Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Discreet front and rear lights

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-18, 01:26 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

Any recommendations for very discreet front and rear lights that are very light in weight and don't stand out too much?

I've seen some that wrap around the handlebar but I'm not sure if they're any good.

Use case is evening riding with street lights - more to alert others than light up the path ahead, so I'm not after very high lumens.
Old 07-24-18, 02:08 PM
Keiffith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
Any recommendations for very discreet front and rear lights that are very light in weight and don't stand out too much?
These
Cycle torch bolt combo

Just bought them today so I have yet to ride with them, but my usage case is the same and these fit the bill for me.
Old 07-24-18, 04:07 PM
taz777

^ Those look very similar to some Lezyne lights that I’ve found.
Old 07-24-18, 11:23 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

I've seen some that wrap around the handlebar but I'm not sure if they're any good.

Use case is evening riding with street lights - more to alert others than light up the path ahead, so I'm not after very high lumens.
First...I own a ton of bike lights including some really nice brand name stuff. The one's I'm linking to are nowhere in that class of bike light. This is more or less the type of light you might buy for your kid's bike so he can ride home from his friends house up the street. I bought one of these just to add to my collection and as something I might just giveaway to some kid when I see them riding at night with no light. I got this little Blitzu set sometime last year. I have to admit I'm surprised it works as well as it does. The ad states that total output is about 390 lumen...no way is that true but I would judge it is somewhere around 200 when on high. This is more than enough light to get you seen. Beam pattern is basically a typical torch like conical beam pattern but on high it does have some decent spill. The lamp is small enough to fit in your pocket. It has 3-levels of steady light and a very nice bright flashing mode. Not a strobe mode, good flashing mode for daytime use. This lamp will get you seen and let you see what's in front of you as long as you don't ride really fast or see a lot of sharp turns. The little red rear lamp ( included in the set ) was a big surprise as well. The red lamp has six modes total and will definitely get you seen regardless of what mode you use. Both lamp's charge via USB. The mount is the typical rubber type and also is designed for quick release.

It just so turned out tonight I was messing with this little lamp and trying to discharge it completely so I could find out what size battery it has. Damn!...this little light has some decent run time. Not only that I discovered something else about this lamp quite by accident; IT WILL RUN AND CHARGE AT THE SAME TIME! That means if you want to you could run this lamp with a USB battery bank and never run out of battery. I have no idea yet how long the internal battery is going to run. I've had it on medium for about 1.5 hrs and it's still going. For $20 you can't beat this. Not the greatest output, tint or beam pattern but for what you are paying for it's hard to beat . ( **edit; If I would of had one of these as kid back in the 60's I would of been in seventh heaven. )

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 07-24-18 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 01:43 AM
taz777

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
First...I own a ton of bike lights including some really nice brand name stuff. The one's I'm linking to are nowhere in that class of bike light. This is more or less the type of light you might buy for your kid's bike so he can ride home from his friends house up the street. I bought one of these just to add to my collection and as something I might just giveaway to some kid when I see them riding at night with no light. I got this little Blitzu set sometime last year. I have to admit I'm surprised it works as well as it does. The ad states that total output is about 390 lumen...no way is that true but I would judge it is somewhere around 200 when on high. This is more than enough light to get you seen. Beam pattern is basically a typical torch like conical beam pattern but on high it does have some decent spill. The lamp is small enough to fit in your pocket. It has 3-levels of steady light and a very nice bright flashing mode. Not a strobe mode, good flashing mode for daytime use. This lamp will get you seen and let you see what's in front of you as long as you don't ride really fast or see a lot of sharp turns. The little red rear lamp ( included in the set ) was a big surprise as well. The red lamp has six modes total and will definitely get you seen regardless of what mode you use. Both lamp's charge via USB. The mount is the typical rubber type and also is designed for quick release.

It just so turned out tonight I was messing with this little lamp and trying to discharge it completely so I could find out what size battery it has. Damn!...this little light has some decent run time. Not only that I discovered something else about this lamp quite by accident; IT WILL RUN AND CHARGE AT THE SAME TIME! That means if you want to you could run this lamp with a USB battery bank and never run out of battery. I have no idea yet how long the internal battery is going to run. I've had it on medium for about 1.5 hrs and it's still going. For $20 you can't beat this. Not the greatest output, tint or beam pattern but for what you are paying for it's hard to beat . ( **edit; If I would of had one of these as kid back in the 60's I would of been in seventh heaven. )
Now here's a thing! That front light looks EXACTLY like my old Moon Meteor that's currently on my hybrid!!! It's not available from Moon anymore and I've been looking for another one for a long time. The equivalent (old) Moon Meteor that I have on my hybrid is rated at 200 lumens.

I'm going to try to source this light in the UK as it's exactly what I want.

Many thanks for this suggestion.
Old 07-25-18, 01:11 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Now here's a thing! That front light looks EXACTLY like my old Moon Meteor that's currently on my hybrid!!! It's not available from Moon anymore and I've been looking for another one for a long time. The equivalent (old) Moon Meteor that I have on my hybrid is rated at 200 lumens.

I'm going to try to source this light in the UK as it's exactly what I want.

Many thanks for this suggestion.
Ebay UK has them. £16.38
Old 07-25-18, 05:45 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
For my setup I use a K-Edge Wahoo Bolt combo mount that allows me to mount a Niterider Mico Lumina 850 under the computer. Very slick, very solid, but not cheap. But you have a setup that allows you to use the light as a headlight, or a "see me" device at lower lumens. Very flexible. The tail light is a standart Cygolight rechargeable. Nice and bright.
Old 07-25-18, 11:37 PM
taz777

Thanks! I also managed to locate a set (front and rear) on Amazon UK for £12.99 with Prime delivery included. At that price it’s a steal.
Old 07-30-18, 10:48 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
We'd have been king of the playground with a light like that when we were kids then!
Old 07-30-18, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There is a seatpost made with the LED array in it..

https://lightskin.co.kr/?page_id=109

they hide a (be seen) light in a handlebar , straight, type, too

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-01-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-30-18, 11:41 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've been happy with this

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...dlight-40-5370

Long run time, small enough to keep on the bike, & bright enough to see the road a bit if your main light gives out. Rigged it to sit under the garmin mount.

Also like these

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...-combo-40-6306

Run pretty much all year on a set of coin batteries, but can handle only a moderate amount of rain.
Old 08-01-18, 03:13 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
A pair of Blackburn 2'Fers are excellent to-be-seen lights. They can be set to white or red, steady or flashing. Very versatile, compact and lightweight. I like 'em as helmet lights. Excellent peripherally visible lights too, a huge advantage in a to-be-seen light.

But they aren't particularly useful to actually see where you're going. I had to use my Blackburn 2'Fer once as a headlight. It was just barely adequate for picking my way home carefully for 10 miles at about 8 mph on dimly lit and unlighted roads.
Old 08-01-18, 02:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Those lights that use coin batteries are a joke. If you think motorists see you with them, you're mistaken.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-05-18, 02:33 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb Cateye Rapid X - white and red

For your use:
Cateye Rapid X in white for the front and in red for the rear.
ZyroFisher
ZyroFisher
ZyroFisher
ZyroFisher
https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/safety_lights/
https://www.cateye.com/data/resource...comparison.pdf

Originally Posted by noglider
Those lights that use coin batteries are a joke. If you think motorists see you with them, you're mistaken.
You're absolutely right.
Also the extreme short runtime and lack of rechargability as well as regular costs for new coin cells are only disatvantages.
Old 08-05-18, 02:45 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
These work great for me and would work for your application. If you need light to see with, they will not suffice.

Chainreactioncycles Link