Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-17, 06:20 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
If you turn the setting off (Always Rotate Map) then it will have north to the top..

Old 08-06-17, 07:48 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
Originally Posted by raqball
If you turn the setting off (Always Rotate Map) then it will have north to the top..

Cool, thanks for the reply
Old 08-06-17, 07:48 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
They must have - that's how mine was out of the box. I assume there is a place where one can change the setting.
Yes. I had to go into settings to set my Elemnt to this. Bolt and Elemnt have the same software.
Old 08-09-17, 07:06 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I've had mine since launch and I love it. The many updates already released for it have also greatly improved functionality, especially with Strava integration. I'm using a K-Edge mount (I'm hooked on them) for it, my Garmin sensors, and my Scosche HRM. Setting up everything through my cellphone was a huge breath of fresh air after years with Garmin.
Old 08-11-17, 07:21 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
I've had my Bolt package for 6 weeks or so now. Love it overall... only one minor issue.

I have the cadence sensor strapped to my left pedal. I'll be riding along, glance down and the cadence will say 52 or 45 when I'm around 78, then it will bounce to another number before finally settling on 78 (or whatever I'm at).

Anyone else having a similar issue? I'm going to try it on the right pedal tonight and see if that helps any.

Gary
Old 08-11-17, 12:47 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
Anyone else having a similar issue? I'm going to try it on the right pedal tonight and see if that helps any.
Hadn't seen that one. Is this with the new magnetless sensor?
Old 08-12-17, 07:03 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Hadn't seen that one. Is this with the new magnetless sensor?

Eric,

I'm not sure - I bought the Bolt bundle in July, just a month ago. I'll look at the instruction manual tonight to see if it says.

I thought I'd switch the sensor from left side to right side, but the derailleur doesn't give enough clearance to do that.

Last night's ride, same issue. At one point I was pedaling around 82-84, looked down and it said, in order, 40, 66, 70, 82... and stayed on 82 for a while.

Got home and looked at the chart on the Bolt that shows cadence and it bounces all around, said I had a "166 max" cadence. I can promise you there is NO WAY I had a 166 last night!

Back to the manual...

Thanks for your reply!

Gary
Old 08-12-17, 08:43 AM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Eric,

I'm not sure - I bought the Bolt bundle in July, just a month ago. I'll look at the instruction manual tonight to see if it says.

I thought I'd switch the sensor from left side to right side, but the derailleur doesn't give enough clearance to do that.

Last night's ride, same issue. At one point I was pedaling around 82-84, looked down and it said, in order, 40, 66, 70, 82... and stayed on 82 for a while.

Got home and looked at the chart on the Bolt that shows cadence and it bounces all around, said I had a "166 max" cadence. I can promise you there is NO WAY I had a 166 last night!

Back to the manual...

Thanks for your reply!

Gary
Could be a bad battery. Try removing the battery from the sensor, leave it out for a minute or two and then put the battery back in. If the issues persists, try a new battery. It takes a CR2032 battery if you want to test with a new one.
Old 08-12-17, 08:47 AM
ericy
Señor Member

It sounds like the magnetless version. I guess I would suggest contacting Wahoo support and seeing what they say - they tend to be pretty responsive.
Old 08-12-17, 08:51 AM
BrazAd

Originally Posted by raqball
Could be a bad battery. Try removing the battery from the sensor, leave it out for a minute or two and then put the battery back in. If the issues persists, try a new battery. It takes a CR2032 battery if you want to test with a new one.

Ahhhh, hadn't thought about that - thanks!

It sounds like the magnetless version. I guess I would suggest contacting Wahoo support and seeing what they say - they tend to be pretty responsive.

Another great suggestion - will do and will report back in case someone else has the same issue.

Thanks, y'all.

Gary
Old 08-13-17, 04:42 AM
Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Just got the element sensors and the cadence worked only two rides. Replaced battery and now it's OK. We will see how long this new battery lasts. Someone I talked to suggested the batteries that come with them are mostly bad? and should be replaced immediatly.
Old 08-13-17, 03:53 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Ald1
Someone I talked to suggested the batteries that come with them are mostly bad? and should be replaced immediatly.
I have heard stories that there are cheap Chinese 2032 batteries floating out there that have reduced capacity and other degraded specs. Others out there are apparently fine. If you buy name-brand, usually you are OK.
Old 08-14-17, 05:23 AM
RichardR1015

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Bolt package for 6 weeks or so now. Love it overall... only one minor issue.

I have the cadence sensor strapped to my left pedal. I'll be riding along, glance down and the cadence will say 52 or 45 when I'm around 78, then it will bounce to another number before finally settling on 78 (or whatever I'm at).

