Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have an issue with people walking a dog?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else have an issue with people walking a dog?

Old 05-02-19, 04:02 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
I have to confess, I use an extendable leash.

My dog is extremely energetic so it would be cruel to her to just have her be within six feet of a human at all times, which is all a conventional leash would allow. But she is also unpredictably dog-reactive, so off-leash parks are out. (And yes, we've done and continue to do EXTENSIVE training with her regarding dog reactivity... it's improved, but not to a point I would trust her to play in a dog park off-leash ever...) So an extendable leash is a compromise. That said, I'm super paranoid about how I use it, and would never allow it to stretch across a bike path. I only use it in wide open areas with clear sight lines, and am constantly on look-out for pedestrians, other dogs, cyclists etc.

As a cyclist, of course, I assume everyone is a moron, and expect leashes across paths at all times. Defensive cycling.

P.S. We also have her walk by our side on a regular leash a lot of the time, such as on the way to and from the park, and have clear commands so she understand the distinction between walking on a regular leash vs walking on a Flexi-leash. Also, she seems to have learned on her own about how long the Flexi leash is, and she tends to slow down her running as she approaches the end of it.
So much common sense here and exactly the way it should be .... problem is it gets ruined by the small majority and so all dog owners that use a flexi lead become evil much the same as there are

A: Good and responsible cyclists
B: Some that are some complete A*&6**e's that believe they own the road / path and EVERYBODY should get out of their way and give the considerate riders a bad name.

Be a really interesting survey of the cyclists that are most critical and intolerant of dog walkers whether they fall into category A or B.

That said there are A and B dog walkers, people with children, skateboarders etc, etc... at the end of the day it's very low level intelligence to work out that shared areas will be busy at the weekends so if you can't be tolerant ... don't go there .... and to come into forums complaining about it says you don't have a lot of basic common sense.

I do appreciate though the OP's original question was about a dog that crossed a road and as someone pointed out ... it's highly unlikely it was a highway .... most of the comments in here though seem to refer to MUP's so that's what this post is addressing as it's become the dominant point of conversation within the thread.
Old 05-02-19, 04:08 PM
Witterings

Originally Posted by dedhed
i suspect the op was on a quiet subdivision street with a 30 or less limit for the scenario to be playing out.
So, you wouldn't slow down when seeing a potentially hazardous situation developing in front of you? You'd rather create a hazard than slow down or warn the offending party of your approach? That is absolutely ridiculous.
Typically pedestrians will have the row over a bicycle, so in fact you may be to blame if there is an accident.
^^^^^^^^^ +1
Old 05-02-19, 05:47 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I suspect the OP was on a quiet subdivision street with a 30 or less limit for the scenario to be playing out.
So, you wouldn't slow down when seeing a potentially hazardous situation developing in front of you? You'd rather create a hazard than slow down or warn the offending party of your approach? That is absolutely ridiculous.
Typically pedestrians will have the ROW over a bicycle, so in fact you may be to blame if there is an accident.
You're twisting my words badly. Reread the op. This is an extremely weird situation. I have never seen anything like that, a leash across the road is not something I am looking for, and at 20+ mph, there's a really good chance I'm going to miss it. That's even more likely to occur in a car.

And I also suspect that I won't be aware of the situation long enough to make some noise AND avoid hitting the dog or leash.

I have to say, I've never had to announce my presence on a street for a pedestrian because they generally look both ways before crossing the street because it's expected that faster vehicles are going to be there. I almost always announce on a path, but it's just not comparable.I

and I am damn sure that the ROW doesn't give anyone the right to extend a leash all the way across a street. That's gross negligence at best.
Old 05-03-19, 09:17 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't know about you, but if I'm on a road, I'm usually going faster than 20 mph, and the cars on the road are usually going faster than 30 mph. The notion that someone should count on people warning them of their approach in time to haul their dog across the street is just absolutely ridiculous.

If someone is letting their dogs or small kids play in the street, they're definitely to blame if something bad happens.
Depends on the roadway, of course.

