Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking for new bike 340lb / 6ft

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 09:43 PM
colby2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

I haven't ridden a bike on a regular basis in 10+ years. I always enjoyed it when I was younger but life caught up to me in my 20's and a steady diet of pizza and beer along with the long Wisconsin winters pushed my weight up significantly. At my heaviest I weighed in over 410 pounds in February of 2018. Since then I have worked my way down to 340, however I have leveled off since January and I'm looking to be more active now that the weather should turn nice over the next few weeks. As for riding conditions, I imagine the toughest thing for the bike will be my weight. I won't be doing much off of smooth surfaces as a I have a lot of bike paths in my general area. The hardest riding I anticipate would possibly be gravel bike paths.

For starters I've done some basic research online and have visited a local bike store and spent some time talking to a very nice and knowledgeable employee. He showed me some examples of different bikes and I've found the hybrid or more basic mountain bike design to be my comfort. He made some basic recommendations based on my size:

- Steel frame preferred, aluminum should be good also.

- 26 inch wheels if possible

- Minimum 32 - prefer 36 spoke wheel (I'm aware these may need to be upgraded to better build quality even if the bike I find meets these specs)

Initially I asked about used bikes, but unfortunately he simply didn't have anything that could accommodate my size. As for new, he didn't have anything that was an exact match, but he did show me the Specialized Roll Sport. New, this ran a little over $600, which honestly is over my self imposed budget of $500.

I've been doing some searching and I found the Trek 820. This bike checks basically all of the basic boxes provided by the person I was working with, and on a current sale of $350 would keep me under budget. I was curious if any of you out there have any experience with this particular model or have other suggestions that would be in this general price range. I'm not afraid of buying used, but it would need to be available local so I could sit on it and make sure it's a comfortable fit.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old 04-10-19, 10:44 PM
Tano

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in an extremely similar boat, with the added caveat of living in Tokyo. I would like to get a folding bike so I can take it on the train and wherever else, but so far all I've found that can support some big asses are ones made by Bike Friday, and they are a cool $1800 USD. Plus shipping and import fees, I'm getting into used car range.

Side note, keep shaking ya ass big fella. We'll get there eventually
Old 04-11-19, 08:47 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I can't speak to the 820 directly, but I have a Trek FX2 that has supported me quite well and is super comfortable to ride. I weigh in at 365 and it has carried me well. The problem I see with the 820 is the front shock. The shocks aren't calibrated for those of us with ample weight, and tend to bottom out and make it harder to climb, in particular. The FX2 is going for $489 per the Trek website - while it's a bit pricier, it's within your self-imposed budget and I think would make for a more comfortable ride.
Old 04-11-19, 09:28 AM
colby2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I can't speak to the 820 directly, but I have a Trek FX2 that has supported me quite well and is super comfortable to ride. I weigh in at 365 and it has carried me well. The problem I see with the 820 is the front shock. The shocks aren't calibrated for those of us with ample weight, and tend to bottom out and make it harder to climb, in particular. The FX2 is going for $489 per the Trek website - while it's a bit pricier, it's within your self-imposed budget and I think would make for a more comfortable ride.

I appreciate the tip on the shock and the recommendation of the FX2. I had seen them talked about by a few others previously. Just out of curiosity, did you upgrade the wheels and or tires at all, or are you running stock?

In comparing it appears that the FX2 may be similar build to the Verve series also, which had caught my eye prior. Specifically the Verve 1, and Verve 1 Disc versions.
Old 04-11-19, 09:34 AM
Aahzz

Originally Posted by colby2002
I appreciate the tip on the shock and the recommendation of the FX2. I had seen them talked about by a few others previously. Just out of curiosity, did you upgrade the wheels and or tires at all, or are you running stock?

