Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Would I benefit from a professional fitting?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 08:53 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts

I bought my current bike (Specialized Diverge) from a LBS that advertised a free fitting with a new bike purchase (up to $175 value!), but I never did get the fitting. Before going on a short test ride they adjusted the saddle height, but that's it, and then said I should ride it for a month and if I thought it needed any adjustments, bring it in. It seemed perfectly comfortable to me and I couldn't imagine what adjustments would make it ride better. I've now had the bike 15 months and it still seems comfortable. I can't imagine what adjustments might make it fit me better. I ride 15-20 miles almost every day, and occasional longer rides (longest ride: 104 miles) and the bike is set up exactly as it was on the showroom floor, with the only adjustment being the saddle height which was done before my test ride. I've read about the benefits of getting a bike professionally fitted, but given my experience I can't imagine that it would be beneficial because the bike seems to fit me so well now. Am I just lucky that the bike seems to fit as it was set up for display? Am I missing something that could make the bike even better? I confess to being a relative novice (only been riding three years total) and not that knowledgeable about bikes even though I ride every day. Would a professional fitting benefit me?
Old 11-16-20, 08:12 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
What do you mean by seemed comfortable?

Generally speaking, if you have the saddle set so that your knees almost fully extend at the bottom of the pedal stroke, yet the handlebars are at the same height or above your saddle, should be a good fitting frame a long as you don't feel like you are too stretched out over the bike.

If you are, I'd recommend fitting a shorter stem. You can also angle your drop bars up slightly and add some spacers underneath the stem, if your steerer tube is long enough. You can also consider converting to flat bars. That's what I did with my vintage road bike, and I'm extremely comfortable on the bike.
Old 11-16-20, 11:45 AM
Random11

Originally Posted by Moisture
What do you mean by seemed comfortable?
I mean no sore butt, no numbness in my hands, no aches and pains from riding, no injuries, and at the end of my typical 15-20 mile ride I feel like I could keep riding forever. I do know that's not true, however. At the end of my 104 mile ride, I was ready to call it a day. But I felt fine and the next day rode 15 miles. No pain. No soreness, no issues whatsoever. It just feels good to ride the bik

I've read on Bike Forums many posts that have said adjustments of just a few millimeters can make a big difference, and that's scared me from even wanting to experiment with my fit. What if I adjust something and it doesn't feel as good, and I can't quite get it back where it was? But it does seem improbable that my bike could be the perfect fit with no adjustment (besides saddle height) if small adjustments in fit are really that important.

Last edited by Random11; 11-16-20 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-16-20, 12:07 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If you don't think you are missing something then don't dwell on it.

Depending on what shape your body was in when you started riding and how it changes from hopefully getting more fit (health wise) then your perceptions of what does and doesn't bother you might change over time.

As you get into longer and longer times for each ride, you might find something that starts to bother you. Or if you watch your performance numbers and think that maybe you aren't getting the most out of your current fit. Might simply be a desire to get more aero comfortably, or maybe you can get your body in a better position to put more power into the cranks.

But as long as you are comfortable doing what you do, then a pro bike fit might leave you wondering what it did for you. You really need to know in your head what you are wanting out of a fit when you go for one. Power? Comfort? Something else?
Old 11-16-20, 01:02 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
If you are comfortable, don't touch anything. Some of us spend years getting to that point. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Likes For Ferrouscious:
Old 11-16-20, 01:17 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you don't think you are missing something then don't dwell on it. ...But as long as you are comfortable doing what you do, then a pro bike fit might leave you wondering what it did for you...
That's what I was thinking. I'm pretty much a novice (been riding three years) and not that knowledgeable, so I appreciate your comment.
Old 11-16-20, 01:20 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
If you are comfortable, don't touch anything. Some of us spend years getting to that point. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I was thinking the same, and looking for other opinions because I've read so much (on these forums) about the importance of a pro fit. As I said in my original post, I'm really afraid to change anything for fear I'll mess up what appears to be a good fit.
Old 11-16-20, 02:07 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
I mean no sore butt, no numbness in my hands, no aches and pains from riding, no injuries, and at the end of my typical 15-20 mile ride I feel like I could keep riding forever. I do know that's not true, however. At the end of my 104 mile ride, I was ready to call it a day. But I felt fine and the n soext day rode 15 miles. No pain. No soreness, no issues whatsoever. It just feels good to ride the bike.

