Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

How long riding fixed? How far do you ride?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

How long riding fixed? How far do you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-08, 12:14 PM
2new2this
Head Chief

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dayvan cowboy
Suck it up, Frank. Winter riding is fun after you adjust to the cold as long as there's no ice or wet leaves on the road, or both, and you fall and f up your knee.
I figured you, or anyone, would say that. I've always wanted to ride in the snow, but getting out there when it is sub freezing is very hard for me. Maybe I just need some new, warm clothes.
Old 11-18-08, 12:19 PM
missbyamile
Legit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must say I'm impressed by anyone that rides in snow/crazy cold weather. I'm kind of a spoiled brat, having never lived outside of the bay area.
Old 11-18-08, 01:38 PM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by missbyamile
I must say I'm impressed by anyone that rides in snow/crazy cold weather. I'm kind of a spoiled brat, having never lived outside of the bay area.
Wish I could say I had a choice.
Old 11-18-08, 01:44 PM
Prudy
I like bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle is fun in the winter -- 20mph headwinds and pouring rain for 6 months.

Not a lot of snow, though. Just have to gear-up -- it can be kind of fun, actually.
Old 11-18-08, 01:52 PM
synapsemusic
GORSH DAMNIT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been riding fixed for ohhhh 3 weeks? wish it was longer than that, it's so so much fun
my commute to campus is only like 2 miles but tack on probably 4-5 miles around campus daily

got the funniest looks going uphill in the snow today as i passed some guys on geared bikes
Old 11-18-08, 01:57 PM
devilshaircut

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT Pro, Schwinn Le Tour Conversion, Free Spirit polo beater, Cervelo P2T, aluminum tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by synapsemusic
been riding fixed for ohhhh 3 weeks? wish it was longer than that, it's so so much fun
my commute to campus is only like 2 miles but tack on probably 4-5 miles around campus daily

got the funniest looks going uphill in the snow today as i passed some guys on geared bikes
Yeah, you do get funny looks. If they only realized that fixie riders don't really have the option to go slow up hills. Hahaha.
Old 11-18-08, 02:01 PM
2new2this
Head Chief

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshaircut
Yeah, you do get funny looks. If they only realized that fixie riders don't really have the option to go slow up hills. Hahaha.
Sure they do. Walking. lol. But yeah, theres a reason why its, htfu, not htfd.
Old 11-18-08, 06:38 PM
middy
Ketchup

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
My bad, how long have you been riding SS? How far do you ride?
Not counting all the years on BMX and Stingray bikes as a kid, I've ridden SS for about 3 months. I ride a 10-15 route 2 or 3 times a week. Not very far, but I ride it as fast as I can.
Old 11-18-08, 08:16 PM
ryanlovesyou
veggieburglar

Bikes: 60s Peugeot conversion, 2002 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2007 Bianchi "Everyone has one" Pista, Beat up Beach Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK

i grew up in west san jose- know of any good rides in the south bay area?
there's a cool bike path that goes from morgan hill to hellyer velodrome in san jose or vice versa. its about 30 miles roundtrip and bike path all the way.

as for the thread, i've been riding fixed for two and a half years or so.. i actually have no idea how many miles a day i ride, but i only get in my car once a week to drive downtown to a sailing class. sometimes i ride there as well. probably somewhere around 15 miles a day.
Old 11-18-08, 08:21 PM
missbyamile
Legit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanlovesyou
there's a cool bike path that goes from morgan hill to hellyer velodrome in san jose or vice versa. its about 30 miles roundtrip and bike path all the way.
weird, i JUST got home from driving to gilroy and was looking at the bike path on the way wondering where it starts and ends. awesome.
Old 11-18-08, 08:29 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Winter... mmmm !