In comparing it appears that the FX2 may be similar build to the Verve series also, which had caught my eye prior. Specifically the Verve 1, and Verve 1 Disc versions.
I'm running stock wheels. The rear wheel was replaced once under warranty - a path I was on ended abruptly and I went over a drop and landed hard - not something I do in the normal course of my riding. Even after that, I only broke one spoke, but I rode with the broken spoke for another 50 miles or so before I noticed it, at which point other spokes were weakened and had issues - so the shop replaced the wheel for me. I have many more drop-free miles on the new wheel, and the front has been flawless. Stock tires as well. The Verve series does seem similar, but I have no experience with them.
Old 04-16-19, 06:32 PM
colby2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
I'm running stock wheels. The rear wheel was replaced once under warranty - a path I was on ended abruptly and I went over a drop and landed hard - not something I do in the normal course of my riding. Even after that, I only broke one spoke, but I rode with the broken spoke for another 50 miles or so before I noticed it, at which point other spokes were weakened and had issues - so the shop replaced the wheel for me. I have many more drop-free miles on the new wheel, and the front has been flawless. Stock tires as well. The Verve series does seem similar, but I have no experience with them.
After doing what is probably more research than I should have and confusing myself a good 20 times, I decided to stretch my budget and work with the first bike shop I went to and ended up going with the Specialized Roll Sport.

It’s ultimately more than I wanted to spend, but after going to multiple different bike shops in the area (along with getting awful sevice from one of the local corporate Trek shops) I really felt they were the only ones that genuinely listened to and addressed my concerns as a bigger rider just returning to bicycling.

The fit of the bike was a little better for me and ultimately the wider tires helped me feel more confident while riding.

Thanks again for the information you provided, it really did help while I was comparing different bikes. Happy riding!
Old 04-16-19, 06:42 PM
Aahzz

Originally Posted by colby2002

After doing what is probably more research than I should have and confusing myself a good 20 times, I decided to stretch my budget and work with the first bike shop I went to and ended up going with the Specialized Roll Sport.

It’s ultimately more than I wanted to spend, but after going to multiple different bike shops in the area (along with getting awful sevice from one of the local corporate Trek shops) I really felt they were the only ones that genuinely listened to and addressed my concerns as a bigger rider just returning to bicycling.

The fit of the bike was a little better for me and ultimately the wider tires helped me feel more confident while riding.

Thanks again for the information you provided, it really did help while I was comparing different bikes. Happy riding!
Glad you found a bike that fits you - enjoy!!! Bummer about the bad service from Trek - luckily my local Trek stores are privately owned, not corporate. But really, brand is far less important than a store that will work with you .
Old 04-29-19, 09:45 PM
cacher

Bikes: Specialized roll

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This dude works fantastic for me. Ive put racks on the front and back, with three water bottle holders. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh.../c/fitnessroll
Old 04-30-19, 05:31 AM
cobalt123

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! Enjoy!
Old 05-03-19, 07:03 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
The roll is definitely a better bike for a bigger rider. My main concern about the 820 is the rear wheel - it has the old-style 'freewheel' hub - the freewheel (ratchet) mechanism that lets you coast is a separate part that is screwed on to the hub, and there is along section of unsupported axle that makes damage very likely. The Roll has a modern 'Freehub' design hub - the freewheel mechanism is part of the hub and the bearings are out at the end of the axle on both sides. This is a much better design for bigger riders.
Old 05-14-19, 08:42 PM
colby2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobalt123
Congrats on the new bike! Enjoy!
Thanks! After some delays due to weather here in Wisconsin and a some family issues I was finally able to get out for my first ride of more than around the block. The bike rides great, but I sure felt it going up hill It was great to get out and clear my mind and have a nice little ride with a friend.
Old 05-14-19, 08:44 PM
colby2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
The roll is definitely a better bike for a bigger rider. My main concern about the 820 is the rear wheel - it has the old-style 'freewheel' hub - the freewheel (ratchet) mechanism that lets you coast is a separate part that is screwed on to the hub, and there is along section of unsupported axle that makes damage very likely. The Roll has a modern 'Freehub' design hub - the freewheel mechanism is part of the hub and the bearings are out at the end of the axle on both sides. This is a much better design for bigger riders.
Glad to see I likely made the right choice. So far I’ve enjoyed the Roll Sport, although I’ve only really given it one good ride so far but it felt great.