Gary
I have only just recently hooked up speed and cadence sensors to my bolt. However, they both seem to work fine. I'm using garmin for both. Not sure what you're using but if it's the wahoo stuff, have seen several complaints on their products.
Old 08-14-17, 05:29 PM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts

Gary
My wahoo cadence jumps around when I hit bumps. It jumps around for a second and then settles down. When I hit a bump, I look at the reading for amusement.
Old 08-21-17, 06:56 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I was hoping that my RFLKT would last me a while longer but on Friday, it locked up on me, Sunday it shut off twice during the ride and this morning locked up again. I got pi55ed off and went and bought a Bolt. Setup was super simple to the point of not really needing instructions.

However, the companion app is showing that I need a firmware update. The firmware on the device is 1337 and the latest firmware version is 1507. When I do the update from the companion app, it shows everything connected correctly and that the update is being downloaded. When the download is done, it shows an "update successful" message but when I look at the version on the Bolt, it still shows v1337. I've tried updating from the app and the device several times and each time I'm shown a successful update but the app always tells me there's a new firmware available and the version number doesn't change. Anyone else have this issue. Waiting for Wahoo to respond on a message I sent them about this.

Also, does anyone know how to delete a route from the device. Deleting them from the app does not delete them from the device. I've looked at all the FAQs regarding routes but nothing tells me how to delete a ride from the device.
Old 08-22-17, 04:42 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by John_V
I was hoping that my RFLKT

Also, does anyone know how to delete a route from the device. Deleting them from the app does not delete them from the device. I've looked at all the FAQs regarding routes but nothing tells me how to delete a ride from the device.
If you've deleted at the original source - RWGPS as example, then re-sync, it takes it off the device
Old 08-22-17, 12:26 PM
John_V 

Well, I figured out the issue with the firmware update after I posted the above message. The response that I got from Wahoo Tech Support was incorrect and of no help. For some reason or the other, I was under the impression that the Bolt used the WiFi from the connected phone to do it's updates and downloads. I have no idea why I had that impression but further reading, after my post, showed otherwise.

I'm sure that 95%, or more, of Bolt users would not encounter this issue, but here is the solution in the event that you do. The Bolt, having built-in WiFi will not work on any network where the router has MAC Filtering enabled and the Permit switch turned on. When you select a WiFi network from the companion app and enter a password (on a WEP or WPA protected network), the router will allow it to connect but will not allow any data pass through if MAC Filtering is turned on. The MAC address of the Bolt's WiFi radio must be entered in the filter list if the Permit switch is turned on.

After logging into my router, I disabled MAC Filtering and tried doing the firmware update again. Bingo! The Bolt connected and started the download and installation process for the new firmware. I'm now caught up to date. It's also the reason that I couldn't get rid of the rides downloaded into the Bolt because it couldn't synch with the companion app because it couldn't use WiFi. The solution is to enter the Bolt's MAC address into the filter list of your router and all will be well. Problem! Nowhere on the packaging or in any of the Bolt's options or anywhere in the companion app is the MAC address displayed. So, I sent Wahoo support an email with my serial number in hopes that they have a corresponding MAC address for this unit. It would be a real pain to have to disable MAC Filtering each time I want to use a WiFi function on the Bolt.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 08-22-17 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-22-17, 07:10 PM
frogmorton

Originally Posted by frogmorton
My wahoo cadence jumps around when I hit bumps. It jumps around for a second and then settles down. When I hit a bump, I look at the reading for amusement.
I had the same problem. Mounting to my shoe instead of the crank seemed to fix it.
Old 08-23-17, 05:54 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by John_V
Well, I figured out the issue with the firmware update after I posted the above message. The response that I got from Wahoo Tech Support was incorrect and of no help. For some reason or the other, I was under the impression that the Bolt used the WiFi from the connected phone to do it's updates and downloads. I have no idea why I had that impression but further reading, after my post, showed otherwise.

I'm sure that 95%, or more, of Bolt users would not encounter this issue, but here is the solution in the event that you do. The Bolt, having built-in WiFi will not work on any network where the router has MAC Filtering enabled and the Permit switch turned on. When you select a WiFi network from the companion app and enter a password (on a WEP or WPA protected network), the router will allow it to connect but will not allow any data pass through if MAC Filtering is turned on. The MAC address of the Bolt's WiFi radio must be entered in the filter list if the Permit switch is turned on.