With vehicles, certainly it's a narrow category of situations in which one has the possibility of notifying another slower occupant of the roadway that one is approaching. In a vehicle, obviously that's not on the highway or a higher-speed road through town. (Think: residential areas, anywhere in a parking area.)

On any other wheeled vehicle (be it a bicycle or skateboard or whatever), it's usual to be approaching pedestrians or dawdling cyclists/joggers at a higher speed from behind.

In nearly all such cases, particularly when it's apparent the folks being approached have no idea they're being overtaken and a pass attempt is brewing, it's worth notifying ... via horn or bell or voice, or whatever, in addition to adjusting the speed differential for safety, etc.

That's all I meant.

Didn't intend vehicle-specific situations of higher speeds to be taken out of the context of the OP's basic scenario.
Old 05-03-19, 09:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Depends on the roadway, of course.

With vehicles, certainly it's a narrow category of situations in which one has the possibility of notifying another slower occupant of the roadway that one is approaching. In a vehicle, obviously that's not on the highway or a higher-speed road through town. (Think: residential areas, anywhere in a parking area.)

On any other wheeled vehicle (be it a bicycle or skateboard or whatever), it's usual to be approaching pedestrians or dawdling cyclists/joggers at a higher speed from behind.

In nearly all such cases, particularly when it's apparent the folks being approached have no idea they're being overtaken and a pass attempt is brewing, it's worth notifying ... via horn or bell or voice, or whatever, in addition to adjusting the speed differential for safety, etc.

That's all I meant.

Didn't intend vehicle-specific situations of higher speeds to be taken out of the context of the OP's basic scenario.
Got to tell you, I find people who honk at me every time they pass me when I'm on a bike to be completely obnoxious. It's not necessary, and horns are often damn loud. It's more like going to startle me than do anything good.
Old 05-03-19, 09:33 AM
Clyde1820

Got to tell you, I find people who honk at me every time they pass me when I'm on a bike to be completely obnoxious. It's not necessary, and horns are often damn loud. It's more like going to startle me than do anything good.
Certainly unnecessary every time.

Obviously, useful when overtaking situations justify it.

On a roadway or parking lot with a motor vehicle, or on a MUP with a bike or skateboard.

IF the situation calls for judicious passing, accommodation of the other person's oblivion, the overtaking speed and/or narrowness of the road/path requires a close pass ... obviously, in those types of situations it's reasonable to notify the person about to be overtaken there's a potential safety issue.

Hardly meant to imply ALL overtaking justifies a thing. (But then, that should have been assumed.)
Old 05-03-19, 09:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Hardly meant to imply ALL overtaking justifies a thing. (But then, that should have been assumed.)
As you should not have assumed I meant to say that I never slow down if I see a hazardous situation in front of me. Nothing I said even remotely implied that.
Old 05-03-19, 11:40 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 533 Posts
Yes, just a fact of life when riding on the local MUP, no two encounters ever alike, just have be flexible, and keep your sense of humor. Always entertaining when the human on the leash, is on one side of the path, and the dog on the other. Hard to tell who is walking who.
Tim
Old 05-03-19, 01:04 PM
Clyde1820

As you should not have assumed I meant to say that I never slow down if I see a hazardous situation in front of me. Nothing I said even remotely implied that.
Didn't assume a thing.

Just pointed out the suggestion of honking (in a car) as notification with every passage of a slower cyclist is not what I had said, and only that my earlier remark about warning of approach has its place. Nothing more.

Anything else?
Old 05-03-19, 01:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Didn't assume a thing.

Just pointed out the suggestion of honking (in a car) as notification with every passage of a slower cyclist is not what I had said, and only that my earlier remark about warning of approach has its place. Nothing more.

Anything else?
My apologies. I got you mixed up with someone else in this thread. You're right, you didn't assume any such thing, and I screwed up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-03-19, 03:54 PM
Witterings

My apologies. I got you mixed up with someone else in this thread. You're right, you didn't assume any such thing, and I screwed up.
So what difference would it have made whoever posted it, surely it's only about the factual content ... sounds like you're carrying a vendetta against someone and just out to have a go at anything they say ????

That's the dumbest responses I've heard for an awful long time but at least we know what we're dealing with here in terms of intelligence levels and maybe highlights the errors of some of your other responses as there's obviously a bias here.

