Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

third party Garmin handlebar mounts

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

third party Garmin handlebar mounts

Old 11-19-20, 08:56 AM
  #1  
mihlbach
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mihlbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 6,589
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
third party Garmin handlebar mounts

I have a new Garmin Edge 830. I have numerous bikes in regular rotation (commuter, gravel, mountain bike, road bike etc) and have no interest in paying full retail price for additional Garmin handlebar mounts.
I see there are several third party handlebar mounts on ebay that are compatible with my computer and much cheaper than the official Garmin mounts. Does anyone have experience with any of these cheaper mounts and whether or not the savings are worthwhile?
mihlbach is offline  
Old 11-19-20, 05:29 PM
  #2  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,629

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 295 Posts
Pretty much any cheap plastic out front, stem cap or stem bolt unit works. I like cheap especially in an out-front as if the unit takes a hit, I’d rather lose the $15 mount then the mounting bracket on the unit. I do use the tether Garmin provides.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 11-19-20, 07:54 PM
  #3  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 422

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 GX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 90 Posts
Agree with the tether. Since it comes with the 830 I use it religiously in case the mount decides to break on one of the many rough roads I ride. I figure why not, it only takes a few seconds to use, is pretty much invisible and could save me $400 if the 830 goes crashing to the tarmac at 40 mph.
August West is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 01:31 AM
  #4  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 388

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Agree with the tether. Since it comes with the 830 I use it religiously in case the mount decides to break on one of the many rough roads I ride. I figure why not, it only takes a few seconds to use, is pretty much invisible and could save me $400 if the 830 goes crashing to the tarmac at 40 mph.
That’s wild. In all the years riding everything from lumpy singletrack on gravel bikes to chunky DH trails in my mountain bikes I’ve never been worried about losing my Garmins.

They’ve been rock solid.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 06:19 AM
  #5  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,354

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 305 Times in 258 Posts
I occasionally do not put my Garmin 64 in the handlebar bracket quite right and it can fall out - user error. That GPS model is a general recreation GPS, not a cycling specific one. I have bought some cheap copies of the handlebar bracket from Asia, they do not hold it as well as the Garmin one and I use an elastic to keep it from sliding out of those. Part of my problem with putting the Garmin in the Garmin bracket is that the genuine Garmin brackets are so tight that it is hard to put it in, I have resorted to using sand paper or a file on the genuine brackets to loosen them up a bit.

I ALWAYS use a lanyard to keep the GPS attached to the handlebar so that it stays with the bike if it slides out of the bracket. That saves my GPS once or twice a year.

I can't speak for the mount the OP is interested in, but giving the price savings, I would certainly buy more asian copies of the bracket I use. But these days shipping from asia can take a month or two, so if you are in a hurry, that can be a bad plan. I have a GPS mount on six bikes and one on a solo canoe.

Buy one, they are cheap, if you do not like it then do not use it. But use a lanyard to make sure you do not lose it.
Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 07:00 AM
  #6  
fishboat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 893

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '06 Bianchi Volpe, '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 194 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
....I have bought some cheap copies of the handlebar bracket from Asia, they do not hold it as well as the Garmin one and I use an elastic to keep it from sliding out of those.

I ALWAYS use a lanyard to keep the GPS attached to the handlebar so that it stays with the bike if it slides out of the bracket. That saves my GPS once or twice a year.
I picked up a cheap bike mount for my Etrex 20 and the unit snapped into the mount so loose that it was useless. I heated the mount toward the lock end with a heat gun and bent it slightly. Hold the mount slightly bent while it cools..it works perfect now. ..and I always use a lanyard.
fishboat is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 08:26 AM
  #7  
mibike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I occasionally do not put my Garmin 64 in the handlebar bracket quite right and it can fall out - user error. That GPS model is a general recreation GPS, not a cycling specific one. I have bought some cheap copies of the handlebar bracket from Asia, they do not hold it as well as the Garmin one and I use an elastic to keep it from sliding out of those. Part of my problem with putting the Garmin in the Garmin bracket is that the genuine Garmin brackets are so tight that it is hard to put it in, I have resorted to using sand paper or a file on the genuine brackets to loosen them up a bit.

I ALWAYS use a lanyard to keep the GPS attached to the handlebar so that it stays with the bike if it slides out of the bracket. That saves my GPS once or twice a year.

I can't speak for the mount the OP is interested in, but giving the price savings, I would certainly buy more asian copies of the bracket I use. But these days shipping from asia can take a month or two, so if you are in a hurry, that can be a bad plan. I have a GPS mount on six bikes and one on a solo canoe.

Buy one, they are cheap, if you do not like it then do not use it. But use a lanyard to make sure you do not lose it.
Originally Posted by fishboat View Post
I picked up a cheap bike mount for my Etrex 20 and the unit snapped into the mount so loose that it was useless. I heated the mount toward the lock end with a heat gun and bent it slightly. Hold the mount slightly bent while it cools..it works perfect now. ..and I always use a lanyard.
I always use a lanyard after I had an Etrex 20 fly off when I hit a bump on a downhill at 50mph+ on my tandem. I have an Etrex 20 a GPSMAP64s and also Garman bike GPSs The mounts are totally different between the recreation units and bike units. I don't think the bike units would bounce out like the recreation units do.