Old 11-18-08, 08:37 PM
xlazymx
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SAME. exept this year =//// ... what part of bay?
Old 11-18-08, 08:49 PM
Adam G.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was waking up at 5:15am just to ride my fixed before work at least 15 miles for exercise. But sadly I won't be doing that anymore, it's almost time to hang up the fixed for the winter. I woke up at 5:00am today for a ride and it was 28 degrees out, I only did about 10 miles and that was enough. I just had my running tights on and a fleece and which wasn't enough. It's going to be a long cold winter. I will just start running again in the winter, I enjoy running more in the winter than the summer for some reason. Crisp air in my lungs is precise!
Old 11-18-08, 09:31 PM
aznsap

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been riding for almost 4 weeks. it's been awesome.
Old 11-18-08, 09:54 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
When I started riding fixed regularly I never saw another fixed/singlespeed bike on Sunset Blvd in Echo Park. It would be another 5 years before I started to see another fixed gear on the road, perhaps once a week or so at most. Now, practically every other bike I see in mi barrio is either fixed or singlespeed. I am old.
Old 11-18-08, 10:18 PM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I go back and forth between my FG commuter and my 27 spd Surly Crosscheck. If the Sacramento valley never had wind, I'd ride fixed all the time. But it does, so there are days where I need gears.

But yesterday I rode 32 miles and today around 30. One week I rode 200 miles all fixed. For the year, my fixed gear has about 2700 miles on it.
Old 11-18-08, 10:49 PM
c0urt
moving target

Bikes: looks like a specialized crux now

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 69 Posts
just built it, mostly searching here, i ride a mile or two on the side walk a day
Old 11-18-08, 10:56 PM
cincinnatikid01
frijolero

Bikes: IRO Mark V group

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im moving back to cincinnati in about a month. 70 degree weather to 35 will put a damper on my biking. i am not looking forward to that
Old 11-19-08, 01:04 AM
missbyamile
Legit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlazymx
SAME. exept this year =//// ... what part of bay?
San Jose ..... west side
Old 11-19-08, 07:53 PM
militantmuffin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've only been riding fixed for 6 months. But I have been riding singlespeed for over two years, so my legs were pretty strong and used to just one gear.
I ride for fun whenever I can, many miles at a time. But, daily, I just commute to work. I have two jobs, commute just one mile each way to one, 4 miles each way to the other. some days I work one some days I work both so, I dunno anywhere from two to ten miles a day.
and, I'm a girl too and, also from San Jose, what do you know kinda wish I still lived there because there seems to be a fixed bike culture growing there now that was not there when I left the bay area 2 years ago.

and in response to the singlespeed dude who said he didn't want to be associated with twitchy riders in white belts with pbrs in hand, I don't drink, don't wear white belts and I'm not "twitchy" I just discovered how much fun riding fixed is. maybe you should try it instead of hatin'.

Last edited by militantmuffin; 11-19-08 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 08:23 PM
B:H Pusher
senior tarckass

Bikes: 2001 bianchi pista/ affinity low pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 years! i think i average over 100 miles a week
Old 11-19-08, 08:48 PM
missbyamile
Legit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by militantmuffin
I've only been riding fixed for 6 months. But I have been riding singlespeed for over two years, so my legs were pretty strong and used to just one gear.
I ride for fun whenever I can, many miles at a time. But, daily, I just commute to work. I have two jobs, commute just one mile each way to one, 4 miles each way to the other. some days I work one some days I work both so, I dunno anywhere from two to ten miles a day.
and, I'm a girl too and, also from San Jose, what do you know kinda wish I still lived there because there seems to be a fixed bike culture growing there now that was not there when I left the bay area 2 years ago.

and in response to the singlespeed dude who said he didn't want to be associated with twitchy riders in white belts with pbrs in hand, I don't drink, don't wear white belts and I'm not "twitchy" I just discovered how much fun riding fixed is. maybe you should try it instead of hatin'.
rad! where do you live now?
Old 11-19-08, 11:35 PM
blukara7
Snapple Loves You

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been riding fixed for 3 months already. learned alot within first months! feels like a year already...
Old 11-20-08, 01:30 AM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 389 Posts
Been riding a fixed gear for about a year now. I have about 800km on my fixed commuter and about another 250km on a couple of very vintage racing bikes. I have put over 5,000 under my wheels this year, most of that on my recumbent though.

I have done longer rides of about 50km but my commute is only about 7km one way. I have found that towing a loaded trailer into a strong headwind on a fixed gear is damn good strength training.
Old 11-20-08, 02:22 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanlovesyou
thanks for the heads up. think i might hit that up when i go back north for thanksgiving. hope it's not too hilly and hope it doesn't rain next week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.