Wanna share who you might have got them mixed up with

Last edited by Witterings; 05-03-19 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 04:30 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
A while back, I had a little dust mop of a mutt bolt off of the sidewalk and into my path, teeth bared and dragging its leash behind. I was able to swerve enough so that Fluffy was barely brushed as he tried to bite the trailing edge of my rear tire. I went about a block ahead and turned around coming down the opposite side of the street to make sure the dog was OK (I'm a dog lover and have had several in my lifetime). By this time the owner had gotten ahold of the leash and was walking back to the curb. When she saw me she was irate about my "reckless speeding" and "trying to run over my little dog". I asked if her dog was OK and reminded her that there is an ordinance requiring dogs to be "under actual physical control" within city limits and that the leash didn't do much good if she wasn't on the other end. She threatened to report me to the police and launched a barrage of insults.

One overly friendly lab ran along side me for a short distance on a rural road before spotting something in the opposite ditch and bolting directly into my front wheel. I endoed and Friendly couldn't figure out why I didn't want to play anymore.
Old 05-03-19, 06:42 PM
Witterings

I guess you're forgetting when you tried to depose me on my dog passing technique so you could determine whether a grumpy dog snapping at me was somehow my fault. It was one of the most arrogant things I've ever seen posted on BF, and that's saying something.
I've been a bit busy at work but with the bank holiday coming up found some time to look up what you were referring to and I guess it must have been when I responded to this comment you made

Listen, bozo, you had no intention of being helpful, and I don't want and didn't ask for your advice. You're not the police, I am not a suspect, and you're just some fool who no matter what I would have said would have begun whining about how I somehow provoked Bowser.

You've gotta laugh at that, text book wording straight out of a cheap and failed film ... honestly .... I guess it shows the level of intelligence we're dealing with and hence the attitude.

The rest of your post is pretty laughable as well and if that's a true reflection of your personality I'm not surprised dogs chase you ...... surprising how good a judge of character they are

" Listen Bozo" ... seriously **********?

I mean absolute classic ... When's Arnie coming round to play

I'm sorry but how embarrassing is that.

Last edited by Witterings; 05-03-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-27-19, 07:03 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow this post exploded, I apologize to all the responders for not having checked it sooner.

The speed limit on the roads I ride on is 20mph. I should have mentioned that there are many tight turns in dense forests that make it hard to see, particularly around areas like the 90 degree turn I was making on the day of the incident. I often go for miles, 10-15 miles, entire rides, without encountering any walkers, much less walkers with dogs.

I have used Flexi-Leads, which I should have mentioned. I have used them to teach dogs to track on leash against pressure. I do not suggest them for people walking dog's. I am currently working on a Keynote presentation with videos. One of the areas I cover is "Walking On Leash Without Pulling". Pulling on leash, may be the worst problem for the majority of my clients. Even medium sized dogs can pull their owners off their feet, steps are particularly dangerous. The point of a fixed length leash is to give the dog a fixed distance that they can learn. Without a fixed distance leash, I have no idea how to train a dog not to pull against it's leash. I am not suggesting Flexi-Leads are not applicable in some situations. My problem with this leash relates specifically to pulling on leash. I should have been more specific in my critique of that specific leash.

Last edited by McMitchell; 09-27-19 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 07:30 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
hmmm ... sometimes ...

but I'm pretty tolerant. it's always fun & interesting to be out with ppl, away from my lonely desk job
Old 09-27-19, 07:30 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
He's actually a decent poster on other subjects, but is so obnoxious when he gets on a dog thread that I've put him on ignore.
Still waiting for evidence of that, I have yet to see it.
Old 09-27-19, 08:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Still waiting for evidence of that, I have yet to see it.
He and I patched it up somewhat since, and I took him off ignore. But I never saw the above posts because he did them while I had him on ignore and would never have seen it if this thread hadn't risen from the dead. He was definitely being a bozo when I posted that quote, and I'm not embarrassed by it in the slightest. I do find his postings on other topics interesting, but that's a matter of taste, I guess.

I find it ironic that whenever the topic turns to dogs, so many posters just go feral. I had no idea he had continued to troll me on this thread after I had /ignored him.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-27-19 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 08:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
hmmm ... sometimes ...

but I'm pretty tolerant. it's always fun & interesting to be out with ppl, away from my lonely desk job
That part of the Minuteman is pretty stop-start for a few miles. At least the leash is only cutting off half of the path.
Old 09-27-19, 09:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

That part of the Minuteman is pretty stop-start for a few miles. At least the leash is only cutting off half of the path.
yeah. I remember following the bike w/ kid for a while, waiting for a chance to pass, but kept getting coincidental other obstacles to wait for. the kid was having a blast tho
Old 09-27-19, 10:10 AM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
As a rider I believe it's our responsibility to watch out for others. I've been buzzed by speeding cyclists more often than I've been inconvenienced by dogs.

It's not like we're in a car with enough road noise to alert anyone.

We're fast and quiet. That means we should be able to slow down to avoid any collisions.

My daughter loves to ride her push bike on the local trails, the riders that ride the fastest are the ones that don't ding a bell or identify that they are passing on the left. That's rude and dangerous. But I don't say anything, it's just the way some bikers are. Never had an issue with a dog owner
Likes For eshew:
Old 09-27-19, 10:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

yeah. I remember following the bike w/ kid for a while, waiting for a chance to pass, but kept getting coincidental other obstacles to wait for. the kid was having a blast tho
That part of the trail between Arlington and Lexington is most enjoyable if you relax about time because there's two town centers within a relatively short distance of each other. You can pound the pedals about 2 miles north of there between Lexington and Bedford, there's just a couple of bottlenecks at road crossings for the last 2.5 miles or so, and the foot traffic gets really thin because it's basically passing through swampland. I can get it to 25 mph for a good portion of that distance without doing anything crazy or inconsiderate.
Old 09-27-19, 10:21 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by eshew
As a rider I believe it's our responsibility to watch out for others. I've been buzzed by speeding cyclists more often than I've been inconvenienced by dogs.

It's not like we're in a car with enough road noise to alert anyone.

We're fast and quiet. That means we should be able to slow down to avoid any collisions.

My daughter loves to ride her push bike on the local trails, the riders that ride the fastest are the ones that don't ding a bell or identify that they are passing on the left. That's rude and dangerous. But I don't say anything, it's just the way some bikers are. Never had an issue with a dog owner
I ride very fast between encounters with other people in the lane and am very careful to announce my passes. I will occasionally get passed by one of those Strava junkies just because they're willing to fast pass through a small gap between people, which is an incredibly dangerous maneuver. I make a point of passing such people later on in the fast part of the path just so I can scream "On your left" at them.
Old 09-27-19, 10:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Anyone who lets a leash cross a road must not like their dog very much. Fast vehicles are the rule there, not the exception.
I agree, the rural folks that use our Main St. as a "shortcut" because they don't think they are going to get a speeding ticket would probably speed up if they saw a dog on a leash across the street. It's just good sport.

Thankfully, I have not seen to many retractable leashes in use around here, and none on the MUP. I did see a couple trying to get their dog back from across a stream from the MUP, I assume it was running free. So I'm glad it was having fun in the marsh across the way instead of bothering me. I think dogs running free are a more common problem. The MUP I ride on most often is a nice little park on its own, so the idea of hanging out with your unchained dogs has occurred to some people, even though their are signs everywhere saying it is illegal.
Old 09-27-19, 11:26 AM
rumrunn6

I can get it to 25 mph for a good portion of that distance without doing anything crazy or inconsiderate.
must be a stronger rider than me. it takes a bit of effort from me on that western downgrade to get over 26mph

Old 09-27-19, 11:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

must be a stronger rider than me. it takes a bit of effort from me on that western downgrade to get over 26mph

https://youtu.be/fqJ_6prVc9A
Just a warning--I've found the hard way that path can get slippery really fast when wet.

That last stretch before Bedford is Cat 6 raceway central. Plus you can take your bike into the men's room at the station and don't need to lock it up. Great pit stop for me before the last 24 miles back to Nashua.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.