How ever some if not all mounts for the bike units are designed to break to protect the GPS if it is hit. I use K-edge mounts on most of my bikes. The instructions that come with them explain that the plastic insert is designed to break and they sell replacement inserts. So there is always the chance that if the GPS gets bumped and the insert cracked it could finish breaking when you hit a bump. It only takes a second to use the lanyard so I figure it's better to be safe then sorry.
mibike is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 08:48 AM
  #8  
Iride01
Hits [ENTER] b4 thinking
 
Iride01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,904

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '91 Schwinn Paramount '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 704 Times in 531 Posts
If you want to try them, then do so. You'll never know until you do.

I fully agree with using the tether. My edge 500 didn't have a place for a tether. But it never fell out of my Garmin mounts for the more than ten years I owned it. I just got an Edge 530. Since it came with a tether I loop it around my bars every time I put my Edge 530 in the Garmin mounts. Never hurts to be extra safe for some things that you might consider a little costly to replace. I've seen the Garmin's and other devices skittering down the pavement as they fell off the bikes of others.
Iride01 is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 10:26 AM
  #9  
Tourist in MSN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,354

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 305 Times in 258 Posts
I mentioned above that I use an elastic to hold my Garmin 64 in my bracket, it is the black elastic wrapped around the antenae, and the lanyard is the black and yellow cord to the right of the GPS.



Fishboat, thanks for the suggestion to apply some heat, but the elastic serves that purpose. So, I'm good.

Sideview, you can see the bracket, held on with zip ties.

Tourist in MSN is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 11:17 AM
  #10  
August West
Senior Member
 
August West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 422

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One. Fuel EX 8 GX

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
I’ve never been worried about losing my Garmins.
I never was either until last year while on a descent the aftermarket adapter on my Cateye Volt 700 snapped in two while going over a cattle guard and dumped the light on the road at 35 mph.
August West is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 12:22 PM
  #11  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 388

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by August West View Post
I never was either until last year while on a descent the aftermarket adapter on my Cateye Volt 700 snapped in two while going over a cattle guard and dumped the light on the road at 35 mph.
Apples and oranges.
HD3andMe is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 12:29 PM
  #12  
fishboat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SE Wisconsin
Posts: 893

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(purchased new), '06 Bianchi Volpe, '88 GT Tequesta(purchased new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 194 Times in 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post

Fishboat, thanks for the suggestion to apply some heat, but the elastic serves that purpose. So, I'm good.

Sideview, you can see the bracket, held on with zip ties.

Yep, that's the same mount I have for my Etrex 20. I think it was $5..much more reasonable than the Garmin version. Fortunately I was able to "adjust it" into working.

Looks like you have it well in hand..figured you did. I know the deal with having a number of bikes. I don't need one mount..I need 4-5...so $5 is looking pretty good.
fishboat is offline  
Old 11-20-20, 06:29 PM
  #13  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,629

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 295 Posts
Surprisingly, I see on occasion a post on our mt. bike club FB page that somebody had their Garmin come off the bar somewhere on the trail. Dunno, I’d spend the rest of the entire day looking. We always recommend the tether.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 11-21-20, 01:37 PM
  #14  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 477 Posts
People lose their garmins all the time. Any wahoo users reading this for schadenfreude should probably use their tether, I have seen a couple of reports that the ears on the unit itself broke.

I like the o-ring mounts. 2 for $13, and they work fine.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 11-22-20, 03:10 AM
  #15  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 388

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
People lose their garmins all the time. Any wahoo users reading this for schadenfreude should probably use their tether, I have seen a couple of reports that the ears on the unit itself broke.

I like the o-ring mounts. 2 for $13, and they work fine.
Years and years of this stuff. Never lost a Garmin, nor have any of the dozens of folks that I’ve ridden with during that time.

Are we just lucky, or are some after market mounts just better than others?


HD3andMe is offline  
Old 11-22-20, 06:57 AM
  #16  
Steve B.
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South shore, L.I., NY
Posts: 4,629

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
Years and years of this stuff. Never lost a Garmin, nor have any of the dozens of folks that I’ve ridden with during that time.

Are we just lucky, or are some after market mounts just better than others?

https://youtu.be/1L02TL4iaPk
When I see a post as to somebody losing their Garmin they rarely list the details as to how - crash ?, crappy mount ?, don't know, the device just got itself lost. As it's a mt. bike FB page where I see these posts, I assume a crash. Thus mention the lanyard, which folks forget to use, I did for all the years I had a 1000.
Steve B. is offline  
Old 11-22-20, 08:11 AM
  #17  
Dino_Sore
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe View Post
That’s wild. In all the years riding everything from lumpy singletrack on gravel bikes to chunky DH trails in my mountain bikes I’ve never been worried about losing my Garmins.

They’ve been rock solid.
That was my experience for many years of mountain, road and gravel riding...until my Garmin 520 mysteriously disappeared on a ride over relatively mild terrain. I now use the tether.
Dino_Sore is offline  
Old 11-22-20, 10:43 AM
  #18  
HD3andMe
You need a Trail Chicken™
 
HD3andMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 388

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO ||| Ibis HD3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Dino_Sore View Post
That was my experience for many years of mountain, road and gravel riding...until my Garmin 520 mysteriously disappeared on a ride over relatively mild terrain. I now use the tether.
Yeah, my sample size is much bigger than one rider, hence my question.
HD3andMe is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.