Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane Nomade - 1971 ? I think

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-08-19, 07:49 AM
Sprocket Turner

Bikes: '73 Mondia Special, '73 Frejus TDF, '84 Gitane Rallye Tandem, '85 Trek (Custom) 660, 85/86 Gitane Professional, and a few more!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I acquired this bike from the original owner along with a 1974 Cresent and a recumbent (which I will post in a different thread).

I'm trying to identify the year, or what the bike looked like with paint.....I think it is a 1971 and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information or pictures on these bikes.

The Nervar crank and Huret FD I am able to read and are pretty clear to me. (Were there model numbers for these? ) I haven't dug in to try and ID the hubs and rims, nor the RD (I could probably figure that out when I cleaned it up but can't make it out in the pictures). Brakes Weinmann 999's front and back.

Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

Last edited by Sprocket Turner; 02-08-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 02:27 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,288 Times in 2,148 Posts
-----

Thanks for posting.

Your dating is right in there.

These frames exhibit an interesting construction in that the head is lugged while the seat junction and bottom bracket shell are lugless. The threading for the bottom bracket is Swiss.

The original rear mech would have been a Huret Allvit.

The front mech is a Huret model 700. It launched in 1966.

Huret began date marking their components about 1978 so bike a little early for any Huret date marks.

Here is the manufacturer's catalogue page for the bicycle's NERVAR (Peyrard) chainset -

Nervar catalog (1974)

Pedals look like they may be Éclair brand.

Front wheel does not look original. Instead of a five-piece steel hub would expect a one-piece alloy. Rear wheel appears to be wearing a Shimano spoke protector which would not have been original. If Shimano it will be marked "333." Suspect both wheels may be replacements.

Are you able to read markings on bicycle's wheel rims?. Would expect originals to read RIGIDA Superchromix. Rigida began dating them about 1972-73 by putting a two digit number inside a small diamond next to the name.

Kickstand appears to be ESGE (Germany) as does chainstay bridge.

Cycle appears to be all original save for wheels and rear gear mech.

The same model was also produced badged as Orly, Astra & Dynamax.

Hope this helps a bit. Might be able to give more/better information with additional closeup imagery.

-----

Last edited by juvela; 02-08-19 at 02:33 PM.