Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

What Winter jacket do you own/wear?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 10:47 AM
Biscayne05

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been looking for a replacement for my Louis Garneau Massimo 2 --- it's an excellent jacket (can survive the winters in the north east paired with UA Cold Gear turtleneck) but it's American cut. I also got a Nalini Pike jacket but bought a size too big I'm now using an old Castelli jacket which is more geared for fall weather but I'm braving it out.

Just wondering what everybody's using.
Old 01-14-13, 12:02 PM
JAG410

Bikes: A few ;)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Outdoor Research Foray shell with a cheap fleece underneath. Add/remove layers as needed. It was -2F this morning and I was warm.
Old 01-14-13, 01:01 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
My warmer riding jacket is a performance Wind Jacket. Why they call it a wind jacket, I don't know, as that suggests it is a windbreaker and it is actually a relatively thick, fleece lined riding jacket. Easy to access rear zippered pocket, waist pockets, and a really handy left chest pocket.
Old 01-14-13, 03:50 PM
Methodical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gore Phantom 2.O Windstopper

Last edited by Methodical; 01-15-13 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 10:08 PM
Show_Guy

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 PRO 105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic Espoir Thermo Jacket.

https://www.mavic.com/en/product/appa...-Thermo-Jacket
Old 01-15-13, 01:11 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

I'm currently eyeing the Castelli Espresso Jacket and Gore Tool Jacket (apparently, it's the same as the Xenon SO and Power SO? Can anyone clarify that?)

I can find the Castelli in the colour I want but it's $70 more than the Gore (ehh, I can deal with the Red for more visibility I guess). Both are apparently good for our constant 35F and below weather here but a review said the Castelli is over-vented that it actually lets the cold in instead of venting out the heat from your body.
Old 01-15-13, 12:37 PM
henkie327

Bikes: Metabikes Metaphrastic Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pearl Izumi pro soft shell 180
Old 01-15-13, 12:52 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
The past three years my outer jacket has been a $10 no-name windbreaker. In 30-50 weather I just wear a wicking shirt underneath, 10-30 I go with a sweater/fleece, and below 10 degrees I add a thin third layer. Works perfectly for me.
Old 01-15-13, 01:07 PM
Thomand

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use this one, and are really happy with it.

https://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...acket-11-45457
Attached Images
Old 01-15-13, 04:17 PM
aser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a mec ferrata 2 (schoeller dryskin) or a mission workshop orion (schoeller c-change). The schoeller dryskin has adwr treatment, whereas the orion is fully waterproof w/ taped seams/zippers.

Both are great, huge fan of schoeller fabrics.

I wear a defeet long sleeve base layer with a merino wool sweater and sometimes a sportswool long sleeve jersey underneath the jackets.
Old 01-15-13, 05:13 PM
fasthair

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
Thanks guys.

I'm currently eyeing the Castelli Espresso Jacket
I'm guessing you mean the Espresso Due Jacket? I love mine and ride it down to Zero F with proper base layers. Not cheap buy any means but worth every penny to me. To be honest when I took it out of the bag I was like... sure... But to my pleasant surprise it is a great jacket!

fasthair
Old 01-15-13, 06:16 PM
Methodical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

I'm currently eyeing the Castelli Espresso Jacket and Gore Tool Jacket (apparently, it's the same as the Xenon SO and Power SO? Can anyone clarify that?)

I can find the Castelli in the colour I want but it's $70 more than the Gore (ehh, I can deal with the Red for more visibility I guess). Both are apparently good for our constant 35F and below weather here but a review said the Castelli is over-vented that it actually lets the cold in instead of venting out the heat from your body.
They have the Gore jacket on sale as probably already know. Go through Mr. Rebates and get cash back from the sale - 8%.

https://www.backcountry.com/gore-bike...ol-jacket-mens
Old 01-15-13, 06:56 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I like a microfiber type windbreaker, non-waterproof, something on the order of the Performance Century jacket, something that will easily stuff into a jersey pocket if I start to get warm and it's not raining.
Old 01-15-13, 07:05 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Columbia Omnitech shell over how much wool I need to stay warm.

The stock liner for the jacket cannot compare to the wool and I wear that separately or in warmer weather.
Old 01-16-13, 10:58 AM
Chief Brody

Bikes: '12 Felt F75X, '11 Scott CX Team, '08 Specialized Singlecross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 or the Gore Phantom 2.0. I had searched high and low looking for a new winter jacket. I had decided on the PI Pro Softshell 180, but then I found the Gore jacket on sale for $55. This was well below the cost of the PI jacket. I figured for the price, it could not be beat; if it didn't work out, I'm not out a ton of money. I have been very happy with it so far. I have used it down into the low 20s without issue. Once it gets below 30 degrees, I pair it with a mid-weight polypro long sleeve, and it has been great. Just note that this jacket has a breathable back and it is not a full softshell. Since I have a hardshell for the rain and slop, this was not a deal breaker for me, and I actually like the increased breathability it provides.
Old 01-17-13, 08:20 PM
DJ Shaun

