Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carrying a passenger,gearing?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 05-05-20, 10:17 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts

so...i am want to carry a adult passenger 135 lb, using a old English style bicycle.

Here in China, we can buy these bikes with super strong rack.
Problem is that it is single speed.

cogs: 42x18 , 26 inch tires.

if i switch out the 18 cog with a 22 or 24 cog, how far do you think a normal person can pedal a 135 pound passenger on flat MUP?

20 miles doable?

Last edited by mtb_addict; 06-15-20 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-05-20, 11:47 AM
Nightdiver
On yer bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The only thing limiting the distance is you. The gearing only limits your speed. On flat ground any of those ratios (including the original 42x18) could be fine or impossible, depending on the rider's strength and weight compared to the rear passenger. For me, I would do okay with the original ratio and if I needed to go farther than a couple of miles, then would prefer the higher gearing to the lower/slower gears. Why not just try out the original gearing and see how it works? Then change as needed.
Old 05-05-20, 10:34 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
I would think that facing forward would be the easiest to balance as the person has equal weigh to each side of the bike, facing sideways the person may have more weight on one side or the other. A 42/18 does seem like it wouldn't always be the best for lots of stops from my perspective. Biggest issue is keeping the person's feet out of the rear wheel, one solution is get a longer axle and put cheap pegs on it. Don't let a person climb on and off with them but they should be fine as a place to rest feet and keep the feet away from things that spin.
Old 05-06-20, 05:46 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
42/18 should do IMO, but a 20 could be easier. 22 or 24 would be too low (for me, YMMV).
Old 05-16-20, 01:15 PM
hermanchauw

Bikes: Voodoo Hoodoo, Linus Libertine

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Are you able to/do you want to make the effort to change the chainring also? The lower the effort, the longer you can last.

For me i would probably do 32x22, making 37.8 gear inch. About 35 gear inch is my starting gear in my multispeed bike and it is light enough but not too light that i spin out if i haul a heavy load.
Old 05-19-20, 03:06 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Passengers on racks suck. They can';t help wobbling around trying to compensate for something. I've had the best results when they are nearly as drunk as I am, floppy enough not to react.

If they have slim hips, you might be better jamming them into a basket on the back, they can't wobble around as much. I did that a while ago with a 140lb dude on the back and another one about the same weight on the handlebars, but they had strict instructions not to wobble around. It was for about 3/4 of a mile, but mostly downhill. The dude on the bars probably acted as a good counterweight for the guy in the basket. This was on my tourer, so I was pretty confident it would handle 280lbs of them, 200lbs plus of me and 40lbs of bike. AND it had.....rim brakes!!!!!

In all seriousness though, no way would I try and dink (aussie for double up) someone for 20 miles. It'll suck for both of you. Their buttocks will go to sleep as fast as your temper will rise.
Old 05-21-20, 01:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Have you considered getting a three-speed wheel and shifter?

Cheers
Old 05-24-20, 02:14 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Apparently it can be done... https://www.newindianexpress.com/spo...i-2146619.html
Old 06-04-20, 06:34 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I would think that facing forward would be the easiest to balance as the person has equal weigh to each side of the bike, facing sideways the person may have more weight on one side or the other. A 42/18 does seem like it wouldn't always be the best for lots of stops from my perspective. Biggest issue is keeping the person's feet out of the rear wheel, one solution is get a longer axle and put cheap pegs on it. Don't let a person climb on and off with them but they should be fine as a place to rest feet and keep the feet away from things that spin.
Unless you have a really long wheelbase you run into balance issues where the bike wants to do a wheelie when taking off from a stop. That's already an issue with people sitting sideways on the bike in my experience.
Equal weight on each side of the bike is hardly an issue. Passengers self-center and even when I attach paniers with 10kg on one side to my front rack on only one side that can still be comfortable enough over longer distances.

Rollingspoke did some research into the most common ways to sit in Amsterdam. Side-saddle was the clear winner with a 77% vs 17% majority vs. Bullfrog though there is an interesting difference between men and women here.

I would suggest installing a rear carrier seat for the comfort of your passenger.

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
I had to watch the short clip to understand that "to trial" means for her to be included in the team for further training. Not for getting arrested because she broke quarantine rules.

Last edited by JaccoW; 06-04-20 at 06:38 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 10:12 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Places like Amsterdam it's normal to go out on a date with your friend sitting on the rear rack..
Nothing is done special on the Opa/Oma Bike.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-06-20 at 12:02 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 12:33 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
I would be most worried, among all the other warnings, about whether the rims, tires and tubes can handle the weight. A seat and pegs would be nice.

I googled Yuwang bicycles because I LOVE that rear wheel kickstand. No luck finding it. Do you know a source for it?
Old 06-06-20, 12:03 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts