Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Alcohol on the roads

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Alcohol on the roads

Old 07-14-19, 05:04 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Alcohol on the roads

Tomorrow evening i am going to meet a couple of friends that i haven't seen for a long time and they are bringing some alcohol to celebrate.
The problem is that they are going to drive back home afterwards and having already had a similar situation that ended up with a fight, i don't know how to deal with it this time.
Most people seem to become more confident after drinking and claim to know their limits but the problem is that they are endangering not only their own lives, but the lives of everyone else on the road, cyclists, pedestrians and other drivers.
I tried to explain that to the friend i had a fight with.. and he left without a word after me saying it is immature to think that one can know one's limits after drinking alcohol because alcohol is already distorting the appreciation of the state of mind.
i don't want to spoil the meeting, i can have fun and enjoy the company without drinking alcohol, but i don't think i will be able to ignore the problem. The society i live in is mostly muslim and those who drink lack clearly a culture of drinking.
Any advice ?
Old 07-14-19, 06:14 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
I had a difficult time being around people who drank and did drugs in the military. I didn't tolerate it. They were constantly on me trying to get me to join in. I know how I felt about it but can only imagine how you feel.
Old 07-14-19, 06:38 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,490 Times in 2,843 Posts
"Alcohol is the only drug on earth you have to justify not taking."
-- from "The Naked Mind", by Annie Grace

In my misspent youth, I tried an assortment of drugs, and was around people doing even more.
Of all the drug use I observed, I never saw a drug that was as mentally and physically debilitating, or caused as violent behavior, as ethanol.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 07-14-19, 08:33 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only thing I can suggest is to insist on meeting them somewhere that is so close to home they can walk instead of driving. Or to go somewhere that you can't bring alcohol.
Old 07-14-19, 08:46 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I only drink while hanging out in the back yard under some oak trees. Seen too many alcohol related tragedies and avoidable problems. I’ll have a few beers then hit the sack at home.
Old 07-14-19, 09:11 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 153 Posts
Your best bet is to offer to pick them up and drive them home, if that's an option. Either that, or encourage them (while they're sober) to take an uber or other option. With Uber and Lyft, there's really no excuse for drinking and driving.

If you don't like hanging out with drinkers, find new friends who don't drink. I quit drinking about a year and a half ago (no DUIs or addiction, just decided I prefer the clarity and health benefits.) I'm astounded at how much US culture centers around booze. Waiters are actually startled when I only order water or an Arnold Palmer, 3-4 entire aisles of every supermarket are dedicated to alcohol, and some supermarkets here even have bars in them now. 8| I still hang out with my drinking friends, and they provide an occasional reminder of why I'm happier not drinking.

When I quit drinking, I was careful not to judge anyone who drinks, saying "It's a personal choice, not a social agenda." My family appear to espouse the backward belief that not drinking is a sign of weakness or lower moral character, but the flaw in that logic is self-evident.

Last edited by calamarichris; 07-14-19 at 09:17 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 07-14-19, 10:57 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You can ask your friends to either come by bus. Or, carpool in a pickup. Toss your bike in the back of their pickup, and drive them home.

Bike Friday or Compact Folder?
Old 07-15-19, 01:57 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Being the prudent one means you can't always be the friend. You need to chose one. If i couldn't take to them then I'd passively protest and decline the invitation.
Old 07-15-19, 03:13 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
If one drinks, say 1 beer in 3 hours, then one may well be just fine. Just don't let that be 2 or 3, or maybe a half dozen.

