Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link A7 vs Graziella Metro 6s

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Link A7 vs Graziella Metro 6s

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 01:12 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sargia18
Goodmorning everyone,

I' m currently looking to buy a folding bike as a gift to my girlfriend. I should say here that I am quite a newbie in the bicycle world, but I have made some research in bike stores. Taking into account my budget and the fact that I would like to buy from a local store (so as to have accesible service if anything happens) my options seem to be these two:
  1. The Tern Link A7 model (which I believe is the safest option)
  2. The Graziella Metro 6s ( I really can't post the link with the specifications because I am a new member but you can find them if you search "lagraziella" )
I am really considering buying the Graziella, because I like its appearance A LOT more and it is going to be a gift to a girl after all. However I haven't been able to find much on the internet, if anything, abound the Graziella brand and I am kind of wary about this option

Any help would be really welcome. Is there anyone with some experience of this Graziella model? Do you think that it would be far superior to the Tern, given that the link A7 is also an introducing model of the Tern brand?

I don't know id this will be of any help, but the girl is about 1.74 m , 62 kg and will be using the bike mainly for leisure time and maybe some commuting, but needs it to be foldable.

Thanks in advance!
To finally say something useful for the OP: Graziella used to be a famous fashionable folder from Italy in the 60ies and 70ies. Basiscally a design icon to a degree, while not as famous as the original Moulton or the iconic Italian Due Milia:

(Picture Source: https://auctionet.com/de/191019-cyke...images#image_1)

Picture Source: https://honzosblog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/graziella/)

As far as I know their most famous one was their 16" version (as seen above with Bridgit Bardot riding it) . They also had a folding tandem with 16" wheels and later, in the 70ies possibly with 20" wheels:

(picture source: tandem graziella)

Quite recently the brand got revitalized, building fanshionable retro folders like the one you saw, making use of the image and design elements from 50 years ago. I've never seen one of the modern ones but would assume that they are probably better looking than riding, having in mind that the basic concept and geometry dates from the miserable folding bikes from the 60ies. In other words: modern folder desigins probably ride better and are more ergonomical. The modern Graziella is basically something like the new beetle of folding bikes.

Which folder to choose is highly dependent from the intended use as well as from how your girlfried feels on it. And from the country you are living in - which determines what is available on the market and which level of support a given brand has.
Regarding Tern and Dahon I personally would buy neither of the two, but this is personal taste. I agree with others that both are about in the same price region and would in their mid range models consider them comparable and good value for money. Tern is maybe a bit more modern looking in terms of color-schemes, has in some areas more modern and thought through accessories and has a more stringent lineup of models. Dahon has decades longer history, a huge and almost chaotic range of models, changing from market to market and from year to year. They seem however to be good bang for the buck but maybe a bit more technical than many girls would like - depends from your girlfriend. Personally I would not buy either of the two, but that's personal taste. Reason is for one that I do neither like how they ride (obviously personal taste) nor the design finish in detail (also personal taste). With Tern - while I consider the judgement from others about the brand to go far over the top - I have a maybe unjustified bad gutt-feeling (owning a Tern from those early years when the frames broke, but one that was not affected by the recalls) and therefor would and can avoid it as there are plenty of alternatives on the market for me. No need to think about buying a Tern for me. W/o my personal history I'd probably not have an issue with them. With Dahon here in Germany support and the spare-parts-situation is nightmarish and their chaotic lineup does not help. And I know a couple of people that had to throw their Dahons away because of various trouble with the frame on - at that time - only a few years old bikes and no available spare parts and no support from the distributor or Dahon. Obviously only some people out of many customers were affected but that does not help if you are one of them.

So in your situation, as you want to buy locally and only have the choice between Graziella and Tern I would go for the Tern but let your girlfriend make the choice what she prefers. I'd assume those two bikes ride massively differently, so you have a 50% chance to go wrong if you choose in her name.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 04-25-19 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-25-19, 02:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
To finally say something useful for the OP:
Ouch. I think you have been somewhat unfair with your broad brush criticism of the thread thus far. With a few exceptions, I think we have gone above and beyond in giving the o.p. free advice in answer to his question. Including yourself. Nevertheless, the Dahon/Tern imbroglio notwithstanding, there remains another reason why the o.p. might want to re-consider their choice of gift: I thought it would be obvious, but perhaps the o.p.'s inexperience with bicycles in general insulates them from the fact that people can, and have been badly hurt on bicycles. Wouldn't it suck rocks to be the source of the bike that ... ... perfume is a much safer choice. About the only risk I can see is if the now enhanced attraction of 'the girl' brings her to the attention of someone who can buy her the Bentley (or is that a Rolls Royce) in one of your photographs, rather than a miniature bicycle. At least in that case people would pity him, not despise the ground he walks on. Hmmm. Maybe perfume is not such a good idea after all. There still remains oodles of things an imaginative young (hopefully he is young if he is into 'girls' vs women) man can spend money on. Clothes? A trip (memories). Art (painting). Art (glass sculpture). Art (ceramic sculpture). Bike ... bad idea, unless she is an avid and experienced cyclist, and if that is the case then my advice is for him to use his money to get a bike of his own. Pronto. If his girl looks anything like the one in the photo he doesn't have a lot of time to remain out of shape and wondering about all this.
Old 04-25-19, 04:27 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If his girl looks anything like the one in the photo he doesn't have a lot of time to remain out of shape and wondering about all this.
The girl in the photo will turn 85 this year, so I'd assume she got a little bit out of shape herself in the meantime.
Thank you for your kind words. With the not-so-helpful posts I did definitively not refer to yours but to mine and to the others from this useless OT-discussion that always starts as soon as somone innocently writes the word "Tern" in this forum... I would not be surprised if the OP had already escaped this forum, deflected by the discussion.