originally Posted by blakesimus
Hi all,

Thanks again!

edit: thanks for the replies so far! Much appreciated.
I have the men's version of the Quick. Bought it as a gravel/winter bike. Pretty much only use it for winter riding now, but it is a very capable hybrid. Aside from the saddle and color, there is no difference between the unisex version, or the women's. I'm a 5'7" women, and ride the men's medium. I could easily have ridden the large too, there's little difference in reach, and I have a long torso/arms. I'd let preference rule on that one, as there is no other difference. I always swap out saddles and pedals anyway, and tires. I initially put Compass Bon Jon's on there for summer gravel. It was a really cushy ride, suspension would have been overkill. As a winter bike, I just leave the 45Nrth Gravdal tires on there, it rides really nicely, and is substantially lighter in weight, even with the studded Gravdals on there than my Trek FX 7.2 I keep at the office as a lunch time errand bike.
Old 11-08-18, 01:59 PM
blakesimus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info! I'm pretty torn between the CX and just regular Quick. I've read from a lot of people that the suspension adds a lot of tedium to the ride and may not be worth the hassle. (this may just be the 'suspension doesn't belong on a hybrid regardless' crowd). How's it been for you? Our roads are kind of crappy...
Old 11-23-18, 12:10 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I think both bikes are a great choice, however, it all depends on the condition of the trails and roads. If the Cannondale Quick CX has a lockout fork, it might be a better option. Basically, lockout allows you to disengage the suspension fork so it doesn't feel "squishy" when you're really pounding up a hill. I used to ride an older mountain bike on the road and found it extremely comfortable. The wide tires were a drag, but the suspension fork didn't slow me down when it was locked out.
Old 11-29-18, 08:47 PM
wombat_alex

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Agreed. I have no experience with the CX but I commute >20k one way to work on a Quick 4, and also did a century on it earlier this year with a pretty decent time of 5hrs 50+ mins. If you're that much concerned with road conditions, replace the stock tires. I replaced mine before the century ride anyway. Have no issues going 20-25mph on flats (32 - 40 kph).
Old 11-29-18, 08:54 PM
wombat_alex

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would also pay attention to the gearing and gear steps. Quick 3 is supposedly a better model but gears were spread much better for me on the Quick 4. I know, hydraulic brakes are another advantage of the 3 but I also locked the wheel with rim brakes a few times already; what happens next depends purely on the traction of your tires and their grip: most likely, you'll skid regardless of the brakes system if the ground is wet or covered with leaves/dirt/ice. That's why "better stopping power in wet conditions" is a bit of a marketing statement: yeah, better power, but locking the wheel isn't coming to a stop.

Edit: oh, look, the 2019 Quick 4 also comes with hydraulics this year. So the difference between Quick 3 and 4 this year basically comes down to gearing (50/34 48/36/26 respectively, both 9 speed). I like the 48/38/28 9-speed, not sure how 48/36/x would work. The issue with compact 50/34 of Quick 3 is that it's still 9-speed which means bigger steps between gears, and you'll only be using 50t ring unless you're climbing a steep hill. 11-speed would work better with the compact but then you're looking at Quick 1 which is in a different price category. Quick 4 CX is geared with 48/38/28 crank this year but it's 8-speed so you may not like it. Bottom line, I'd do the math on gear ratios and shifting patterns. It seems to be the only meaningful difference between Quick 3-4 + CX this year.

Quick LTD is geared with 1x but the crank is 42t, which is paired with 11-42 10-speed cassette, you may want to consider this option too. I can see how my answer only complicated things for you but I believe that gearing is the single most important difference among the bikes you're considering.

Last edited by wombat_alex; 11-29-18 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 09:32 PM
blakesimus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really appreciate your response. It give me a lot more to consider. I'll definitely look into gearing and see if I can get a hold of both to try out.

Thanks again!
Old 12-10-18, 11:05 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I vote Quick 3 of those two choices for the reasons you gave.
Old 12-11-18, 03:38 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I have the Quick CX 3 (2014), but would have also been happy with the standard Quick. The CX was just the right price, the right place, at the right time. Both are great for sub-$1000 hybrids. The non-CX is a little more road oriented, but happily accepts trail tires. And the CX is more trail oriented, or rough roads, but also happily accepts slicks for road use. If tires are taken out of the equation it comes down to the lock-out suspension on the CX versus rigid (lighter) fork on the non-CX.

For a 40km round trip ride on the roads either one is fine. My preference would be to fit road tires. For 60km round trip, still either is fine. For 100km round trip I would favor the rigid fork, but by that point I would strongly prefer my drop bar road bike anyway.

if it's your only bike and you mostly ride on the road get the non-CX. If you have a road bike already or ride more abusive roads or light trails, the CX. But really it's easy to be happy with either one on your 40km rides so long as it fits .
Old 12-12-18, 09:03 AM
blakesimus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!