Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for Bike Recommendations

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-22-20, 06:56 PM
ImTheDecider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey guys,

I am looking for a new bike and was hoping you could help.

I have a Trek e-bike and a 2015 carbon frame Specialized Roubaix. I’m trying to downsize my life and would like to go from two bikes down to one. Unfortunately, neither of the bikes I have will do what I want. (I don’t think).

I’d like to find one bike that I can use for both exercise and, most importantly, fun and casual A to B riding around town. (Think: biking 10 miles for cardio, picking up donuts on Saturday morning, riding to my friends’ house a mile away, riding with my kids to the park, that sort of thing). My Roubaix is great, I’m not doing group rides anymore and riding less in general because I’ve picked up other sports. So now I’d like something that has more casual/upright geometry, the ability to mount fatter tires, and something with a more rugged/robust frame that I won’t be worried about locking up in a public rack. I’d also like something that can mount fenders, since we live in a wet climate and I ride a lot when it’s recently rained and the roads and alleys are soaked. I’d like to be able to ride to breakfast and not be covered with mud and road gunk when I arrive.

Since I’ll only have one bike, I’d prefer that it not be an e-bike even though I absolutely love them.

I’m thinking about just grabbing a top spec Sirius 6.0 ($2,500), but my reservations are: (1) flat bars, which I absolutely hate; and (2) I’m not sure that the frame is really all that much more upright than the Roubaix. But I’m thinking I can just build one w/ drop bars. I’m also looking at the similar Trek F Sport 6.

Is this a good idea, or are there better options around? Money is no object—within reason, anyway: I don’t want to buy a titanium frame, for example. And I don’t care if the frame is carbon versus aluminum or steel. I do want it to have high end components, drop bars, relatively upright riding position, and the ability to mount commuter-type equipment like fenders, and a front rack.

Oh: and an absolute requirement is that it has to look cool. That’s why I’m more sweet on the Sirrus 6.0 than some of the other stuff I’ve seen. I’m a sucker for rainbow text, and it looks especially good w/ matte black. (Or titanium, as with the Moots bikes).

My first decent bike was a lower-end Sirrus. Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Road it a lot. Never regretted moving to the Roubaix because I was doing a lot of group rides, but now I just don’t need that true road bike frame and want something more comfortable and knock-around.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!
Old 11-22-20, 07:28 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
The Sirrus is a nice bike and would do exactly what you want...outside of the flat bars. Have you thought about the Trek CheckPoint? That is a nice bike with drop bars and very versatile. You can install racks and\or fenders, road\gravel, its a sweet ride.

Old 11-22-20, 07:40 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 1,026 Posts
You probably shouldn’t be mounting racks on carbon fiber, FYI. You probably won’t find anything CF with rack mounts anyway, but you don’t want to try to make it work. Stick to steel and aluminum.

EDIT: Oh, the Checkpoint is CF w/ rack mounts! I guess I’m behind the times!
Old 11-22-20, 07:58 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Kona Rove LTD: https://konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm

Something that looks cool: Double Cross in purple: https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...ble-cross-disc
I have a previous version, sky silver, and I like it. You can build it with the handlebar height that you like. The only downside is that it is not thru axle.
Old 11-22-20, 08:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You probably shouldn’t be mounting racks on carbon fiber, FYI. You probably won’t find anything CF with rack mounts anyway, but you don’t want to try to make it work. Stick to steel and aluminum.

EDIT: Oh, the Checkpoint is CF w/ rack mounts! I guess I’m behind the times!
I did not know they had them either until I saw them one day when I was looking at the Domane. The Domane has mounting points for fenders and the CheckPoint is based on the Domane.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 11-22-20 at 08:06 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 11-22-20, 08:17 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
All-City makes nice bikes. Check those out. Great quality and fantastic designs.
Old 11-22-20, 08:18 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I’ve sorta been thinking along the same lines it following the N+1rule. Adding to the stables. I’d like to add a Checkpoint or a Warroad. Add racks and fenders. Or quick release fenders. The two sets of wheel. A second all road set. Then when I retire in a few years it would be for running to the store and rail trail trips.

But before I get the do all bike I NEED a full suspension mountain bike.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 11-23-20 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-22-20, 08:35 PM
ImTheDecider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
All-City makes nice bikes. Check those out. Great quality and fantastic designs.
Those are nice, and I like the look. But they’re a little hipper than the vibe I’m going for.
Old 11-22-20, 08:38 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by ImTheDecider
Those are nice, and I like the look. But they’re a little hipper than the vibe I’m going for.
You should seem them in person. I see them in Manhattan virtually every day. Stylish would be one way to describe them 🤣
Old 11-23-20, 07:01 AM
ImTheDecider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I’ve sorta been thinking along the same lines it following the N+1rule. Adding to the stables. I’d like to add a Checkpoint or a Warroad. Add racks and fenders. Or quick release fenders. The two sets of wheel. A second all road set. Then when I retire in a few years it would be for running to the store and rail trail trips.

But before the do all bike I NEED a full suspension mountain bike.
Yea it seems like a lot of people are using gravel bikes for the purpose I have in mind from reading these posts.