Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Looking for a Fast Bike

Old 04-27-20, 07:03 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by NickOnABike
My main takeaways are to not worry about the frame material but to pay attention to the wheels and get something that can accommodate wider tire sizes because they aren't necessarily any slower but do add comfort.
Exactly this. You mentioned doing randos. Having larger tires with lower pressures. A good 200k rando means up to 13 hours on the saddle, and you are going to want to have a much comfort as possible. And if you are in Michigan doing randos with the Detroit Randonneurs group, expect to be on dirt for a few miles.
If I were down to one bike, I'd have two sets of wheels/tires. One for fast 20-30 mile rides, where I'm maxing out my speed. The other wheelset for randos and tours. Then again, I have two bikes setup for each purpose. I can imagine any frame material would be good, and instead focusing on the strength of your wheels.
Old 04-27-20, 04:02 PM
Chad991

Bikes: Lynsky Helix Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 31 Posts
I'm 6' 270 , I ride a Lynsky Helix Pro titanium, motobecane immortal force full carbon(rain bike) and a Volcanic mountain bike...dont let someone dictate , ride what you want. Get good wheels..a lot of big guys ride very nice road bikes....
Old 05-03-20, 12:39 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by NickOnABike
I had not considered anything vintage because I don't think I'm interested in a bike build. The more I think about it thought... I may be overthinking this. Perhaps I should just choose new tires for my LHT and see how that changes the performance. I mean... if I'm looking at staying with steel then how much of a difference would there actually be?
New tires might be the answer. Most of these touring or adventure focused bikes have heavy dead OEM tires. My Bianchi Volpe (a steel entry-level cross, tour, all-road, depending whatever was popular and the ad agency came up with) had these heavy Vittoria Randonneur tires. After one ride I was so shocked a brand new bike felt so dead and I was that out of shape . When I looked up the tire specs they were around 470 grams. Plus they had real heavy tubes. I put on a set of Continental GP4000SII tires and was amazed. I later started using Compass (now Rene Herse) tires and like them even more. Rene Herse now has a lightweight Endurance version for gravel that still is supple, but reinforced. (https://www.renehersecycles.com/new-...700c-and-650b/)

I ride the C&O without problem. I used to use 27x11/8 (28mm) tires on the towpath on my old bike without issue. The Compass tires (700c x 32) on a new custom wheel set, are much more sure footed and fast. In fact they are the nicest non-tubulars I have ridden.

If they do not make a big enough difference, keep them for the new bike...
Old 05-10-20, 12:16 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Made the Kessel run in 12 parsecs fast?
Likes For Toadmeister:
Old 10-05-20, 02:06 PM
CSoho

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
You'd be surprised what you can ride. You're not THAT big/heavy. I'm 6'8" and a tish over 250.

I had a specialized roubaix that I loved, have a custom 64cm Gunnar Sport custom geometry that I built to run looooong (210) cranks, and currently am enjoying a Canyon Endurace. I also have a 60cm Ritchey Breakaway Cross that has been epic awesome and fits into a standard luggage sized case. I was worried about the wheels (zettas) but they've been solid.

Stock wheels are likely a weak point. I never rode the DT's that came on the Specialized as they flexed too much. Had some HED Belgiums built up with 32H and never looked back. The Reynolds Assaults that came with the Canyon have been bombproof in the 2 years I've had it.

Find a fast bike you like, maybe get some beefier wheels and ride it like you stole it.
If you don't mind me asking, do you use the stock seatpost? I just ordered an endurance and the weight limit for the seatpost is 220 lbs. The Bike is 260+, I'm at about 230 so I'm concerned. Thanks!
Old 10-05-20, 02:15 PM
laxpatrick

Bikes: Canyon, Gunnar, Speshes mtb and phat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CSoho
If you don't mind me asking, do you use the stock seatpost? I just ordered an endurance and the weight limit for the seatpost is 220 lbs. The Bike is 260+, I'm at about 230 so I'm concerned. Thanks!
I do. No issues whatsoever.
Old 10-05-20, 02:19 PM
CSoho

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by laxpatrick
I do. No issues whatsoever.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 10-14-20, 06:48 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by CSoho
I have a 2020 Endurace with the stock seatpost (not the spring steel post) and have had zero issues with mine as well. I am absolutely thrilled with the bike overall.
Old 11-04-20, 05:56 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TriBiker19
Have you considered a vintage (80s or 90s) MTB or road bike? I know that there are a lot out there that are made for someone your height. Because they're so tall, the prices are pretty decent--there are more bikes than possible riders. Bonus, a lot of them are steel.

At 250, I used to ride a 2002 Trek hybrid. I wasn't a fan and moved back to a road bike after a couple of years. But it did handle my weight just fine.
I picked up a vintage road bike. 1980 according to serial number. 63.5cm frame. Fits me great when using flat bars. It is an incredibly good bike.
Old 07-31-21, 07:14 PM
mizer2167

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a big guy, 6'5" and 107kg and ride a 2005 Trek 5000 62cm.

In ~2000 miles the stock Bontrager rims are cracking at the spokes, but no other weight related issues noted. The stock rims were soft to begin with and recalled I believe, but they didn't disintegrate. I don't see any issue with your size or weight to hold you back.

Even on my ~21.5 lb / ~9.75kg bike, I can keep up well in the flats; anyone behind me loves to draft, I'm a huge wind block.
Old 08-10-21, 01:17 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Nick on a bike, Earlier I tried to sell the used bike approach but upon rereading your posts I realized you are open to modifications to your LHT. I have found that one of the easiest ways to speed up a bike is to mount a good quality low spoke count aero wheel set. At your weight you have to be careful when checking the specifications for wheels. Your LHT may have rim brakes so be aware that good carbon aero wheel sets can be had that have rim brake tracks. I see all kinds of aero 700c wheel sets for sale on our local Craigslist for cheaper than new. I'm 6'5" at 265lbs and ride a early 80's Nishiki Sebring with a 69cm seatpost tube CtoC. I bought this bike for $35(Craigslist) and got rid of the 27"wheels and worn out hubs, changed the crank to a 180mm Raceface MTB triple, aluminum seatpost and straight bars. I'm not a fan of drop bars. The wheel set is a Vuelta 700c SL37 aero set. This bike cost way less than a thousand dollars, is my fastest bike by 2-4mph average speed and fits me the best of all the bikes I've had over the years. Because of our heights and weights it is hard to find really tall bikes that give us good cockpit room, and keep your feet, size 14 for me, out of the front wheel when turning. I also use 32mm Gatorskin tires and tubes.
Old 08-19-21, 01:11 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Looking for a Fast Bike

My bike is looking for a fast rider lol
Old 08-20-21, 07:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Any bike is a fast bike if you pedal it fast enough.