Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wheel advice- Trek 1500 SLR

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 12:10 PM
Addecal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all,

Need some advice on a new wheel set- been researching but feel lost looking at all the options. Recently purchased a 2005 Trek 1500 SLR from a garage sale with the intention of rebuilding it. Despite sitting for a year/18 months, with a little TLC it will be ride able except for the wheels- both front and rear have stress cracks.... Popped into the local shop and their recommendation for a "good/decent" set was from Shimano but I feel clueless sorting through all the inventory and am seeking some help on ideas.

For context- the bike cost me $80 and will be my weekend rider, going probably no longer than 50 miles a ride here in Colorado. I would like to find a wheel set with some durability without breaking the bank. As the saying goes- get some bang for my buck. Any ideas/starting points would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the Trek archive for the specs, on a 26 inch frame- (got to copy and paste sorry) archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2005/trek/1500#/us/en/2005/trek/1500/details

Many thanks!
Addecal
Old 05-27-19, 01:44 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
What is your budget. Your idea of "not breaking the bank" could be quite different to mine.
Old 05-27-19, 02:24 PM
Addecal

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
What is your budget. Your idea of "not breaking the bank" could be quite different to mine.

Good question and that’s where I am stuck- ideally I would like to spend less than $300 for the set. I am looking for what I’ll call budget quality- a good all around set for a novice biker
Old 05-28-19, 11:44 AM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Bikes: Domane 2.0, CrossRip LTD

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You could get a set of used Bontrager Race or Approved wheels for $80 - $150. Local Trek dealers may have some take offs or could order you an inexpensive stock wheelset just to get your rolling.

North of $200 is Mavic Aksium territory. I went with some Bontrager Paradigm Comp TLR take offs when I was looking around that price range.
Old 05-28-19, 02:38 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Wheels

Originally Posted by Addecal
Hey all,

Need some advice on a new wheel set- been researching but feel lost looking at all the options. Recently purchased a 2005 Trek 1500 SLR from a garage sale with the intention of rebuilding it. Despite sitting for a year/18 months, with a little TLC it will be ride able except for the wheels- both front and rear have stress cracks.... Popped into the local shop and their recommendation for a "good/decent" set was from Shimano but I feel clueless sorting through all the inventory and am seeking some help on ideas.

For context- the bike cost me $80 and will be my weekend rider, going probably no longer than 50 miles a ride here in Colorado. I would like to find a wheel set with some durability without breaking the bank. As the saying goes- get some bang for my buck. Any ideas/starting points would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the link to the Trek archive for the specs, on a 26 inch frame- (got to copy and paste sorry) archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2005/trek/1500#/us/en/2005/trek/1500/details

Many thanks!
Addecal
I wouldn't want to buy them from the dealer's new inventory, but as mentioned before, new take offs from any of the big manufacturer's would get you a decent wheel. Should be less than $200...I know I've never charged that much for my new take offs, lol!

For what I would consider a step up from basic stock wheels (typically stock wheel sets are in the 1700-2200 gram range), you could get a pretty standard Mavic open pro rim, 32 double-butted spokes, and a Shimano 105 hub. They roll quite nice, weigh in the 1800 gram range, and are sturdy enough to train/commute/light tour on, and a lot of bang for the buck as $250 is typical retail price. I've paid a lot more for wheel sets, and just put a set of these on a bike I built up and took on a test ride this weekend. The spun up as nice as wheels I've spent a ton more money on. Personally, I've not typically been a fan of the stock wheel sets, but that could just be me. They certainly will get you out on the road, which is important!
Old 05-28-19, 07:13 PM
ajdecal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Craptacular8
I wouldn't want to buy them from the dealer's new inventory, but as mentioned before, new take offs from any of the big manufacturer's would get you a decent wheel. Should be less than $200...I know I've never charged that much for my new take offs, lol!

For what I would consider a step up from basic stock wheels (typically stock wheel sets are in the 1700-2200 gram range), you could get a pretty standard Mavic open pro rim, 32 double-butted spokes, and a Shimano 105 hub. They roll quite nice, weigh in the 1800 gram range, and are sturdy enough to train/commute/light tour on, and a lot of bang for the buck as $250 is typical retail price. I've paid a lot more for wheel sets, and just put a set of these on a bike I built up and took on a test ride this weekend. The spun up as nice as wheels I've spent a ton more money on. Personally, I've not typically been a fan of the stock wheel sets, but that could just be me. They certainly will get you out on the road, which is important!
Much appreciated! Grabbed a set of the Mavic Open Rim with the 105 spokes from BWW for $240 with their discount. From the reviews and price, looks to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help!