Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to not get dropped in the rolling hills

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to not get dropped in the rolling hills

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 01:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
HIIT. Sprints. That's what worked for me. I had decent base fitness for long steady rides, but couldn't sprint worth a darn. Now I'm semi-okay for an old guy.

Our group rides are on roller coaster terrain and I always got gapped on the many short, steep hillettes because everyone loafed on flats, coasted on downhills, then hammered on every climb. The only people who ever pedaled steadily were the folks riding fixed.

But our climbs are short, maybe 50-400 yards long at most, anywhere from 3%-12%. So I worked on sprints of 30-60 seconds, mostly on a nearby loop with false flats, and a series of short steep rollers that are the worst of the worst examples of the entire terrain in north central Texas.

Took awhile to feel any difference. I didn't get significantly faster. But I did recover faster, so I was ready for those tricky bits with three or more short, steep hillettes in a row over a half-mile to mile distance.

And I quit coasting or loafing on downhills. I'd push ahead of the group so I could catch the tail end as they passed on the climbs. That would drive more disciplined groups crazy and probably get me uninvited, but some of our local groups are total anarchy, free for all impromptu crits, everybody trying to drop everybody else, so the only way to keep up is to use the same tactics. I'd still get gapped because I won't blast through red lights, while some of them do. But that's a whole nuther can of worms.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 11-11-20, 05:28 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Are you saying that finding any means to improve aerodynamics is useless in rolling hills?
I'm saying this has nothing to do with the issue discussed in the OP.
Old 11-11-20, 05:34 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I hate rolling hills like that, and they hate me.
It's power that matters, but if you're going anaerobic too many times you'll blow up. If your FTP is 360W, a 2 hour race could be done at an average of 340W (-5% for every double of time.) ?
95% for two hours, 90% for four hours? That's insane.

I seriously question either of those. The endurance aspect, the fueling aspect, the specificity... not that some extreme masochist couldn't specifically train go accomplish that, but there's no way on Earth that's even remotely typical.

I once did 3 hours at ~89% and it broke me for a week plus, and I spent about two months building up to that.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-11-20, 05:39 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by aclinjury
if I were you, I'd concentrate on my 1-min power at say 125%, because honestly nobody is gonna attack for more than 1 minute in a group ride. So train yourself 1min power, this is for the trainer.
1 min at 125% is nothing. That's the intensity for 3-5 minutes for a punchy cat 1-2. For what it's worth, my 3-4 minute vo2 workouts repeats mid season are at ~128%. One minute type efforts are typically done at ~200% ftp, with full-gas one minute efforts on group rides eclipsing that.

9.5-10 w/kg are what the good, punchy cat 1s do around here (many places). For the OP that'd be close to 800w. Definitely something trainable, but as has been mentioned multiple times, race craft (positioning, time spent in the wind, etc) is even more important, and if it's later in the ride, race craft coupled with fatigue resistance is what matters most.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-11-20, 06:50 AM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting that no-one has mentioned zone 2 training to build your lactate threshold. Google Inigo San Millan. All kinds of interviews worth listening to.
Likes For denvertrout:
Old 11-11-20, 07:00 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by denvertrout
Interesting that no-one has mentioned zone 2 training to build your lactate threshold. Google Inigo San Millan. All kinds of interviews worth listening to.
Because zone two training lets you do lots of zone 2 training. If you're not doing 10-15+ hours a week (or even more if you've been riding a while), then the stimulus isn't going to be enough to build much higher-end fitness. Fitness comes from adapting to stimulus.

If you want to increase threshold, you have to ride at threshold.

With other life responsibilities, riding around at z2 all the time is a total waste of time from a performance standpoint.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-11-20, 07:30 AM
denvertrout

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If the original posters FTP is truly 360, threshold is not the issue. Building the lactate clearance may be a key part in his success on the rides that he enjoys. Inigo San Millan, coach to Tadej Pogacar certainly is an expert on Lactate clearance, and he clearly states it is key to success.

Just another opinion for the OP to look into.
Old 11-11-20, 07:50 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
If the original posters FTP is truly 360, threshold is not the issue. Building the lactate clearance may be a key part in his success on the rides that he enjoys. Inigo San Millan, coach to Tadej Pogacar certainly is an expert on Lactate clearance, and he clearly states it is key to success.

