Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUP Etiquette

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUP Etiquette

Old 06-30-19, 08:51 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I'm continually hearing about compromises but only for one side, and zero from the others
There could hardly be a better example of the pathological inability to see how something effects others.

Spend some time walking on your local MUP's. You'll find as a pedestrian your experience ends up heavily compromised by cyclists, compared to what it is where they are not allowed (or at least what it would be, if there were not a fair number of people riding in prohibited places, too).

Last edited by UniChris; 06-30-19 at 09:43 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-01-19, 10:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
MULTI-USE path? I'm continually hearing about compromises but only for one side, and zero from the others. Does the other groups have any responsibility at all on the MUP? Otherwise, that sounds like a pretty preferential use path to me.

Perhaps it needs a new moniker (PUP) to avoid confusion? Now we know for sure its just an extension of the playground, or a highfalutin sidewalk.
Every single MUP I've ever ridden on has posted a close variant of "Bicyclists must yield to pedestrians". I have never seen the opposite posted, and the pedestrians keeping to one side of the path is usually stated as a matter of being "courteous".

The rules reflect the political compromises that had to be made to get the paths funded. You don't like the terms of the deal, fine, but too damn bad.

And as for a MUP being a highfalutin sidewalk, did you just figure that out? D-uh.
Likes For livedarklions: