Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

why drop stand so rare?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

why drop stand so rare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-20, 10:08 PM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
why drop stand so rare?

In China there are lots of drop stand on single speed bikes. i also ocassionally see old deraileur bikes with drop stand. I am trying to find a drop stand that will work with a cheap 6 speed derailler bike. but LBS say new bikes dont come with those drop stand no more.

i have a single speed city bike with dropstand. it is super stable. especially when u have a bigbasket hauling things. yeah they r heavy, not good for endurance touring...but great for city bikes. They are attached to axle...there super strong.

they look like great product. i scoured China online sources but cannot find anyone making/selling them.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 11-20-20 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-21-20, 12:41 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Why carry a stand on the bike, when the world is already covered in stands?

Old 11-21-20, 02:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
mtb_addict have you considered a twin leg, center mount stand like the Pletscher?

https://johnnyisaak.com/tweaking-div...ger-kickstand/
Old 11-21-20, 06:00 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
The Pletcher is also known as the ESGE.
Old 11-21-20, 09:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
A big heavy clunky kickstand that is heavier and clunkier than anything else and looks like it is great for Walmart quality and below doesn't really appeal to anyone but maybe you? Get a double leg center mount stand or buy a dedicated cargo bike if you are loading it down and you will get plenty of great kickstands sorta like that but way better quality and even more sturdy and durable.

I enjoy single speeds because they are lightweight adding a crap ton of weight doesn't make sense. When I am locking up a bike I want to get closer to the thing I am locking to and also don't need a stand at that point. If I am loading down my single speed with enough weight I need a kickstand like that, I am clearly doing something wrong in my life.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-21-20, 10:18 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A big heavy clunky kickstand that is heavier and clunkier than anything else and looks like it is great for Walmart quality and below doesn't really appeal to anyone but maybe you? .
Not true. When I was in the States, I had a Dutch-made commuter bike with a similar drop stand. I had several bike commuters come up to me asking about the stand...because it was so stable. They wanted to know where they can get one. I told them its hard to find and probably only works with single-speed. So, cyclists like commuters are desperately need better stands than what is available on the market.

I am sure someone with skill and resources can make a lighter version of the drop stand with aluminum or something.

By the way, such drop stands are still very popular in Japan. But they are losing popularity in China, and extinct in US.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 11-21-20 at 10:25 PM.
Likes For mtb_addict:
Old 11-21-20, 10:29 PM
mtb_addict

Originally Posted by chaadster
mtb_addict have you considered a twin leg, center mount stand like the Pletscher?

https://johnnyisaak.com/tweaking-div...ger-kickstand/
i only seen Pletcher few times. Looks like it is attched to the chainstay, which is weak link.
I think that is not good place to attch. Attach to axle is better. Axle is strongest part of bike.
Old 11-21-20, 11:05 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Axle?
https://omniumcargo.dk/shop/product/...d-new-classic/

I have the new one that is a stronger version of the Ursus Jumbo.

Not my bike, but I have one about the same
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-21-20, 11:06 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Just to add an explanation to the above post: It is attached to a thick double plate just behind the seat tube and in-between the backstays.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-21-20, 11:11 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Gotta be honest: Some people want certain accessories, and most people do NOT want this stuff attached to their bike. If you want it, fine. Let’s not think it’s odd that others have not made it a priority!
Old 11-22-20, 02:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
i only seen Pletcher few times. Looks like it is attched to the chainstay, which is weak link.
I think that is not good place to attch. Attach to axle is better. Axle is strongest part of bike.
Oh, I don’t think you have to worry about that! The Pletscher does attach to the chainstays, right behind the bottom bracket, which is a very robust area.

Regardless of where is strongest because it’s simply not a relevant use concern, IMO, I mentioned the twin leg stands because, unlike the drop stand, the twin leg stand is easily available and stabilizes the bike for cargo loading.
Old 11-22-20, 04:08 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
With the exception of frames that have a kickstand mount plate welded in place, the only frames that are appropriate for use with kickstands that clamp onto the chain stays behind the bottom bracket are high-tensile steel frames. Carbon and aluminum frames are especially vulnerable to damage from such a kickstand, but chro-moly frames are likely to be damaged as well.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-22-20, 08:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Trakhak
With the exception of frames that have a kickstand mount plate welded in place, the only frames that are appropriate for use with kickstands that clamp onto the chain stays behind the bottom bracket are high-tensile steel frames. Carbon and aluminum frames are especially vulnerable to damage from such a kickstand, but chro-moly frames are likely to be damaged as well.
Yes, I made the assumption that any bike being considered for a drop stand or double-leg and cargo hauling would be a robust steel frame, so the point is taken to not clamp lightweight carbon or aluminum bikes at the stays.

