Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Shouldn't Bike Shorts And Saddles Work Together?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Shouldn't Bike Shorts And Saddles Work Together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-23, 12:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,422 Times in 2,986 Posts
I might be stating the obvious, but bike short design and manufacturing is driven by Big Pad.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-12-23, 01:17 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle
Thanks. Those still have padding in the perineal and testicular area, but at least it’s thin.
that might look like "padding" but it isn't. it's just a layer of absorbant fabric, that's all
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-12-23, 01:25 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 1,616 Times in 1,062 Posts
How do you know it works for everyone? What about the millions of people who tried cycling and quit because they weren’t comfortable? Of course, they also don’t post in these forums, because they left cycling for other activities.
I'm a saddle maker and fitter. I ran into this issue before, but that gentleman was open minded enough to STOP SITTING ON HIS BALLS. Problem solved.

That said, I have owned one (1) pair of shorts where the pad was so stiff that it put pressure on my correctly located testicles. Also not a common problem.

Ever notice how forums are full of relatively new folks to the hobby that are convinced they know better than all the long time people? Why do they know better?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 01-12-23, 01:40 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
FWIW, OP- I understand your problem. However I dont have the answer. I just find some cheap saddle that works for me. Shorts are all the same. I position my junk resting on top of saddle, not under my body getting crushed. YMMV
Old 01-12-23, 01:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10477 Post(s)
Liked 11,996 Times in 6,143 Posts
Man, I'm confused by your answers. Let's try this. If you were naked, and sitting on your bike in a normal riding position, would your testicles be contacting the saddle? Or are you saying that yours somehow stay up between your thighs instead of hanging down?
Your shorts should be snug enough that, once you have them on, they stay where you put 'em, which should be up out of the way. If yours aren't, U R doin' it wrong.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-12-23, 09:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 5,735 Times in 2,954 Posts
I would be interested in a show or hands where this is an issue. Mr Eagle counts as 1.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-13-23, 02:26 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 3978 Post(s)
Liked 7,422 Times in 2,986 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I would be interested in a show or hands where this is an issue. Mr Eagle counts as 1.
I know a guy, who knows a guy, whose cousin says he's heard of someone that has this issue.
Old 01-13-23, 04:35 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked 4,957 Times in 3,064 Posts
This guy has the same problem:-

Old 01-16-23, 12:19 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 381 Posts
I have problems with thickly padded shorts, so I buy shorts with thin pads. I accept the proposition that the pads wick moisture away, which is a Good Thing, so I'm good with triathlon shorts, Boures, even Voler. I'm sure there are other manufacturers who use thinner pads, but I stop looking when I find something that works - I don't like shopping.

Shorts haven't always been this way. Cyclists used to wear wool shorts with real chamois. The wool was thick, but the chamois was thinner than the pad of any modern shorts I've seen. (Chamois and wool have numerous pluses and minuses when compared to modern shorts, but that's not the topic of this thread.) The chamois didn't wick moisture away; rather, I believe, moisture on the chamois reduced the leg and groin friction of pedaling.
Old 01-16-23, 03:05 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I might be stating the obvious, but bike short design and manufacturing is driven by Big Pad.
Reading this whole thread, I can't help thinking you might be onto something.

Back in about 1969 I bought my first derailleur bike, a new Raleigh Super-Course with a Brooks B-17 saddle on it. I had hitchhiked up to the bike shop, bought the thing, and rode it 20 miles home, learning how to shift as I went.

Back then, about the only thing I ever wore below the waist was close-fitting jeans over tighty-whities.

I remember the dealer saying something ominous as I rolled it out the door, to the effect of how I'd like it once the saddle broke in "... or your ass breaks."

I never did figure out what he was talking about; I got many consecutive hours of enjoyment out of that bike and never once suffered any crotch damage or even discomfort worth mentioning.
Old 01-16-23, 04:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10477 Post(s)
Liked 11,996 Times in 6,143 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
I have problems with thickly padded shorts, so I buy shorts with thin pads. I accept the proposition that the pads wick moisture away, which is a Good Thing, so I'm good with triathlon shorts, Boures, even Voler. I'm sure there are other manufacturers who use thinner pads, but I stop looking when I find something that works - I don't like shopping.