Bikes: Diamondback Copperhead (hardtail, winter bike), 2014 Giant Rapid 2, 2015 Kona Big Rove ST

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We can get temps down to -20C (or lower) here. I wear a Descente Course ski jacket in neon yellow on the coldest & snowiest days.
Old 01-17-13, 10:41 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is my first winter bicycle commuting, but I have found a system that works well for me. I wear a Yellowjacket windbreaker:
https://www.bicycleclothing.com/Wind-Jackets.html

Similar to Lasauge (previous post), I just vary the layers under the windbreaker (temp range is approximate and changes if wind becomes a more major factor):
40-50 F - loose polyester running shirt,
30-40 F - either poly running shirt or midweight merino wool shirt,
20-30 F - either midweight merino wool alone or with a poly running shirt on top of it
10-20 F - wool with poly running shirt on top of it

The things I really like about the J&G Yellowjacket are:
- pitzips can open if things get warmer on ride or for afternoon commute, etc.
- with the jacket and a poly shirt and a wool shirt (on me or in the pannier), I can vary layers and cover a huge temperature range
- reflective stripes on sleeves and back
- durable and fairly breatheable nylon
- machine wash, hang dry, and it dries quickly, always by next morning in our house

It is cut full/roomy, so if you are a speed demon that might not be appealing to you. For a layering approach on a city bicycle commuter, it rocks.

I also tend to go a little warmer on legwear than many might, mainly to avoid muscle tightness in cold weather (in addition to stretching and warm-up) - but the upper and lower work together in body warmth.

I am a full-time bike commuter now and have been using this jacket every day in temps down to 7 F so far with varied layers underneath. I like it. For our Central Illinois climate, I think I am pretty much covered.
Old 01-18-13, 01:27 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow thanks for the responses. I ended up with this through some research/reviews:

https://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike...T&navid=search

Review: https://road.cc/content/review/28181-...ygen-so-jacket

It's $112 right now @ PBK then I used PBK10 for 10% off. It's half of the Castelli Espresso Due jacket I really wanted and I think $100 is a LOT of savings. There's also the Gore Path jacket (Goretex!) for $135 @ PBK which is highly rated but I wanted something more form fitting (the Oxygen jacket is a Tight fit according to Gore).

Now onto some serious winter gloves...
Old 01-18-13, 07:30 AM
abraxist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trial and error has led to a Patagonia R4 with various baselayers depending on temp down to about 10F, then a softshell breathable rainjacket over this for colder.
Old 01-18-13, 08:46 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow thanks for the responses. I ended up with this through some research/reviews:

https://www.goreapparel.com/gore-bike...T&navid=search

Review: https://road.cc/content/review/28181-...ygen-so-jacket

It's $112 right now @ PBK then I used PBK10 for 10% off. It's half of the Castelli Espresso Due jacket I really wanted and I think $100 is a LOT of savings. There's also the Gore Path jacket (Goretex!) for $135 @ PBK which is highly rated but I wanted something more form fitting (the Oxygen jacket is a Tight fit according to Gore).

Now onto some serious winter gloves...
I noticed something from the link you gave. Don't know if it matter to you.
Here is what is written:

My only real criticism is the lack of ventilation: you have the front zip but that’s all. Windstopper fabric is reasonably breathable but even in the sub-zero temperatures of some of our test rides I was sweating on the big climbs. Pit zips would have helped keep the atmosphere less humid in there. There’s a lot to be said for the clutter-free approach too though, and it ultimately comes down to a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-18-13, 09:47 AM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and it ultimately comes down to a matter of personal preference.
...and that's my personal preference I have no issues unzipping once in a while to let the heat disperse.
Old 01-18-13, 10:26 AM
roby

Bikes: `09 Tarmac Comp, `09 FSR XC Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use the Sugoi RS Zero jacket with layers. I like it.

Roby!
Old 01-18-13, 10:39 AM
Methodical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...and that's my personal preference I have no issues unzipping once in a while to let the heat disperse.

Biscayne below is a link to the Phantom 2.0 that's on sale for $125 (plus you can get another 8% thru Mr. Rebate). It offers: warmth; a 2 in 1 jacket (sleeves can be removed and worn as a jersey); venting if needed (you can slightly unzip the sleeves if you'd need to); venting out back. It provides the same warmth as the one you linked. I know it's your preference, but I think you get more for your money with this jacket and it cost less, depending on your size and color preference (different colors are on sale). "It's better to have and not need than to need and not have." Take a look at it.

https://www.backcountry.com/gore-bike...questid=289910

https://www.mrrebates.com/merchants/a...d.asp?letter=b

Last edited by Methodical; 01-18-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 10:45 AM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's your choice but unzipping in front with cold wind coming is pneumonia for sure for me
Old 01-18-13, 12:09 PM
Aawil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the MW Orion, I liked it so much off the bike that I bought the Bosun and Trigger when they had the 30% off sale. I really like these Schoeller fabrics. I picked up a couple of rapha's base layers when they were on sale for my base layer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.