Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Probikekit Packaging Sucks!!!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 07:53 PM
samsation7
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ordered an Ultegra group set to build up an old Steel frame. my components arrived in a big green (7 up green) bag. All of the components are new but without Shimano boxes or manuals. WTF? This is my 6th time ordering from these guys. The last two time I ordered Look pedals, they didn't bother shipping my stuff with Look boxes. Now this. I will probably buy again but whoever did the packaging owes me a black eye.

This happen to you guys?
Old 08-28-06, 07:57 PM
Ih8lucky13
The Truth

Bikes: Felt f4c, Felt RXC, Guerciotti Khaybar,Guerciotti EM-2, Cervelo P-3.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you think they don't charge for shipping, they have to cut shipping costs somehow
Old 08-28-06, 08:03 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by samsation7
All of the components are new but without Shimano boxes or manuals.
Discounters are able to offer the lowest prices by selling OEM parts... they have never seen boxes. If you want the boxes, go to your LBS and buy the components retail.

A discounter is likely to ship you OEM parts, whether bicycle parts, computer components or anything else.

If the retail box is important to you for ANY item, the only sure way to get it is to buy retail.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-28-06, 08:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Never thought of it. I got a whole box full of Campy parts and was happy to have each piece well wrapped in bubblewrap with the proper documentation and warranty card.
Old 08-28-06, 08:24 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
I ordered an Ultegra group set to build up an old Steel frame. my components arrived in a big green (7 up green) bag. All of the components are new but without Shimano boxes or manuals. WTF? This is my 6th time ordering from these guys. The last two time I ordered Look pedals, they didn't bother shipping my stuff with Look boxes. Now this. I will probably buy again but whoever did the packaging owes me a black eye.

This happen to you guys?
You've got to be ****ting me right? You pay NOTHING for shipping, why the hell do you want the boxes anyways?

If you want boxes, go pay more for the same thing at another retailer and then pay extra on top of that for shipping. You'll get your boxes then. Enjoy.

For the record when I ordered my Campy groupset, it came with fullboxes - from PBK.
Old 08-28-06, 08:29 PM
AzureDrpTp

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got some dura ace components and they all came with boxes. So I think YMMV when it comes to how PBK ships your items.

In the same shipment (which came in a bag like yours) I had two tacx tao bottle holders that were damaged. Notified PBK and received a new pair 3 days later. You can't beat PBK on prices or customer service in my opinion.
Old 08-28-06, 08:31 PM
Proximo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered an Ultegra group set to build up an old Steel frame. my components arrived in a big green (7 up green) bag. All of the components are new but without Shimano boxes or manuals. WTF?
As everyone else has pointed out, that's the way OEM parts are packaged. You can download the manuals from shimano.com.
Old 08-28-06, 08:40 PM
samsation7
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those comments about "buying from a discounter, what do you expect" is rather inane. Well, I obviously didn't expect missing boxes, that is why I ask. Not all things are teological like you think....discounter, ergo missing boxes. Please....

So it seems that if you order groupsets from PBK, then you get box and mauals. So is my case an odd one? I'm looking for a reply from someone who also ordered a semi highend groupset and didn't get any documentations. My last pedal orders didn't come with boxes so I thought the same thing applies to groupsets.

I didn't mean to inflame anyone, just trying to understand my situation.

Originally Posted by operator
You've got to be ****ting me right? You pay NOTHING for shipping, why the hell do you want the boxes anyways?

If you want boxes, go pay more for the same thing at another retailer and then pay extra on top of that for shipping. You'll get your boxes then. Enjoy.

For the record when I ordered my Campy groupset, it came with fullboxes - from PBK.
Old 08-28-06, 08:44 PM
samsation7
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said, I wouldn't mind buying from them again. I just didn't expect this, that's all.

Originally Posted by caloso
Never thought of it. I got a whole box full of Campy parts and was happy to have each piece well wrapped in bubblewrap with the proper documentation and warranty card.
Old 08-28-06, 09:19 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bought various Dura ace parts from PBK ~4 months ago. All in original boxes including the cranks.

Also bought Look pedals in a previous order to that one and also it also came in its original box.
Old 08-29-06, 01:14 AM
miyata610
Very Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered an utegra goupset from them and they came in the oem packaging (plastic bags), without doco.

Suits me just fine. Great price.

