Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

You're crazy for riding in these temperatures!

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

You're crazy for riding in these temperatures!

Old 12-18-18, 02:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
To those that haven't spent time in the Twin Cities, this is a good explanation about the weather conditions that create the "crazy bikers" up here.

The climate of the Twin Cities is classified as hot-summer humid continental (Köppen Dfa).[2] A feature of the humid continental climate in the United States is that weather can be unpredictable with extremes occurring in many phases of measurements. For example, the Twin Cities has a hotter all-time record high temperature of 108 °F (42 °C) than the entire state of Florida, despite being located nearly 1000 miles farther from the equator. Conversely, temperatures during the winter months are colder in the Twin Cities than in any other major metropolitan area in the continental United States, and are about equal to those in Anchorage, Alaska, which is around 1,000 miles (1,600 km) closer to the North Pole. The Twin Cities can also experience droughts, floods, and on average are windier than Chicago, Illinois (the "Windy City", although that is not the origin of the phrase).
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...0%93Saint_Paul

Yes, it's an ego-builder to be a year-round biker round here (most Canadian bikers can claim the same bragging-rights)
Old 12-19-18, 04:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
I realize that for the time being, I have a fantastic winter bike, and I didn't need to buy it, nor did I build it. It's the fleet of Citi Bike bikes in the city. I don't want to ride any of my bikes in this weather, but Citi Bike is fine. It's not a pleasant bike to ride for the most part, but I really feel damned safe on it, because it weighs 50 pounds and makes me upright. I fishtailed on one, once, in slush, and I was able to recover pretty well. It has big MTB style slick tires, and they seem to hold on quite well. If I didn't have this available, I would build myself a heavy winter bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-19-18, 05:37 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Question for those who live in cities with CitiBike / BCycle type bike shares, and actually have winter - does your bike share operate throughout the winter? Here, they just shut down for the season last Saturday. IIRC, they experimented with limited service (a few select stations open) over the winter a couple years ago, but it must not have gone well, because they're back to complete shutdown in December.
Old 12-19-18, 10:42 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Question for those who live in cities with CitiBike / BCycle type bike shares, and actually have winter - does your bike share operate throughout the winter? Here, they just shut down for the season last Saturday. IIRC, they experimented with limited service (a few select stations open) over the winter a couple years ago, but it must not have gone well, because they're back to complete shutdown in December.
There are programs like LimeBike in South Bend, IN that don't have docking stations...when you're finished with your ride you just leave it where you want. But, they don't shut down for the winter.

Dan

Old 12-20-18, 08:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Nice Ride operates from the first week of April through the first week of November. The bikes and stations are removed during the winter in order to protect them from damage (particularly corrosion from road salt) and make way for snow plows. reference

We just got Lime in some surrounding suburbs, it'll be interesting to see what they do in the winter (likely dumped all over the place and rusting).

* for the record, I'm a fan of bike share programs and use them while traveling all the time; but I think the Lime system is not helping with their 'drop it anywhere' system. Nice Share added dockless bike share, but they have marked parking spaces and charge you for not returning it to a marked space. Reference
Old 12-20-18, 10:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Yes, Citi Bike in NYC remains open. But they do shut it down in the most severe weather. I believe they let you dock but not check bikes out. We could argue over whether NYC has actual winter. I think most would say we do, though it's not as severe as in other places.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 12-21-18, 12:25 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Eh ... Better "Crazy" than "Insane".
Old 01-03-19, 09:54 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Who has gotten those comments before? When rolling out of the driveway for a 25 mile ride on a 30°F, but otherwise beatuiful afternoon...a neighbor comments to me "It's too cold for bicycling. You're crazy."...as he loaded his skis into the roof rack on his car for a trip up to the mountains for some weekend skiing...where it'll surely be significantly colder than the 30° I was ridding in.

Dan
Comment One (In parking lot): "Oh my, it feels too cold to go biking today."
Response: "True, but we all have to do what we have to do."
Reply: "True, fair enough."

Comment Two (in Elevator): "Oh, I saw you biking in the snow today, I felt so bad for you."
Response: "No need to worry, I bike 10 miles to work every day, and I've found that if it's not at least 10 miles, it's not worth doing."
Old 01-03-19, 09:59 AM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Is that your post ride look? I suppose you Minnesotans have to be pretty cold adapted to be able to smile after that. The coldest I've ever experienced in life was 0 degrees visiting a friend in Arkansas during the holidays, and I cannot express how miserable I was. Not snow, just ice for the entire week.

I'm an all-weather cycling supporter, but at this point even I would be tempted to joint the "crazy cyclist" vote. The again, I'd think that for anybody standing out in that cold.
I found that I'm very warm when moving around on a bike. I start feeling cold though when I'm standing around waiting in biking clothes
Old 01-03-19, 10:00 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
To those that haven't spent time in the Twin Cities, this is a good explanation about the weather conditions that create the "crazy bikers" up here.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...0%93Saint_Paul

Yes, it's an ego-builder to be a year-round biker round here (most Canadian bikers can claim the same bragging-rights)
I always enjoy the twin cities when I visit my in-laws there. Before he was (rightfully) discredited, Garrison Keillor had a bit about how the cold weather drives out the riff-raff. People who stick around in the harsh conditions have a little bit more character and fortitude. I know it was tongue-in-cheek but I think there's a lot to that.

We have crappy winters in kansas but not especially cold or wet. They're just long and dreary, but without much snow so we can't even go sledding that often. On the bright side, it's not hard to bike outdoors for much of the winter as long as you know how to layer, which is a trial and error process.
Old 01-04-19, 01:38 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
This thread is making me nostalgic for real winter. I know y'all up in the Cities have had a bit of it, but a bit further to the south and west on the Wisconsin state line, we still have not had a drop below 0F.