Clamping a kickstand to robust steel frames has been happening for a very long time, so the cases where Surly was pointing out people over-tightening and crushing the stays is just that outlier segment of ham-fisted morons who make good cautionary tales for the rest of us. Particularly when clamping a double-leg, less torque is needed because there is no rotational force on the stand like there is with a single leg. Additionally, Pletscher uses rubber U-brackets over the stays to manage compression and protect the stays.

Properly installed on a suitable steel or aluminum frame, a Pletscher double-leg should be a great alternative to an unobtainable drop stand.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 11-23-20, 02:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Not true. When I was in the States, I had a Dutch-made commuter bike with a similar drop stand. I had several bike commuters come up to me asking about the stand...because it was so stable. They wanted to know where they can get one. I told them its hard to find and probably only works with single-speed. So, cyclists like commuters are desperately need better stands than what is available on the market.

I am sure someone with skill and resources can make a lighter version of the drop stand with aluminum or something.

By the way, such drop stands are still very popular in Japan. But they are losing popularity in China, and extinct in US.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RLXnCu-KMdY
A lot of folks haven't seen a proper two leg kickstand. Most commuters don't need a stand like that as they are locking up the bike. Those with cargo bikes do of course but those are cargo bikes.

The Mamachari is an interesting Japanese cargo bike hence the need for a stable stand when loading kids. Any cargo or kid carrying bike could benefit from a good stable stand but there are plenty of excellent kickstands that will work and be a touch sleeker.
Old 11-23-20, 02:38 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I can't imagine a single moment when I would want a kickstand on my bike. I hang it from a hook on the ceiling for storage and if I am out and about, I gently lay it on the ground or lean it against a tree. otherwise, a kickstand is just heavy, annoying, bouncing clutter on my bike.
Old 11-23-20, 05:24 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Practical, utilitarian cycling has always been a niche in the US, and a subculture to some extent. I've lived with aftermarket kick stands, but there's always room for improvement. Axle mount would be OK on my single speed, but it's also supposed to be my lightweight speedy bike that doesn't have a lot of attachments. I actually removed the kickstand when the COVID started, because I no longer had anywhere to go but out on long recreational rides. The utility bike has an IGH and its axle isn't long enough to accommodate anything like that.

Making any kind of useful accessories is hard because of the proliferation of frame materials and shapes. Long gone is the time when every bike shop had a Wald basket that would fit on any bike that deserved one, and proper bikes came with a kickstand already welded on.

For those who are new to cycling, or live in regions where cycling is less popular, just keep your eye out and observe how people use their bikes. Especially for utilitarian riding, such as shopping and commuting, there is no one-size-fits-all solution, and folks will often adapt their bikes over time to fit their local riding conditions and living situation. These arrangements are hard to explain over a web forum, where adapting to prevailing conditions is seen as a sign of weakness. The most ironic thing about the kickstands on my bikes is where I get the best use of them: In my garage.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 11-24-20, 06:53 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
The drop kickstand picture in post #1 is mounted on the rear axle. It appears to be made from steel (heavy) and since it is attached to the rear axle it must be removed when taking the rear wheel off (for example for tire/tube repair). I find axle mounted kickstands are a bit of a pain when repairing a rear flat tire. I think a center mounted double leg kickstand is a more appropriate solution like the one from Pletscher as it is light-weight and out of the way (do not need to mess with it when removing the rear wheel) and since it has two legs it is more stable than a single leg kickstand and probably as stable as the axle mounted drop kickstand. See photo...

Old 11-24-20, 08:20 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
I can't imagine a single moment when I would want a kickstand on my bike. I hang it from a hook on the ceiling for storage and if I am out and about, I gently lay it on the ground or lean it against a tree. otherwise, a kickstand is just heavy, annoying, bouncing clutter on my bike.
I've knocked bikes over several times by not propping them up on stuff properly, or just want to park them without laying them down. So I've put a $10 single-leg kickstand on each bike and they've been great.

I can understand not wanting to pay for a heavy component you wouldn't use though.
Old 05-18-23, 09:26 AM
Placidrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people think what’s right for them has to be right for everyone. But there are different people with different needs.

Maybe someone rides mostly on deserted beaches or sand dunes and there is nothing to stand a bike against and and sand is too soft for a regular kickstand doesn’t need a lock. You wouldn’t like it if they said “carrying a lock for a single speed bike is just extra weight and would appeal to no one except maybe you”

Or maybe they can only afford Walmart bikes. Walmart bikes are excellent and maybe not as good as what you ride but 90% as good at a fraction of the price.