I will order another set for my spouses steel bike as soon as they get the stock in.
Old 08-29-06, 03:51 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my 1 year old nephew a helmet. He played for hours with box and ignored the helmet.

All seriously. As long as the part are not damaged who cares. Veloce breaks (box), a few sets of Vittoria rubino pro tires (no boxes), Look KEO Carbons (no box, but bubble rap ). savings to me on those three purchases over $300 CDN.
Old 08-29-06, 04:24 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like I said, I wouldn't mind buying from them again. I just didn't expect this, that's all.
No, what you said was the person that packed your package owed you a black eye. Now calm down, son.
Old 08-29-06, 04:45 AM
EGreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This happen to you guys?
Obviously they don't like you.
Old 08-29-06, 05:01 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Those pretentious, fish-and-chips-eatin' MO-FO's....

But really, what do you need the box for?

My Look Keos came in their original box... go figure. Maybe they streamlined their shipping since then.
Old 08-29-06, 06:23 AM
onRoffR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my Look KEO carbons came with a box my KEO classics came in a bag both had cleats, hardware and manuals. Both came shipped in the blue Royal post poly shipping bags. condition and performance of the classic pedals are perfect. I guess thats one drawback buying overseas is that they don't have to disclaim that products may be OEM. but I will continue buying stuff from PBK. Tires and pedals are like buying at cost and shipping free!
Old 08-29-06, 06:28 AM
whitemax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is their shipping always free? I noticed on their website that it is only for a limited time. There is currently no tax either. What does OEM stand for?
Old 08-29-06, 06:28 AM
whitemax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is their shipping always free? I noticed on their website that it is only for a limited time. There is currently no tax either. What does OEM stand for?
Old 08-29-06, 06:29 AM
WCroadie

Bikes: 2010 Trek Madone 5.5 CAAD9

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Ultegra 10 speed group came bubble wrapped in plastic bags without boxes. That's just fine with me if I can save a lot of money. PBK has been great so far. I'm about to order some things for my Dad today.
Old 08-29-06, 06:51 AM
onRoffR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
even when the shipping wasn't free it was $14.99 considering that when I bought my KEo carbons they were $113 in the us at my LBS they sell for $225. it is still a great deal. I had gotten an Email about 3 months ago saying free shipping was about to end but it hasn't and there is no indication of when it will so take advantage of it. Sales tax, technically is your responsibility even if your not charged by an out of state supplier. Thats your thing what you do. In the US somes states have taxation agreements with neighboring states or if the company has a bricks and mortar outlet in your state, then they charge tax. most out of state companies do not charge tax. OEM is Original equipment manufacturer, this is equipment that is supplied to manufacturers when they are specing /equiping pre-built bike packages,complete bikes. bike manufacturers don't deal with boxes. they buy bulk parts.
Old 08-29-06, 11:04 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Funny. When I came home last night, there was a bright blue plastic package on my doorstep. My new Ultegra pedals and Vittoria tires. The tires came in the original boxes. The pedals and cleats came in bubble wrap, no box. Everything arrived quickly, in perfect condition, and was a screaming deal even with the strong pound sterling.
Old 08-29-06, 11:41 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since you are posting in these forums by accessing the internet, go to the part's manufacturer's website and download the manuel. It is not to hard, and Adobe has a free plugin to download PDF files. I had to do this with a new Cateye Strada cycloputer that I bought without a package or instrcution sheet.
Old 08-29-06, 12:16 PM
jjmolyet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not "sucks" just has character
2008 Gary Fisher X-Caliber 29er
.........that's how I Roll.
Old 08-29-06, 01:02 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, not sure why all the hostility. I ordered an ultegra cassette from PBK that came in pieces in a bag. I asked the same question. I figured it would come in one piece at least. That's why they call them cassettes and not a bag of cogs.

You would at least think they would mention it on the website that in order to provide us with awesome prices they ship in OEM packaging which excludes boxes and manuals. I doubt most people would mind but would at least like to know in advance. For those prices I know I sure don't mind!
Old 08-29-06, 02:03 PM
caloso

I think it's weird that parts are showing up without documentation. Everything I've ever gotten from them had all the manuals and warranty info wrapped up in the bubble tape. And the Ultegra pedals even came with reflectors which could be bolted on. I didn't even know such things existed.