Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Trike Delight

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Trike Delight

Old 11-13-11, 09:48 AM
JDenman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trike Delight

Over the years I've noticed people tend to fall in one of two vehicle choice catagories:

2 Wheelers
4 Wheelers

For example, some people like sports bikes, some like sports cars.
Some people prefer Motocross bikes, some prefer ATV's.

Myself being the latter chose a trike. And I couldn't have been more delighted.

If limited to a bike, I doubt I would have paid anything over $500 at the local bikeshop. Yet after taking a few trikes for a ride, I felt pleased to drop over $3000; and no doubt a few more coins along the way.

My wife now feels she would prefer a trike...Soon another $3000 invested.....

I really wonder if the bike shops realize the potential market they're missing out of here....
Old 11-13-11, 10:46 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
The market has a lot of room to grow too. But one of several things holding them back is price. You mentioned 3K for a trike. Some folks, particular the more casual cyclist who tends to be the main part of the trike market, just won't spend 2K or more on a bike/trike. I am not sure the novelty, etc. of a trike allows most people to expand their budget as dramatically as you have suggested it expanded yours.

'Bents, in general, are higher priced than uprights, and trikes are on average even more money than 2-wheeled 'bents. However we're starting to see some action here. Performer makes some awesome trikes (and bikes) at a couple very reasonable price points. Terratrike has done well with thier Rover and Rambler, Path and Cruiser. KMX has some fairly nice, affordabl machines too. Trident is another name in value trikes.

I hope these brands continue to have traction, as moderate prices are key for expansion in popularity of trikes, particular in this economic climate.

Last edited by Steamer; 11-13-11 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-15-11, 01:52 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I hope that you enjoy your trike as much as my wife enjoys hers. She has a Performer FX trike and she is in love with it. She rides it every chance she gets and enjoys every minute of it. When she lets me, I try and get some miles on it as well, but that doesn't happen too often.

I think that one of the reasons that most LBS don't carry trikes (the two I use tell me the same thing) is that in order to sell them, they need to have a decent inventory to show and they take up too much room on the floor where other bikes could be displayed. The higher end bikes have to be hung from a rack where they can't really be seen or their stock has to be decreased. My wife bought her trike from a shop that sells only recumbents and stocks mostly trikes.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-16-11, 08:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
A person doesnt have to drop $3000 for a trike. A month ago I bought a Terratrike Cruiser for the listed price of $1499. A trade in mountain bike paid for the 26" rear wheel up grade. One good reason to by a Terratrike is the fact that the seat is adjustable for and aft, and for recline also. I have about 300 miles on it and understand the popular reason that trikes are selling well. My LBS owner says this year is the best year yet for trikes. After riding this one, I can see that a trike affords the most relaxed biking there is. Of course there is no balance problems, and the big thing is you can just stop and sit without uncliping and start up again with no wobble. Or you can just stop and observe anything you want. Stopping on a steep hill is no problem at all.
Old 11-16-11, 04:25 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy my trike...I too paid a little more than I really wanted to pay but it waas the one they had in the showroom. Now that I have been riding it a while I do not even remember the price.
continue to enjoy
Old 11-16-11, 04:43 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I too am a newby to the bent world, a convert from wedgies. Having a hard time staying off the thing, a lwb Tour Easy. That's what I do. Tour.

I checked out trikes, but in the end, decided I preferred the higher profile and narrow footprint. I'm sure a trike will come later. They got their own set of pluses.
Old 11-16-11, 07:46 PM
PaPa

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
One good reason to by a Terratrike is the fact that the seat is adjustable for and aft,..
Fore & aft adjustable seats are typically offered in an attempt to appease multiple-sized riders on the same frame - but they come with their own array of problems. The biggest, is the potential to alter the CoM (center of mass) outside a safe position. It also complicates the seat mount and adds weight. This is why prudent manufactures' opt for adjustable booms only.
Old 11-17-11, 08:44 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Adjustable booms are fine except in my case I need to share the trike with my wife. The adjustable seat allows us both to ride the trike by just moving the seat. I really dont think moving the seat 3 or 4 inches is going to upset the CG and handling that much. One other thing to concider is if you ever want to sell a trike with an adjustable seat, it allows for a much wider market.
Old 11-20-11, 11:13 AM
JDenman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ran a 37 mile rally with 18MPH wind, gusts to 30MPH. Really enjoyed passing the DF roadracers uphill on my trike over the last 5 miles.
Old 11-21-11, 04:56 PM
Trikin'

Bikes: Catrike Trail/Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I agree that you sure don't need to spend 3K although its easy to do with an ICE Sprint or a Catrike 700, but the models less expensive are still as enjoyable. I bought a Catrike Trail in '09 and have put on over 15,000K but now I'm thinking about the Terratrike TourII (Elite) for under 2000K, very nice trike as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
New Windwrap.jpg (103.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-21-11, 07:52 PM
pick

Bikes: ABT1X (retired), KHS TR 101, '84 motocruiser frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking at getting a brand new Catrike Expedition as my first trike...a member on BROL was selling his 3 y/o Actionbent T1X (rear suspension, 26" rear wheel) that had 50 miles on it. I bought it and paid 1/5 of what the Cat would have cost me. I am very, very happy with the T1X and very glad I was able to get it. Now, I have no urge to get another trike, but, that may well change as the years go by.
Old 11-21-11, 09:45 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Dang- we were trying to sell trikes for $1400 30 years ago: https://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/aerocoupe/index.htm . I wish we'd hung around long enough for the market to come around. The local "recumbent shop" (Coventry Cycle) can't keep trikes on their floor.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 01-02-12, 12:03 AM
WPeabody 

Bikes: Terratrike Tour, recumbent tadpole tricycle.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Bought a Terratrike Tour last March with the 26" rear wheel, it wasn't cheap for me, but it was the chance of a lifetime to get one, so I was willing to sacrifice other things. Absolutely love riding it. Even on those days I'm not feeling too great, where riding a DF bike would be a bad idea, this keeps me going! also helps me keep my sanity, getting out and moving, fresh air... even if I have to go only 3-5 mph at times.
Old 01-04-12, 05:54 AM
Charlie_R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why buy when you can build? There are many places online that sell plans if you need them. I am building my own LWB delta cargo trike, and have it to the point where I'm using it daily. I'm thinking the $300 I have in parts (never mind the labor!) is a far cry from what is being charged for similar models if you can find them.

Please bear in mind this was at the rolling chassis stage, but it gives you an idea of what I'm doing. Paint will have to wait until spring, when the weather will co-operate.

I'll get a pic of it's current look and post it later.