Or maybe they don’t mind extra weight because they’re biking for exercise and such strong riders they don’t care about a little extra weight. Many people bike to get exercise and less the weight less of a workout.

Lots of possibilities, lots of different needs. Which is great. A tip: if you think someone is doing something wrong, always take a step back and ask “under what circumstance would what they’re doing make sense?” It will open your heart and mind to lot of new possibilities.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
A big heavy clunky kickstand that is heavier and clunkier than anything else and looks like it is great for Walmart quality and below doesn't really appeal to anyone but maybe you? Get a double leg center mount stand or buy a dedicated cargo bike if you are loading it down and you will get plenty of great kickstands sorta like that but way better quality and even more sturdy and durable.

I enjoy single speeds because they are lightweight adding a crap ton of weight doesn't make sense. When I am locking up a bike I want to get closer to the thing I am locking to and also don't need a stand at that point. If I am loading down my single speed with enough weight I need a kickstand like that, I am clearly doing something wrong in my life.
Old 05-18-23, 09:59 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Placidrider
Some people think what’s right for them has to be right for everyone. But there are different people with different needs.

Maybe someone rides mostly on deserted beaches or sand dunes and there is nothing to stand a bike against and and sand is too soft for a regular kickstand doesn’t need a lock. You wouldn’t like it if they said “carrying a lock for a single speed bike is just extra weight and would appeal to no one except maybe you”

Or maybe they can only afford Walmart bikes. Walmart bikes are excellent and maybe not as good as what you ride but 90% as good at a fraction of the price.

Or maybe they don’t mind extra weight because they’re biking for exercise and such strong riders they don’t care about a little extra weight. Many people bike to get exercise and less the weight less of a workout.

Lots of possibilities, lots of different needs. Which is great. A tip: if you think someone is doing something wrong, always take a step back and ask “under what circumstance would what they’re doing make sense?” It will open your heart and mind to lot of new possibilities.
Hello, keep in mind this thread and my previous response is from 2020 which is three years ago to someone who was potentially a troll. Please keep that in mind when replying. Active threads are awesome and there are loads of them but threads that are years old are probably best left dormant unless you have something so radically important to that particular thread and could not but put in a new thread.

In terms of wally-mart bikes they are not even close to 90% as good as a bicycle, they are designed for failure because they are built with the lowest grade parts by the lowest grade labor. They are bicycle shaped but the quality is not there and wasn't designed to be there and while there are some people who are quite impoverished and maybe a bicycle just isn't the thing they need in their lives at that point as probably food, shelter and water will be more important. However with some simplifications a wally-mart bike could be barely decent but they don't want to do that, they prefer putting suspension on it and gears because it looks cool to some people. A heavy bike isn't a bad thing but a heavy bike because of really poor low quality parts is not great. However again this thread is 3 years old and hasn't been active since then and was started by someone who was involved with trolling.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-18-23, 02:03 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 827 Posts
Some people think what’s right for them has to be right for everyone.
I think 90% of BF posts replies can be placed in one of 3 categories:
1. I do it that way (or a similar way) too
2. You do it that way, but I do it this way
3. I do it this way, WHICH IS THE ONLY WAY, AND YOUR WAY IS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

I've found the "ignore" function to work well with frequent #3ers, and where others have quoted those persons, it seems to support that action.

(now looking that this post to see where to categorize it...)

As to the actual topic: the kickstand the OP favors would seem to only fit on a limited number of bicycles, typically those with nutted rear hubs, a specific dropout configuration (to accommodate anti-rotation features) and a specific outside rear dropout dimension. And I think most of these kickstands are installed at the factory for that make/model of bicycle. Unless speced on an OEM bike as noted, this type of kickstand could be a challenge to produce and sell for a wider variety of bicycles. The weight could also be a turn-off factor for some riders. Two-leg kickstands, as noted by other posters, might be a practical option for aftermarket installation where a standard kickstand is deemed insufficient. Disclosure: I have two-leg kickstands on two bikes (tandem and light cruiser) and kickstands on all but my lightest two bicycles (and occasionally I miss having them there, although my racer won't accept any kickstand at all).

Last edited by RCMoeur; 05-18-23 at 02:18 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-18-23, 04:07 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I hate any type of kick stands and would never put such a useless piece of scrap metal on my bike. There are plenty of object out in the world to lean your bike against or just lay it on the ground.
Old 05-18-23, 04:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts

Welcome to BF! I'll second the notion that you might want to start a new thread with your advice for forum members.

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-19-23 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-18-23, 05:05 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
A zombie troll thread?

Likes For datlas:
Old 05-18-23, 06:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
A zombie troll thread?

Or a troll zombie thread?

Or maybe a Walmart bike IS 90% as good as my Engin?
Likes For indyfabz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.