Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

The training platform to rule them all?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-12-18, 05:31 AM
sherrattsp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone else share my frustration when it comes to training platforms? About how all of them try to be 'the one'?

I'm on the hunt for a training platform which works with lots of devices, as much as I like Garmin connect I want something that will elegantly track workouts

My list of requirements are as follows:
  • Works with multiple devices, uploading via tapirrick or manual gpx is okay as long as I can bulk upload gpx
  • Tracks total miles
  • Training plans
  • Cycling and running
  • Comparisons to how I used to perform
  • I don't have a power meter so plans based on heart rate?
  • Doesn't cost the earth! £10/month is too much with seemingly everything and everyone asking for that these days
Old 07-12-18, 05:41 AM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Golden Cheetah (free) for tracking and analysis, plus a book of training plans based on heart rate?
Old 07-12-18, 07:18 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What is tapirrick?

Training Peaks will do much of what you want. $9.92 USD/month if you buy an annual subscription.

Training peaks tells you what to focus on during weeks leading up to an event (muscular endurance, anerobic endurance, force, speed, etc.) but does not give specific workouts for specific days. I'm not aware of any platform which gives specific workouts for specific days. $60 or so will get a real training plan which does that or you can make up your own from the internet easily enough.

Garmin Connect will sync to training peaks so there will be no manual upload. Your workouts will appear on TP whenever you upload your device to GC.

-Tim-
Old 07-14-18, 05:06 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Plenty of not too expensive apps like training peaks, today's plan, final surge. But I don’t anything that includes plans. trainerroad has bike plans and syncs to strava and training peaks but no running.
Old 07-15-18, 02:07 AM
sherrattsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
(free) for tracking and analysis, plus a book of training plans based on heart rate?
Whoa this looks good

Does it support running?
Old 07-15-18, 02:12 AM
sherrattsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What is tapirrick?

Training Peaks will do much of what you want. $9.92 USD/month if you buy an annual subscription.

Training peaks tells you what to focus on during weeks leading up to an event (muscular endurance, anerobic endurance, force, speed, etc.) but does not give specific workouts for specific days. I'm not aware of any platform which gives specific workouts for specific days. $60 or so will get a real training plan which does that or you can make up your own from the internet easily enough.

Garmin Connect will sync to training peaks so there will be no manual upload. Your workouts will appear on TP whenever you upload your device to GC.

-Tim-
Cheers Tim, I'll have a look at at TP

Tapirrick syncs gpx files between many platforms, i.e. Strava, TP, GC etc

I can't post links just yet but if you Google it
Old 07-15-18, 02:13 AM
sherrattsp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
Plenty of not too expensive apps like training peaks, today's plan, final surge. But I don’t anything that includes plans. trainerroad has bike plans and syncs to strava and training peaks but no running.
Right okay, maybe I should stick to Garmin connect and manually uploaded gpx files from other devices
Old 07-23-18, 12:42 AM
sierrabob

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In a world where fitness tracking seems dominated by Garmin and Strava, it's easy to overlook other devices and platforms. The good people at Polar have their own training/tracking platform: Polar Flow. You set a goal such as 5k run on a certain date. Polar Flow then provides a customized training program that varies in daily intensity and distance leading up to the targeted event. All free and in several ways more comprehensive than Strava premium Works with Polar smartwatches and bike computers. Also, Polar Flow is one of the few platforms that will automatically export swim activity heart rate data to Strava from a Polar watch (e.g. V800).