However, pretty much all of my current acquaintances have a zero tolerance for driving intoxicated. Essentially ZERO alcohol in the last 10 hours or so before getting behind the wheel (and even any alcohol the night before would be in moderation). Designated drivers?
Old 07-15-19, 05:34 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
Tomorrow evening i am going to meet a couple of friends that i haven't seen for a long time and they are bringing some alcohol to celebrate.
The problem is that they are going to drive back home afterwards and having already had a similar situation that ended up with a fight, i don't know how to deal with it this time.
Most people seem to become more confident after drinking and claim to know their limits but the problem is that they are endangering not only their own lives, but the lives of everyone else on the road, cyclists, pedestrians and other drivers.
I tried to explain that to the friend i had a fight with.. and he left without a word after me saying it is immature to think that one can know one's limits after drinking alcohol because alcohol is already distorting the appreciation of the state of mind.
i don't want to spoil the meeting, i can have fun and enjoy the company without drinking alcohol, but i don't think i will be able to ignore the problem. The society i live in is mostly muslim and those who drink lack clearly a culture of drinking.
Any advice ?
It's unclear what "some" alcohol means. Are they only bringing a few beers or just a bottle of wine, or a keg of beer and a 1/2 gallon of Jack Daniels ? There's drinking, and then there's.......drinking.
Also, it sounds like a "fight" is only going to start, if you insist on standing on some supposed moral high-ground, and make an issue of it.
So, some adults are planning to consume a little alcohol at a reunion of friends. Big deal. While it may not be ideal in some ways, it probably ain't the end of the world, either.
I would suggest you get over it, and not let it derail your visit with your old friends.
Old 07-15-19, 06:18 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Brocephus
It's unclear what "some" alcohol means. Are they only bringing a few beers or just a bottle of wine, or a keg of beer and a 1/2 gallon of Jack Daniels ? There's drinking, and then there's.......drinking.
Also, it sounds like a "fight" is only going to start, if you insist on standing on some supposed moral high-ground, and make an issue of it.
So, some adults are planning to consume a little alcohol at a reunion of friends. Big deal. While it may not be ideal in some ways, it probably ain't the end of the world, either.
I would suggest you get over it, and not let it derail your visit with your old friends.
Except that he's not standing on moral ground Muttley, he's exercising great wisdom and concern for his friends and other around them. As he stated, your drunken stupor doesn't just effect you but others around you that have the misfortune of coming in contact with you while you're under the influence. Not to mention he could also end up in jail on a DUI since riding a bike drunk carries the same penalty as driving while intoxicated.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 07-15-19, 06:28 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I don't tell others how to live their lives. Works for me.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-15-19, 06:32 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jon c.
You sure about that? Before you wax too PC think about it for a moment. What happens when their behavior encroaches onto your territory?
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 07-15-19, 06:37 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Except that he's not standing on moral ground Muttley, he's exercising great wisdom and concern for his friends and other around them. As he stated, your drunken stupor doesn't just effect you but others around you that have the misfortune of coming in contact with you while you're under the influence. Not to mention he could also end up in jail on a DUI since riding a bike drunk carries the same penalty as driving while intoxicated.
While I fully grasp the concept of one person's actions affecting others, the OP can't live other people's lives for them, or enforce their views on other adults, regardless of how well intentioned. Also, the OP appears to be in Africa, so I highly doubt anyone is being viciously pursued and prosecuted with a DUI for riding a bike after drinking.
Old 07-15-19, 06:47 AM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Before you wax too PC think about it for a moment.
That strikes me as an odd use of the term. Rather stands the entire concept on its head. But I suppose after a time these nebulous quasi political slights come to mean simply "anything I don't agree with."
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-15-19, 07:39 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
That strikes me as an odd use of the term. Rather stands the entire concept on its head. But I suppose after a time these nebulous quasi political slights come to mean simply "anything I don't agree with."
Originally Posted by Brocephus
The OP appears to be in Africa, so I highly doubt anyone is being viciously pursued and prosecuted with a DUI for riding a bike after drinking.
But likely to have insult and accusation of drunken stupor thrown at him by some pseudo Temperance Movement character who thinks anything he believes and posts is the "proven" essence of great wisdom.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 07-15-19, 02:58 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
That's pretty much what laws are (or should be). It's a the set of rules that others (all of us, really) are supposed to live by in order to, well, live.

The average person can handle ~1 drink/hour, but it varies widely. I will have not more than a single drink if I have to drive home, and I will always wait at least 30 mins or so after I've finished my drink. It's always nice to just sit and relax after dinner or something anyway.

I won't even have a single drink if I'm on my motorcycle, unless there's a good 3 hours window after.
Old 07-15-19, 09:02 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
It's not your problem.

It's not for you to tell someone how to wipe their arse.

Incidentally... Here, if you bring four beers and drink them over the course of six hours, you're probably under the limit when you drive home. If you stay a couple hours before driving, you're good for a fifth.