After logging into my router, I disabled MAC Filtering and tried doing the firmware update again. Bingo! The Bolt connected and started the download and installation process for the new firmware. I'm now caught up to date. It's also the reason that I couldn't get rid of the rides downloaded into the Bolt because it couldn't synch with the companion app because it couldn't use WiFi. The solution is to enter the Bolt's MAC address into the filter list of your router and all will be well. Problem! Nowhere on the packaging or in any of the Bolt's options or anywhere in the companion app is the MAC address displayed. So, I sent Wahoo support an email with my serial number in hopes that they have a corresponding MAC address for this unit. It would be a real pain to have to disable MAC Filtering each time I want to use a WiFi function on the Bolt.
Only slightly important but I had read that MAC address filtering on home networks can be readily sniffed and spoofed, thus stopped using it and just went with a really strong password. Doing that alleviates the issues of addresses when connecting to new devices, as you've discovered. My Bolt was a simple connection once it knew the home WiFi password.

In the field - I.E. when away from a WiFi connection, the Wahoo smartphone app can use it's cell data connection to access the RWGPS site, generate and save a route, etc... Once that route is in the RWGPS system, it'll show up on the Wahoo companion app and can then be downloaded and sent to the Bolt via it's BT pairing. This ability with no WiFi can be useful and is one of the methods I read for generating a new route if you've gone off course, which the Wahoo units have trouble with, and want to create a new route to your destination.
Old 08-23-17, 03:42 PM
John_V 

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Only slightly important but I had read that MAC address filtering on home networks can be readily sniffed and spoofed, thus stopped using it and just went with a really strong password. Doing that alleviates the issues of addresses when connecting to new devices, as you've discovered. My Bolt was a simple connection once it knew the home WiFi password.

In the field - I.E. when away from a WiFi connection, the Wahoo smartphone app can use it's cell data connection to access the RWGPS site, generate and save a route, etc... Once that route is in the RWGPS system, it'll show up on the Wahoo companion app and can then be downloaded and sent to the Bolt via it's BT pairing. This ability with no WiFi can be useful and is one of the methods I read for generating a new route if you've gone off course, which the Wahoo units have trouble with, and want to create a new route to your destination.
I'm currently running a router behind a router system. It makes it a bit harder to spoof my filter list. The main router is the providers modem/router and mine sits behind it. Which is a good thing because I got a response back from Wahoo and they said the Elemnt and the Bolt use randomly generated MAC addresses for security reasons. I don't know why a bike computer needs that kind of security, but ..... So, I enabled the wifi for the primary modem and I have the Bolt connected to it. Didn't really want to do that but I also wanted to keep MAC filtering enabled.
Old 08-24-17, 08:20 PM
frogmorton

Just took my bolt out for the first time tonight. Night and day improvement over Garmin 510. Auto pause worked great (garmin was good at that too). Screen is much easier to read. Physical buttons are intuitive and much better than touch screen. Use 20% of battery after 30 miles. Connected with wifi hotspot on my iPhone. Uploaded to strava fine. I'm very pleased.
Old 08-26-17, 03:18 PM
John_V 

One more thing I would like to see Wahoo do with the Bolt and that is to allow the end user to select the type of file format the Bolt uses to export a ride. Currently, it only uses the FIT2 file format, probably because it's very compressed and has a small file footprint. However, I have found that not all sites will import a FIT2 file and other cycling apps don't support it either. It would eliminate an extra step of having to upload the ride to Strava, then export the GPX file from Strava to use it with other apps and/or web sites.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 08-26-17, 08:01 PM
Secret Squirrel

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 21 Posts
I ordered from eBay a silicone cover for the wahoo element bolt. Came in the post today. Perfect fit. Could not find a local source for the case so I risked the $4 PayPal purchase. It covers the green grey plastic with more acceptable dark grey (closer to black)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PSX_20170826_185037-400x280.jpg (33.8 KB, 360 views)
Old 08-26-17, 09:48 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a question for the Bolt users; When navigating in "screen rotate mode"; Does the map screen "jitter back and forth" as you change direction ( when on a winding trail ) or is the screen pretty much stable and slowly moves as your direction changes? ( assume you are using a moderate resolution )

Only reason I ask is because when I navagate using my Locus app on my smart phone and use the "rotate map" mode, the map screen jitters around like it needs a crack fix. I prefer to use a "rotate map" mode but only if it's stable most of the time.
Old 08-27-17, 10:02 AM
John_V 

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
I have a question for the Bolt users; When navigating in "screen rotate mode"; Does the map screen "jitter back and forth" as you change direction ( when on a winding trail ) or is the screen pretty much stable and slowly moves as your direction changes? ( assume you are using a moderate resolution )

Only reason I ask is because when I navagate using my Locus app on my smart phone and use the "rotate map" mode, the map screen jitters around like it needs a crack fix. I prefer to use a "rotate map" mode but only if it's stable most of the time.
I have not had any issues with the map or the pointer jittering on the screen. Not sure about others.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.