Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Old 07-15-19, 03:14 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by zigmeister
Thanks for this post...sounds a lot like one of my local weekend rides where there are a lot of mostly fast Masters racers/riders. There are some former Pro and a mix of Cat 1-5s. Most of these people I see at the 35+ Masters races. So already, you know there are going to be 50% of the group that isn't going to want, or be able to do pulls at 30mph. Even with a stop sign and a few corners where we slow, it is 26+mph avg for 25-30 miles. People are red lined on this ride all the time. Then, when people pull off or refuse to pull through the pace line and move over to the left side people coming back off the front due to the crazy pace, or won't pull through and just want to sit on the wheels in front...which is like 75% of the group BTW, here comes the usual 4-5 people yelling at them about sucking wheels, not taking pulls etc. Or, they just like to target some people for jumping roundabouts, when 4-5 people do all the time. But one is their buddy wearing the same club kit...but choose to yell something dumb to the person they don't know about being dangerous jumping the roundabout...when it is done safely, piece of cake, it is nothing and done very safely and you avoid the bad bike handling around the curve...hence why I do it.

When you have some guys like a former State RR and TT champions, or US Pro rider in the group that can simply ride from the back of the 40-50 person group, and go to the front and hammer along at 30-32mph for seemingly miles, then string everybody out redlining people...you should expect that a big portion of the group is never going to pull, if they do, it isn't going to be pretty and of course, things start to get messy, unorganized...and then yelling commences. For us, it is like 4-5 people that seemingly are always starting nonsense with some people. This includes a woman or two. I thought woman were supposed to be the more sensible of the sexes? Guess not..Type A personalities with them I guess as well.

I can go on and on about this one local ride...if it wasn't such good training, I would be out of there. But it really is getting to the point, and maybe their entire end-game of these people, to get rid of people they don't like on this ride for whatever reason...including not pulling through at times, which of course those same people sit in and don't pull themselves plenty of times when it gets going bananas on the ride.

It is a combination of the fast pace, people not pulling through, and the worst part of that, the attitude of some people that really make it a not very fun ride anymore.

So many people, estimate 15%, no longer show up to this ride because of the nonsense/dangerous crap that is going on at time, like running this one stop sign always....then the stop sign runners like to jump/take off and use it as some attack point and the rest is chasing for 2 miles to bring it back together. Dangerous, childish etc...it is a training ride. Go down the road 3 miles to another group ride, not racers mostly, but still a good training ride/speed/tempo, the ride and people are a complete 180 degree...friendly, chatting, making conversation even if strangers/new to the group. But this Master/high-level big portion racer group...what a difference in people/attitudes with some of them.

I know, I'm the problem and I'm going to get yelled at.
Try not to kill yourselves boys. P.S. Blow me.
Old 07-15-19, 03:42 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Ya had some crazy 15mph group rides we had pros join up one time pulling gigawatts at 17mph so naturally guys would redline wouldn’t help pull so ya lots of yelling
Old 07-15-19, 04:01 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
17 mph!?!? Were you on ebikes?!?
Old 07-15-19, 06:39 PM
zigmeister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Think I've located those 4 *******s on that ride.

They are all in this thread for sure.
Old 09-13-19, 11:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Wow, I've missed some good stuff in here.

I think when some super fast rides get too big, but don't have some kind of "Darwin hill".........there's problems. And Darwin hill shouldn't catch a "sprinter" type out. Just folks who don't really belong.

A perfect example of this was the Assault on Mt. Mitchell in the first hour to 90 minutes. Freaking couple hundred people in the front group flying along at like 30mph average and not having to do any more than like 120w. All sorts of stupid going on in there. There was a dude off into a field at some point, he was SUPER lucky there wasn't a cow wire fence there. There would have been a disaster.

The Darwin hill doesn't come until "Bill's Hill" some hours into the ride.

Our weekly ride is kind of crap for this conversation. It's mostly a segment hunting playtime. The city breaks up the route too much to be similar to these rides you speak of.

People burn a match on one segment, but not other stuff. Some people will pull a long time, some not. One or two still try to "win the ride" doing dumb stuff.

If I want the ride to really hurt, I do some kind of workout at lunch that has a good amount of intensity to it. Like some 3x3's or 3x10's. This more than makes up for this not being the "fastest" ride in town. However, I've done much faster rides but always have more NP on this one.

Then again, this ride started out with the A's doing 23mi at around 18.5mph avg on about 60 feet per mile elevation two years ago. Now, we're at 20.5mph some nights. This is with about 30 turns in the route and about a dozen stop signs or stop lights to slow us.

I've done the route alone at 21mph, but that's because it was 6:30AM on a Sunday morning and I could just blow through everything. It's THAT slow a route during the evening with traffic and stops.

We're not on your level of "350w pulls" whatsoever. Lol. On the in-town ride I'll usually accumulate 10+ minutes of power at 350+ watts. Chump change for y'all, but plenty for me.

I'm kind of over worrying about what other people are doing. I just want a workout, to see some fellow riders, and share a beer afterwards. Oh, and get back to my car ALIVE.
Old 09-13-19, 02:08 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,729 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Wow, I've missed some good stuff in here.

I think when some super fast rides get too big, but don't have some kind of "Darwin hill".........there's problems. And Darwin hill shouldn't catch a "sprinter" type out. Just folks who don't really belong.

A perfect example of this was the Assault on Mt. Mitchell in the first hour to 90 minutes. Freaking couple hundred people in the front group flying along at like 30mph average and not having to do any more than like 120w. All sorts of stupid going on in there. There was a dude off into a field at some point, he was SUPER lucky there wasn't a cow wire fence there. There would have been a disaster.

The Darwin hill doesn't come until "Bill's Hill" some hours into the ride.

Our weekly ride is kind of crap for this conversation. It's mostly a segment hunting playtime. The city breaks up the route too much to be similar to these rides you speak of.

People burn a match on one segment, but not other stuff. Some people will pull a long time, some not. One or two still try to "win the ride" doing dumb stuff.

If I want the ride to really hurt, I do some kind of workout at lunch that has a good amount of intensity to it. Like some 3x3's or 3x10's. This more than makes up for this not being the "fastest" ride in town. However, I've done much faster rides but always have more NP on this one.

Then again, this ride started out with the A's doing 23mi at around 18.5mph avg on about 60 feet per mile elevation two years ago. Now, we're at 20.5mph some nights. This is with about 30 turns in the route and about a dozen stop signs or stop lights to slow us.

I've done the route alone at 21mph, but that's because it was 6:30AM on a Sunday morning and I could just blow through everything. It's THAT slow a route during the evening with traffic and stops.

We're not on your level of "350w pulls" whatsoever. Lol. On the in-town ride I'll usually accumulate 10+ minutes of power at 350+ watts. Chump change for y'all, but plenty for me.

I'm kind of over worrying about what other people are doing. I just want a workout, to see some fellow riders, and share a beer afterwards. Oh, and get back to my car ALIVE.
The most important question would be.... Have you had to yell at anyone for doing something that may have prevented you from getting back home ALIVE?
Old 09-15-19, 12:42 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Try not to kill yourselves boys. P.S. Blow me.
The Pope has spoken!
Old 09-15-19, 07:10 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Every single person that yelled at someone in this thread wears shirts with pencil protectors and got their ass kicked in school
Old 09-16-19, 07:30 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
A new guy just joined our small local neighborhood group. He's strong but he's been riding less than a year.
He was swerving all over the place and couldn't hold his line.
I refrained from saying anything (or yelling at him).

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 09-17-19, 07:52 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8260 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
A new guy just joined our small local neighborhood group. He's strong but he's been riding less than a year.
If you're not going to yell at him you should take him aside and talk to him about keeping a line. Some guys have a lot of trouble with this even after having it explained to them.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-17-19, 08:18 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I'm that guy (well, without the swerving, I can hold a line lol), but I've only been riding about a year, ultra running background so I brought a strong engine to the bike game and had no problems jumping right into the A group rides. But I told the group to please let me know if I was doing anything wrong/stupid/unsafe, because you don't know what you don't know. They've been great about giving me pointers without being ******bags, but I've also done my part to pay attention to what the group and other riders are doing and trying to learn as quickly as I can.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 09-17-19, 12:47 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If you're not going to yell at him you should take him aside and talk to him about keeping a line. Some guys have a lot of trouble with this even after having it explained to them.
We've got a couple ex-racers in our group that like to take on that role. I just like to grumble.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 09-17-19, 01:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
I just like to grumble.
Time for a new thread: "We're going to grumble at you."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-17-19, 02:28 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Time for a new thread: "We're going to grumble at you."
People will just think that it's about on-bike nutrition fueling and upset stomachs.
Old 05-28-20, 08:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Learn the art of soft-pedaling. Basically, you are coasting, but you keep turning the pedals over, just not fast enough to engage the pawls of the freewheel. It looks smoother, but more importantly it is smoother because you just have to increase the rotation a bit rather than starting from zero.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
+1
If more people would soft pedal, instead of coast, it would make my life in the paceline so much more relaxing.
yet if you watch eg. the TDF, many riders in the middle of the peloton, especially in the earlier miles, will be seen coasting.
Old 05-28-20, 08:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
yet if you watch eg. the TDF, many riders in the middle of the peloton, especially in the earlier miles, will be seen coasting.
The middle of the peloton is not the middle of a paceline. Beyond that, how often does someone with the physical gifts, dedication, and skill set to be riding in the TdF show up at your group rides? If it's not terribly often, we probably shouldn't be using them as a counter argument.
Old 05-28-20, 09:22 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The middle of the peloton is not the middle of a paceline. Beyond that, how often does someone with the physical gifts, dedication, and skill set to be riding in the TdF show up at your group rides? If it's not terribly often, we probably shouldn't be using them as a counter argument.
I do tend to soft pedal in groups, eg even tucked on a downhill, but mostly because there are enough 'experts' in the bike club who are made nervous and start braking when one stops pedaling because they 'think' that person is going to be slowing down. And then they yell at you.. see, we're back on topic!
Old 06-13-20, 10:27 PM
Fourbtgait