I've read on Bike Forums many posts that have said adjustments of just a few millimeters can make a big difference, and that's scared me from even wanting to experiment with my fit. What if I adjust something and it doesn't feel as good, and I can't quite get it back where it was? But it does seem improbable that my bike could be the perfect fit with no adjustment (besides saddle height) if small adjustments in fit are really that important.
No, a few millimeters would probably become mooth in the light of other geometry variations due to being a different bike.

Post a pic of your bike. How high is the saddle compared to.the bars?
Old 11-16-20, 02:29 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Talk to your LBS and let them know...see if they will give you a rain check on the fitting since it was part of the purchase price and nothing comprehensive was done. Sounds like it is a good fit based on your comments. As you ride more, you may find that you become more flexible and you may want to make slight adjustments to your cockpit. On the other hand, as you become more experienced you may find that you have gained the knowledge to make your own adjustments.
Old 11-17-20, 06:26 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Generally speaking, if you have the saddle set so that your knees almost fully extend at the bottom of the pedal stroke, yet the handlebars are at the same height or above your saddle, should be a good fitting frame a long as you don't feel like you are too stretched out over the bike.
The only ways my 'bars can be at or above seat height is 1) for my seat to be too low or 2) my frame too big or 3) for me to use a stem like a Technomic. That's my experience, not theory., though I think me experience aligns with theory. My legs are a little shorter, or my torso a little taller, than many people my height.

My bet is that one's ideal fit changes with miles ridden. I also believe people get more comfortable over time with a specific setup. Since you've ridden a lot of miles since you first got the bike, I think there's a good argument for getting a check on the fit. OTOH, since you say you're comfortable, it might be a waste of time.

Over all, though, since people are predisposed to train themselves to make do, you may find yourself even more comfortable after a bike fit - and find yourself riding farther and faster, too, which may be better for your health. JMO, of course.
Old 11-18-20, 08:31 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by philbob57
My bet is that one's ideal fit changes with miles ridden. I also believe people get more comfortable over time with a specific setup. ...
Over all, though, since people are predisposed to train themselves to make do, you may find yourself even more comfortable after a bike fit ..
This is plausible. I don't think I'm making do. But I may have adjusted my riding to the geometry of the bike rather than the other way around. I don't feel like I'd benefit from a fitting, but it's factors like those you mentioned that got me to thinking about it.
Old 11-28-20, 12:08 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Random11 : Most people can get by with a "bad" fitting bike when max. ride distances are in the 15-20 milw range. When you get into century rides a bad fitting bike will become very apparent. As you are comfortable on longer rides my guess is that your fit is pretty good as-is. That being said, a professional fit would still be an excellent idea!

With a professional fit you'll get your current geometry numbers, which is always a good thing to have. And if the fitter thinks that some aspects of your fit need to change, you'll get your new geometry numbers. A good fitter will also show you where you were and where your new position is in relation to the old position. She or he will also clearly explain why they have changed your position and why it's "better" than where you were.

Keep in mind that even the best of fits is not static. Where you are now, in terms of your ideal geometry, is not where you will be (or should be) a few years down the line. Our bodies change as we get older. We get stronger, weaker, more flexible, less flexible. As a result, our fit will also change over time.

Lastly, choose your professional fitter very carefully. Nobody intentionally chooses a "bad" fitter, but they are quite common. I'd stay away from any proprietary fit system (especially Trek). Proprietary fit systems by definition have inherrent biases that are more designed to sell you brand-specific merchandise. In other words, proprietary systems are just another tool for folks to sell you stuff they already want to sell to you. When looking for fitters in your area I'd only look at those who are totally independent and are only looking to sell their services.
Old 11-30-20, 09:30 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Cycletography
...Keep in mind that even the best of fits is not static. Where you are now, in terms of your ideal geometry, is not where you will be (or should be) a few years down the line. Our bodies change as we get older. We get stronger, weaker, more flexible, less flexible. As a result, our fit will also change over time...
Thanks! Just the kind of answer I was looking for. (Why should I get a fitting when the bike already seems to fit so well?) I doubt I'll get a professional fitting for my current bike, but some good things to think about should I get another. (I only have one bike.) I don't do much riding more than 15-20 miles because it takes too much time, but I did visit my cycling son over Thanksgiving and we rode 41 miles on gravel one day. I rode 35 miles each of the next two days and then we rode 48 miles on pavement. It's unusual for me to ride that many miles, but the bike felt great on all those rides. Takes away any motivation to look for changes to make in the fit. As far as changes over time, I've only been riding three years, so maybe as I gain experience I'd benefit from some changes.