Personally i think any alcohol before driving is a daft idea, and it's playing with fire. But the biggest problem is that it can bite you even if you're under the limit - if anything happens, if it's someone else's fault, and you're under the limit, the local press and social media will still say you had 'drank alcohol'.
Old 07-16-19, 03:46 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5989 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
I'm from drinking culture myself and quite fond of the stuff, both for the taste and the effects on the state of mind. A real drinking culture, where it's woven into the social fabric, has the unpleasant tendency to make people justify why they are not drinking. But a proper drinking culture also comes with social norms in drunk behaviour. DUI has been 'not done' for decades with only a few exceptions, small social circles of usually men that have developped their own values in an atmosphere full of testosteron, can be a rural bar crowd with a lot of petty criminal records, but also sales and marketing men with company BMW's and Audi's with lots of mileage.

It's not circles I'm part of. Imo you have to share some values to be friends, especially concerning alcohol if you drink with your friends those values concern alcohol. People who drive, get aggressive or harass women when drunk can't stay my friends. Intoxication is no excuse to misbehave. I don't preach to my friends and I don't like to be preached to, but that's different from drawing the line somewhere.

I'm completely fine with drunk or otherwise intoxicated cycling. It's not dangerous to others and it keeps people from DUI, while keeping that lovely drinking culture alive. Have a drink, take the bike, I've done that myself many times and drinking to the level that you can't ride a bike anymore is too much to be fun anyway.
Old 07-16-19, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
OP is in a country infamous for bad roads. I don't know if that matters, but I won't be trying to give advice here because there's too many unanswered questions about the amount of drinking involved, and I've never been to Tunisia.

I do think that people chastising the OP for some form of puritanism are really off the mark here. I don't care if other people drink and understand that is not my business, but if they then drive, it actually becomes my business as well as the business of everyone who might be on the roads at that time. I also really don't want to watch my friends setting themselves up for getting arrested and/or hurt. Again, I don't know the amount of alcohol involved here, but I might very well refuse to socialize with someone in a context in which they are making it clear they intend to behave in a blatantly hazardous manner. It's not a moral judgment on them or a relationship-threatening thing, simply that I don't want to be part of an event that could very easily lead to someone getting hurt or killed.
Old 07-16-19, 02:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
It's not your problem.

Incidentally... Here, if you bring four beers and drink them over the course of six hours, you're probably under the limit when you drive home. If you stay a couple hours before driving, you're good for a fifth.

Personally i think any alcohol before driving is a daft idea, and it's playing with fire. But the biggest problem is that it can bite you even if you're under the limit - if anything happens, if it's someone else's fault, and you're under the limit, the local press and social media will still say you had 'drank alcohol'.
It is your problem if you or someone you know gets injured or killed by a drunk driver that you knew you could have stopped from driving.

But how far do you go arguing with a person whose judgement is already impaired or whose logic is that he's done activity 'x' for 'y' years and nothing has happened so therefore nothing bad will ever happen.

This thread is similar to

https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-...fety-road.html

with just about the same variation of advice.
Old 07-20-19, 11:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
This:
I'm completely fine with drunk or otherwise intoxicated cycling. It's not dangerous to others and it keeps people from DUI, while keeping that lovely drinking culture alive. Have a drink, take the bike, I've done that myself many times and drinking to the level that you can't ride a bike anymore is too much to be fun anyway.
Or walk. Don't drink and drive. It's that simple. Use a DD or taxi or Uber.

Last edited by genec; 07-20-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-20-19, 01:32 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
i don't know how to deal with it this time.
Any advice ?
Tough situation. I admire you for thinking it through and ackowledge that both you and others have potential risk. And as thoughtful and caring as you appear to be, if they do DWI and harm someone, I am thinking you will feel guilty. While you cannot influence them for life, I have no doubt that you might have some influence in this particular situation.
Old 07-20-19, 07:40 PM
KraneXL

"...am I my brother's keeper?"

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
It's not your problem.

And if they're in a room sitting next to you all day? You might want to rethink that one?
Old 07-20-19, 08:38 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Two nights ago a cyclist was killed/murdered, in Sandy Springs, GA., by a drunk driver, no license or insurance since his last dui....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.