Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Doing a century, college football and those hot dogs again

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 08:47 PM
Wiswell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Topic #1
I've never done a century. I've done several metrics, all without the benefit of drafting (ok, maybe in a mass start for an hour or so). Somehow I don't think I am capable of doing one.

I typically ride 100-150 miles per week, including the rolling hills of WI. I will average 16-17. My most recent ride, where I had to slow to pull someone I hooked up with, came in at 17 mph (no drafting) over 67 miles.

I'm thinking it's time to take the plunge to the full century. Anyone have advice on an organized ride coming up in the area that has a manageable century? Sometimes I think I won't do it just because I would get bored. I have very rarely hooked up with other folks on organized rides (not fast enough for the fast group, too fast for the slow group). Also, what was your motivation to get through your first century? Were you alone or with a group?

Topic #2
Is Northern Illinois any good in football? My husband and I love college football, but it's impossible to get Badgers tickets (not too mention that Badger fans are really rude). If we were to choose a competitive home game, what would it be? If you could choose between seeing a Northwestern game and an NIU game, which would be more competitive (conference schedules only)?

Topic #3
Those Chicago hot dogs again. Can they be found in DeKalb? Portillos?

Here are some Madison food tips (cheese and brats aren't even involved!):
On the Square: Get Teddywedgers (a Cornish pasty)
If you are staying on the west side for the DLD, try a dinner at Hubbard Ave Diner in Middleton. Good eats, great pies.
Old 07-16-07, 09:12 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Wiswell,

You could do a century without batting an eye. I ride about the same distance and speed as you and I do quite a few centuries a year. It is all mental. Take a look at the BFNIC ride schedule:

Link

There are a lot of rides on there in the area. I encourage you to meet up with us on one of them. We'll help get you through century with no problems.

Can't really help on topics 2 and 3....sorry...

Old 07-16-07, 10:01 PM
jbmadtown
Undrafted free-agent.

Bikes: 2005 Jamis Satellite w/ 105/Ultegra, Motobecane Fantom Cross Fixed, 1999 Schwinn Homegrown Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My plan is to make this year's Wright Stuff Century my first 100 mile ride. I've heard it's a challenging ride, but I take comfort in knowing there will be well-stocked rest stations and a sag wagon should I need it. I've done several metric centuries- both on my own and in organized "challenge" rides, but I think I'm in the same boat as you- just needing to cross the psychological barrier to get to 100. My longest ride so far is 73 miles (Madison to Blue Mounds and back). It would be good for you to hook up with some Bombay rides- there are the hammerheads, yes. But I've found that some people ride at a very reasonable pace and there are consistently ride options of 70 miles and up.

College football- now we're talking! NIU football is an up-and-coming program that has started to get some national attention in recent years. They play in a "mid-major" conference so the overall talent may be a bit less than the big 10, but the games can be WIDE open and from what I see on ESPN, NIU draws a good crowd. Definitely good stuff to watch. Northwestern plays in the Big 10 so they'll play the same teams -more or less- than the Badgers.

Chicago dogs- something tells me ya just gotta go to chicago for that. Teddywedgers are the perfect post-ride meal! (I live near the square so it's an easy stop for me to make). I take it you've had brunch at Marigold Kitchen? To me it's the best food downtown!
Old 07-17-07, 07:19 AM
Wiswell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was contemplating the WSC since it only a 30 minute trip from my house. That probably would be a feet-first plunge into a century, yes? Does it cover some HHH roads?

Otherwise, the Cream City or Harmon Hundred are a possibility. Thanks for the list. Have you done these before?

In the meantime, I am still aiming for the "warm up" Bombay ride 7/29 + travel to get me to 85 or so.

P.S. College football, now that could be a thread unto itself!
Old 07-17-07, 07:53 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiswell
Here are some Madison food tips.
The Parthenon or Zorba's?

(I'm showing my age)
Old 07-17-07, 08:06 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Do the Cream City Cycle Century out of Waterford. That's a great ride and perfect for a first century.

Football: NIU is easier to get tickets (the sold out game v. Iowa at Soldier Field notwithstanding) and you don't have to go deep into Chicagoland to get there. Northwestern games are fun, too, though, and if you get the ticket situation right you can catch the Badgers there every other year or three. Evanston is a fun town.

Hot dogs: If all you can get to is Portillo's, then that's quite alright. They'll get you a decent Chicago style dog, or if you want an Italian Beef or any other artery clogger, they are good at that, too.
Old 07-17-07, 12:52 PM
Wiswell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
... I ride about the same distance and speed as you and I do quite a few centuries a year. It is all mental. Take a look at the BFNIC ride schedule:

Link

There are a lot of rides on there in the area. I encourage you to meet up with us on one of them. We'll help get you through century with no problems.