Shorts haven't always been this way. Cyclists used to wear wool shorts with real chamois. The wool was thick, but the chamois was thinner than the pad of any modern shorts I've seen. (Chamois and wool have numerous pluses and minuses when compared to modern shorts, but that's not the topic of this thread.) The chamois didn't wick moisture away; rather, I believe, moisture on the chamois reduced the leg and groin friction of pedaling.
Cyclists wore wool shorts with real chamois because that's what there was. When something better came along, the dropped them like a hot rock.

I thought I had problems with thickly padded shorts, but it turns out the real problem wasn't the thickness of the pad, but rather the design. The thick pads I'd experienced put too much directly under the sit bones, which accentuated rather than mitigated the pressure there. I also found that I'd move around on the saddle, usually sliding forward and the having to push myself back. So I stuck with less expensive, less thickly padded shorts. Then I saw a sale on LeCol's 'Hors Categorie' bib shorts - half price! I bought two pair, figuring if I didn't like 'em I could send back the unused one. Oh. My. God. They are SO comfortable! The padding is thick, but well designed. No pressure where I don't want it, no focus of pressure on the sit bones, no sliding around the saddle.

I'm waiting for them to go on sale again, so I can replace all my old Louis Garneaus.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-17-23, 09:28 AM
bike eagle
Banned.

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Ever notice how forums are full of relatively new folks to the hobby that are convinced they know better than all the long time people? Why do they know better?
Ever notice that my join date was before yours?

Also, I'm 62 years old, and I've been cycling for 55 years. Does that make me "new to the hobby?"

Just because someone doesn't have as high a post count as you, doesn't make them "new to the hobby." It might just mean that they're out riding more than you are and spending less time on this forum.

Last edited by bike eagle; 01-17-23 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-17-23, 10:05 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4475 Post(s)
Liked 1,616 Times in 1,062 Posts
Ever notice that my join date was before yours?

Also, I'm 62 years old, and I've been cycling for 55 years. Does that make me "new to the hobby?"

Just because someone doesn't have as high a post count as you, doesn't make them "new to the hobby." It might just mean that they're out riding more than you are and spending less time on this forum.
Ive been wearing bike shorts successfully for 35 years and have had many opportunities to discuss their fit with other cyclists. Your comments suggest you have not.

As many of us have stated, you are essentially wearing your shorts wrong and sitting on your testicles. I have no idea why that seems to be controversial to you - which is why I opined that you must be new to cycling

Please stop sitting on your balls.
Old 01-19-23, 11:00 AM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 164 Posts
One of my frustrations with saddles and bike shorts is that they often seem to be working against each other.

The saddle manufacturers logically try to remove pressure from the crotch area through the use of cutouts and complex curves. On the other hand, the bike shorts manufacturers (who are often the same company) seem to be working against that by placing padding right back in those same areas. The result is pressure coming from the shorts padding instead of the seat padding. Different cause, same result.

It seems to me like shorts manufacturers should have padding under the sit bones only, and NONE in the crotch area, but I have yet to find a pair of shorts like that. Does anyone know of any?
There is one problem that needs to be clarified, and hopefully point you to the right direction : if there is a cutout in that area of the saddle, then there should be no pressure from the padding. padding by itself can't exert any pressure. pressure comes from your body weight pressing against the saddle. Padding only comes in-between.
Old 01-19-23, 12:10 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
[QUOTE=bike eagle;22771734]Ever notice that my join date was before yours? Also, I'm 62 years old, and I've been cycling for 55 years. Does that make me "new to the hobby?" /QUOTE]

I can't imagine sitting on my testicles for 55 years and only now asking what to do about the discomfort. "Millions" left cycling? I doubt your statistics.

It's also amazing how many people, newcomers or long-time members, come to the forum asking for advice or input and reject every comment that doesn't agree with what they already believe.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 01-20-23, 10:38 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 1,679 Times in 789 Posts
Find some old school real chamois lined shorts.
Old 01-20-23, 11:08 AM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 163 Posts
I think the biggest not-work-together thing was embroidered saddles. Great for trashing expensive bibs. Conspiracy? You be the judge.