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Interesting post, took me a day and a half to read it all with breaks. Even more interesting to see/read people’s reactions and look within myself. Recreational road rider, mostly by myself, always amazed to watch the small training groups pass me by, the technical ability, the focus.
Reading the very first post ES wrote, I never took it down the path of anger or self-righteousness many seemed to go. Was it actual yelling in a frenzy of anger or loud voice as at that pace and concentration, a normal voice would not work. The jersey tug? I never saw that as a physical yank you off your bike as much as a tug/touch to instruct or push you away. Often many, including myself read written words too literally from our point of view, not thinking there are alternates.
I find it hard to understand also why people don’t think others can ride that pace. My total road time is minimal but even at 63 with a knee issue I often can maintain 19-20mph on public toads and not be pushing myself. No, not for miles yet, but give me time.
i learned a lot reading this, not just about group rides but more importantly how even as a solo rider I can ride better and not impede those behind me, nor get frustrated with those in front of me.
thank you Event Services.

Even I yelled at a group of Young guy riders taking up an 8’ mup trail as I came around the corner. First it was “on your left”, which freaked them out to where one hit his front brake to hard and his rear wheel lifted swung into one of his group as I passed him narrowly through the bunch grass loudly saying WTF.
Old 06-16-20, 06:51 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Our Tuesday night ride is fast and furious, and strangely has no egos. It's all the fast guys in the metro-Detroit area. We rotate a double echelon at about 30mph. We sprint at pre-determined points. We regroup. We chit chat. Then we fire it up again. We have sprinters and lead-outs. But again, no egos.

And every week, we get new riders jumping into our line and trying to roll with us. That's fine. Go for it. But you should be prepared to meet a very steep learning curve.
Some fail to realize what we're doing, and when they make mistakes, we yell.

You will get yelled at for the following mistakes:
- If you're on the front, do NOT pull the line through the bumpiest section of pavement. GO AROUND IT! There is no need to trash our wheels and bodies.
- If you're on the front, don't ride on the very edge of the pavement. Give some room for the echelon behind you.
- If you're on the front, you MUST pedal down the hills. Do not coast.
- If the line is hammering and you want out, you must hammer until you are on the front - even if it kills you - and then pull off. Do not pull out of the middle of the line. That's dangerous, and it creates a gap that the rider behind you must cover. You will get yelled at.
- When it's your turn to pull through and take your turn on the front, DO NOT accelerate. That's bad.
- When it's your turn to pull off the front, flick your elbow and move smoothly to the side. Nothing abrupt.

Please do not call us elitist. And don't ask us to 'dumb down' our training ride.
this is all just standard stuff

our Rockland group those all that + the designed sprint portions of the ride
Old 03-04-21, 12:48 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It's been a year since I've been on a group ride. I miss the yelling.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-04-21, 01:21 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Oh my. This thread started back when I was originally active on here. I was away for a decade and now it's back. I rejoined right around the time of P-Cad's death - purely coincidentally. This thread makes me miss him even though I never knew him in IRL.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 03-04-21, 01:27 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Sometimes I ride the TT bike on my Zwift group rides just so my teammates can yell at me.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-04-21, 01:38 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Every time I see this thread it reminds me of a certain Seinfeld episode.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-04-21, 02:29 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
You got me excited that we'd captured yet another new person who is oblivious to how old this is.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-04-21, 02:39 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Anyone yells at me now, they better be downwind or I'll sue their ass. **** has gotten real.
Likes For MoAlpha:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.