There are just too many decisions with these warmer winter temperatures: studs or not? One layer or two? Which gloves? Colder is, in many ways, easier.

Plus, I do enjoy the look of shock and horror when I walk into work in extreme cold and complain about how hot I am.
Old 01-07-19, 12:28 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@wipekitty, yes, my climate zone is like that for most of winter. That's why I sometimes wish we had real winter here. Saturday was 35ºF and rainy. Yeck!

Old 01-07-19, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@wipekittySaturday was 35ºF and rainy
yup Saturday was not a pleasant day. stuck my nose out my back door more than once before deciding that it was my day to ride & to just suck it up & get myself clothed properly. got out for 1.5 hrs but was glad to get back home & hang my wet outer wear
Old 01-07-19, 12:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
There are just too many decisions with these warmer winter temperatures: studs or not? One layer or two? Which gloves? Colder is, in many ways, easier
haha was thinking this myself recently. then yesterday, late afternoon, a vicious snow squall rolled through our area. the sky got dark like a weird thunderstorm, then the wind howled sideways with lots of snow. I was like: "oh darn that's what winter looks like & it's coming!" cuz I guess I kinda forgot ... selective amnesia?

I'd be OK with steady 30s, some 40s & some 20s. guess we'll have to grin & bear it when it hits. only 2.5 months 'till April!
Old 01-07-19, 02:16 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
haha was thinking this myself recently. then yesterday, late afternoon, a vicious snow squall rolled through our area. the sky got dark like a weird thunderstorm, then the wind howled sideways with lots of snow. I was like: "oh darn that's what winter looks like & it's coming!" cuz I guess I kinda forgot ... selective amnesia?

I'd be OK with steady 30s, some 40s & some 20s. guess we'll have to grin & bear it when it hits. only 2.5 months 'till April!
74 more days, to be exact, not that I'm counting, or anything
Old 01-07-19, 06:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Yes, I am.
Old 01-08-19, 01:44 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It’s been weird again this season. November turned cold, but December was warmer than November. January has been warmer yet, hitting 55 one day, and near 50 two other days. Were it not for the late sunrise, early sunset, and very low arc of the sun across the sky, I could easily make myself believe it’s late March or early April. Our lows at night for the first 8 days of January now have only been just below freezing most nights. Right now it’s 45 degrees atv 2:30 AM. I’ve had to get out the snow shovel 0 times since the first snow in November - we’ve gotten maybe an inch ar most about 5 or 6 times, but it melts right awsy. OTOH, we’ve had a lot of soaking rains.

So, it’s been really great to get out there this “winter” - but I actually miss having some snow cover - both of my bikes set up for winter have studs, so it’s tough going on pavement, relatively, but good for rebuilding the aerobic capacity, endurance, and muscle strength I’ve lost.

But I certainly can’t say it’s been crazy extreme cold riding.

I’m sure reality will set in soon and back to reality. As long as it doesn’t go like last year, when March was cold wih snow, and April was extremely cold with significant snow until the very end. I want spring to be spring.

OTOH, I kind of miss the magic of riding in a snow squall at 15 degrees.

Weather was never this weird when I was a kid in the 1970’s - winter was winter.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 01-08-19 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 09:27 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Same here. Where are you, @DaveQ24. I sometimes enjoy the unusual changes of weather, but the trend also makes me scared of things to come. We're in the mid Hudson Valley for a few days. It went down to 19ªF yesterday morning, and it felt damn cold, but only because we haven't had much normal weather here.

Old 01-08-19, 04:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I agree with you guys. We are crazy.

Last night it got down to 53° F. Brr!!!

I can't wait for the long, cold, bleak six weeks of winter to be over.

Really looking forward to the warmer days and daffodils in February.

Tim,
Atlanta
Old 01-09-19, 03:59 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@noglider - SE Michigan, Detroit NW suburbs.

Pattern shift coming, at least a bit of one. Cold front that came through has dropped the temps for the next few days, highs in the upper 20s lows in the teens.

Yesterday hit 50, last of that for a while I suspect.

Last edited by DaveQ24; 01-09-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-09-19, 10:04 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Minneapolis has had a big January thaw with temps getting to mid-40s F a few days in a row. Most snow is gone, and replaced with ice. Now we have normal temps (highs around 10-15F), so this skating rink is here to stay. I'm very happy to have studded tires on my bikes!
Old 01-09-19, 10:24 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I agree with you guys. We are crazy.

Last night it got down to 53° F. Brr!!!

I can't wait for the long, cold, bleak six weeks of winter to be over.

Really looking forward to the warmer days and daffodils in February.

Tim,
Atlanta
I even had to wear gloves! Hard to believe that we can manage this frigid weather but somehow we keep going.
Old 01-09-19, 07:22 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
@noglider - SE Michigan, Detroit NW suburbs.

Pattern shift coming, at least a bit of one. Cold front that came through has dropped the temps for the next few days, highs in the upper 20s lows in the teens.

Yesterday hit 50, last of that for a while I suspect.
Yup, Detroit gets our weather, slightly moderated (sometimes) and 24 hrs later, almost like clockwork. Monday it hit 50-ish. This morning, 13F and wind. Tonight, single digits.

People in this part of the country like to say "I like the change of seasons." But all in one week?
Old 01-09-19, 08:39 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I even had to wear gloves! Hard to believe that we can manage this frigid weather but somehow we keep going.
All y'all are hardy folk up north in Alpharetta.
Old 01-09-19, 09:01 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
All y'all are hardy folk up north in Alpharetta.
you folks up north sure will ride in anything

they actually shut the bike share here down for the winter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.