Can't really help on topics 2 and 3....sorry...
You must have really understanding wives. You guys are out almost every weekend! I'd like to give Cream City a try; depends on travel considerations (2 hr drive/leave early or stay overnight).
Old 07-18-07, 08:23 AM
dynodan22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am signing up to do the cream city 100 . I am in the same shoe as you, I am roughly
biking the same mileage. This will be my first century attempt. I can do 65 comfortably.
What I have found out though about my self is what I eat and amount of rest I get determines
how I rode the next day on a long ride. I have bonked from eating a riding with little amount of
sleep. If you like to suffer with me on the century your more than welcome to. I am in Milwaukee
so I am only a 1/2 hr out from waterford area. Badger fans are just rabid after all those years that
we did suck. If you need 2 tickets for a game let me know I can get them for you face value
on certain ones that my cousins not going to.

Dynodan
Old 07-18-07, 08:33 AM
whitesox

Bikes: Giant OCR-C3 Composite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first century at the Ramble Ride... on June 16th, in Wilmot, WI.

Prior to that, I'd probably ridden a max of 150 miles since I got my bike this Spring.

Personally, I did not find a century that hard. I think it's more about a good weather day, decent roads, good rest stops... and hopefully you can hook up with a few rides to keep you company.

Good luck... like me, I think you'll just know when it's meant to be. You'll be at the ride, and you'll think... today is a good day to try for a century That's how it worked for me
Old 07-18-07, 09:31 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

You must have really understanding wives. You guys are out almost every weekend! I'd like to give Cream City a try; depends on travel considerations (2 hr drive/leave early or stay overnight).
Not really....who said time at home was not spent arguing about how much we ride?

Old 07-18-07, 09:41 AM
nvr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's because we're married that we're out riding almost every weekend. Oh that's baaaaaad. You have more mileage on your legs than I did when I did my first century. After 70ish miles is when I start getting a little bored, but if you can find someone to ride with, it does make the last miles fly by faster. I think for a first timer, it's just more of a mental thing. Go for it, you'll be fine. Don't forget to drink and eat during the ride. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 07-18-07, 10:21 AM
Apnu

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not consider joining Team in Training and going that route for a century? They'll help you get ready training, coaches and the like plus give you some riding buddies. And they'll ship to to Arizona for the century.

They kick off July 28th so you've got time to join. I'm doing it this year, looking forward to it.

Check out the Illinois chapter: https://www.teamintraining.org/il/
Old 07-18-07, 10:34 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

....or you could step out your front door, go ride 100 miles, and call it a day. It's a century....not a life changing event that must be planned for a year in advance.....

Nothing against Team in Training, but I'd prefer for a Team in Training plug to include full disclosure....

If you join Team in Training you will be obligated to raise funds/donations in addition to riding. FYI.

Old 07-18-07, 10:46 AM
Apnu

Bikes: 2006 Dahon Jack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
If you join Team in Training you will be obligated to raise funds/donations in addition to riding. FYI.
Yes this is true, and the minimum fund-raising amount for Chicago is $3900.00. The amount isn't on their page, but the raising funds is obvious in about 3 seconds of reading.

But the OP wanted some help doing a century and wasn't sure if they're prepared. TNT will help do that. I'm a super-clyde (259 lbs) and need some help getting in shape, I committed to TNT for that (and the experience).

Plus, were this a TNT plug, I would have asked for money. I'm not... just making a suggestion. Take it or leave it.
Old 07-18-07, 11:07 AM
Shubox
Still Learning

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom and Jerry's in Dekalb was a wonderful food joint if its still there down the street from NIU
Old 07-18-07, 12:06 PM
Brigadier
Mountain goat

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Brava, 2004 Marin Larkspur, 2005 Schwinn Fastback Pro, 2005 Kona JTS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was contemplating the WSC since it only a 30 minute trip from my house. That probably would be a feet-first plunge into a century, yes? Does it cover some HHH roads?

Otherwise, the Cream City or Harmon Hundred are a possibility. Thanks for the list. Have you done these before?

In the meantime, I am still aiming for the "warm up" Bombay ride 7/29 + travel to get me to 85 or so.

P.S. College football, now that could be a thread unto itself!
The WSC can be tough if you don't prepare. It was my first century and I finished but only afterwards found out there is something like 8,000 feet of climbing. You can see route from the last two years on motionbased.com. Just be aware they change it up on an annual basis so the only thing I know should be on there for sure is the start out of Tyrol, the climb of County T into Barnevald and the descent back to the start.
Old 07-19-07, 07:03 AM
Wiswell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I've discussed it at home, and I'm on for the Cream City! Hope to see some of you there. Mental preparation starts now.