Pogacar is training for stage races. He's probably doing anywhere from 20 hours to upward of 30 hours per week. When you're doing this much volume, then most of it is in z2. For people with less than 12hrs/wk, you're gonna have to put a lot of that time in higher intensity zones.
Old 11-11-20, 08:01 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by cubewheels
I guess you're right. You should have told that earlier, would have saved back and forth replies!
I did. Quite succinctly. So did Dean V.

All you had to do was read the OP.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 11-11-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-11-20, 08:03 AM
rubiksoval

Definitely an opinion for the OP to look into when he starts preparing for grand tours at the world tour level.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 11-11-20, 08:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
My secret for not getting dropped on rolling hills? I ride solo. One hundred percent effective.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 11-11-20, 08:23 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
1 min at 125% is nothing. That's the intensity for 3-5 minutes for a punchy cat 1-2. For what it's worth, my 3-4 minute vo2 workouts repeats mid season are at ~128%. One minute type efforts are typically done at ~200% ftp, with full-gas one minute efforts on group rides eclipsing that.

9.5-10 w/kg are what the good, punchy cat 1s do around here (many places). For the OP that'd be close to 800w. Definitely something trainable, but as has been mentioned multiple times, race craft (positioning, time spent in the wind, etc) is even more important, and if it's later in the ride, race craft coupled with fatigue resistance is what matters most.
you're right, i was being too conservative. My own 1min seated efforts on the trainer with legs with some fatigue is close to 200% too. My out of the saddle repeated attacks during practice is usually in the 10-13s duration and in the range of 13-14 w/kg, and i'm not even close to a cat1 (here in Socal). But on long climbs I can hang with the cat1 "big" guys no problem, but cat1 climber guys they'll drop me easily; hard to keep up with someone doing close to 5 w/kg for 4-5 miles @ 5% gradient, for interval repeats.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 11-11-20, 09:20 AM
denvertrout

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely an opinion for the OP to look into when he starts preparing for grand tours at the world tour level.
Haha, or the OP can research what the best do and try something different from what he may be doing currently. Inigo, 25 years training and researching elite and world tour riders. I know he knows more than me.

https://peterattiamd.com/inigosanmillan/

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/z...ance-athletes/
Likes For denvertrout:
Old 11-11-20, 10:07 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I meant that's a fall-back position for those of use who for one reason or another, can't manage longer weekday rides. Holding steady at 75% for most of an hour is surprisingly effective in terms of aerobic adaptation. On outdoor rides there's that constant power variation. There's a "flat" road near me where my power goes up and down ~15% from my target if I hold the cadence constant, just from those tiny undulations.

My guess is that you have been a competitive rower and thus competing in under 7 minute events. That gave you a huge anaerobic engine for which you probably had a genetic propensity. As others have said, now you need to build an aerobic engine to match. I'm in sort of the same boat as it were, as I've been doing hilly rides with better climbers than I for 25 years. I used to be able to outsprint all of them. It's time for me to take a step back and build up a stronger aerobic engine this fall and winter. So that's all I've been doing: 75% FTP on my rollers and outdoors, in and out of saddle. The high end comes back quickly for me, the low end is a long slog, not as much fun. Posters here diagnosed my problem, whether they realized it or not.
Yes, I was mostly rowing on a coxless pair, for about 6 years. Sometimes I would row on an 8+ which is a much faster pace. For most of the 2k race you utilize aerobic/threshold kind of power and final 300-400m you get into the red zone. Even in my rowing days I lacked that explosive power. I am thinking about giving rollers a try tho idea scares me a little bit.

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I hate rolling hills like that, and they hate me.
It's power that matters, but if you're going anaerobic too many times you'll blow up. If your FTP is 360W, a 2 hour race could be done at an average of 340W (-5% for every double of time.) On the flat part take short pulls and conserve your power as much as possible. Try not to needlessly exceed your FTP too many times. Make the bigger guys do the work and tuck in behind them. Your already at a disadvantage against bigger guys with with same FTP.

Try to carry as much momentum downhill as possible and just before you hit the saddle point shift to a small gear and spin like crazy. Don't wait to shift and don't not pedal downhill hill to the saddle point, you'll loose too much momentum. It's better to shift early and spin at 110rpm or higher until you hit the grade. Try to spin up at high cadence and keep your butt in the saddle.

A 0.5mile 7% grade should take around 3 minutes at 340W, so hill intervals spinning at this power in the saddle would be good drills to get your brain used to the idea.
Who ever said it was all downhill after 40y?
This is good stuff Bill and certainly will try these next time.

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Maybe, but he posted it in response to the guy who challenged his stated FTP. So I was confused about it. I don't really think that the OPs FTP is main issue here- but rather a discussion about how he can hang with some very strong riders in lumpy terrain.
My FTP now could be lower but as you said (and I agree) generally power is not the issue.
Old 11-11-20, 10:27 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Did I do it right? I will print this and put it on my basement door so I see it every time I get out for a ride.

By the way thanks to everyone for the AMAZING amount of response. I have a long to-do list and will share the results as the season progresses.
Old 11-11-20, 10:29 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'll have results from my AeT work maybe in February. It's a slow process..
Old 11-11-20, 10:34 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
The mistake I see triguys \ TT'rs make is that they spend all day at the same effort. Intervals, over and under, recover makes you faster.
Old 11-11-20, 10:42 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by popeye
The mistake I see triguys \ TT'rs make is that they spend all day at the same effort. Intervals, over and under, recover makes you faster.
It is not really a mistake. For the type of event they are training for, that is where their focus needs to be. Those events require a steady output, which is different than the needs of a criterium racer, as an extreme example.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 11-11-20, 10:56 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
<snip> I am thinking about giving rollers a try tho idea scares me a little bit.<snip>
If you do that, get a set of rollers with resistance. Plain rollers, even small drum rollers, are really only good for recovery. Get used to them by riding in a doorway. After a couple months, graduate to doing it next to a wall or post. I think I've come off 4 times in 20+ years. Worst injury has been a pedal cut on my ankle. That said, my rollers are set up where there's nothing to the left of me that could hurt me. Some people set up next to a bed. Two 24" box fans are mandatory.
Old 11-11-20, 11:21 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
It is not really a mistake. For the type of event they are training for, that is where their focus needs to be. Those events require a steady output, which is different than the needs of a criterium racer, as an extreme example.
True but they will not get stronger. You need to challenge your body to make gains.
Old 11-11-20, 11:59 AM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by popeye
True but they will not get stronger. You need to challenge your body to make gains.
for tri guys, "stronger" is probably secondary to steady-state tempo at pace that they can recover/fuel for the up-coming run. These guys win or lose in the run, not on the bike. 4-5 hrs in zone 3 on the bike is their game.
Old 11-11-20, 12:24 PM
aclinjury

Originally Posted by rower2cyclist
Did I do it right? I will print this and put it on my basement door so I see it every time I get out for a ride.

By the way thanks to everyone for the AMAZING amount of response. I have a long to-do list and will share the results as the season progresses.
Haha that's half the battle right there! LOL but seriously being 6'4", guys are looking to tuck behind you and tee you up

when Cavendish was young, many sport directors said his VO2max was too low for world Tour, he was a joke. Many brushed him off. But then he became one of the most prolific flat-stage winners of all time. So VO2 and FTP ain't be all end all factors; yes FTP is important for steady-state TT, but for a rolling punchy group ride, you already have adequate FTP. Now what you need is 1) racecraft smart, and 2) short burst power.

But I also think you're a natural slow-twitcher too, so you will be limited by genetics, but hey, don't we all.
Old 11-11-20, 12:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury
for tri guys, "stronger" is probably secondary to steady-state tempo at pace that they can recover/fuel for the up-coming run. These guys win or lose in the run, not on the bike. 4-5 hrs in zone 3 on the bike is their game.
Some win or lose in the run. Others on the bike. And, probably, a few in the swim.
Old 11-11-20, 12:59 PM
rubiksoval

Haha, or the OP can research what the best do and try something different from what he may be doing currently. Inigo, 25 years training and researching elite and world tour riders. I know he knows more than me.
I think you're missing the disconnect between elite and world tour riders and time-crunched amateur parents working full-time jobs...
Old 11-11-20, 01:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,283 Times in 2,941 Posts
I think you're missing the disconnect between elite and world tour riders and time-crunched amateur parents working full-time jobs...
All parents are time-crunched, and most are amateurs. Some also ride bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.