Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Helmet, Help, Suggestions.

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 05:04 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Is there any little guys out there with smaller heads who have found a helmet that doesn't make them look like Toad from Super Mario? I've never worn a helmet before, bought a Giro Cormick trying to avoid looking like a dweeb which I thought had a smaller profile and I ended up looking like a bigger dweeb. I did think to myself the fact that the Cormick could fit a head up to 61cm would probably make me look kind of ridiculous considering my head is like 55cm. If anyone could point me in a direction I'd appreciate it. I saw a helmet in a Ortlieb ad and it's similar to what I'm looking for if anyone knows who makes it or has a suggestion on something like it?

Last edited by Philasteve; 10-07-20 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 08:34 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Philasteve
Is there any little guys out there with smaller heads who have found a helmet that doesn't make them look like Toad from Super Mario? I've never worn a helmet before, bought a Giro Cormick trying to avoid looking like a dweeb which I thought had a smaller profile and I ended up looking like a bigger dweeb. I did think to myself the fact that the Cormick could fit a head up to 61cm would probably make me look kind of ridiculous considering my head is like 55cm. If anyone could point me in a direction I'd appreciate it. I saw a helmet in a Ortlieb ad and it's similar to what I'm looking for if anyone knows who makes it or has a suggestion on something like it?
Are you buying one to look pretty or to protect your head? if you’re so worried about what you will look like, don’t wear a helmet bc they are made to protect your head.
Old 10-08-20, 06:00 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Perhaps one with a visor? They have a more "elongated" profile and look decent.

Old 10-08-20, 10:41 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
I've been looking for a low profile helmet for months now. Problem is they're out of stock everywhere I look! My other issue is finding one helmet to suit all my bikes (Road, Hybrid, SS, Cruiser). Yes....looks matter to me
One helmet I've been interested in trying is a Hyban model but only can find them Online. There's no way I'll Buy before I Try when it comes to a helmet.
Old 10-08-20, 12:08 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've always liked Louis Garneau's helmet offerings.
Old 10-08-20, 02:50 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
I loathe helmets and would never wear them unless forced to. Tried several and disliked them all. Uncomfortable and look like you have a foam hat floating on top of your head. Finally found one I like, and it was the least expensive of all I tried, go figure.

https://lazersport.us/collections/ro...33411013410951

The Rollsys system is awesome, and helmet sits low and form fitted to your head. First helmet I actually think looks good on me. One thing I have found is to stay away from MIPS. Makes the helmet bulky and ride high, and catches your hair too....so yeah fuk that. Better to have a helmet you actually want to wear.

Last edited by REDMASTA; 10-08-20 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-08-20, 04:56 PM
sixty2strat

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have you tried the Giro Savant? These can be had cheap and nice profile..
Old 10-09-20, 11:14 AM
Philasteve

Originally Posted by jay4usc
Are you buying one to look pretty or to protect your head? if you’re so worried about what you will look like, don’t wear a helmet bc they are made to protect your head.
No I don't think there's a helmet that can make you "look pretty" but I do know there's helmet's that make you look less goofy than others. Probably the worst advice anyone could give, thanks anyway.

Last edited by Philasteve; 10-09-20 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 11:17 AM
Philasteve

Originally Posted by REDMASTA
I loathe helmets and would never wear them unless forced to. Tried several and disliked them all. Uncomfortable and look like you have a foam hat floating on top of your head. Finally found one I like, and it was the least expensive of all I tried, go figure.

https://lazersport.us/collections/ro...33411013410951

The Rollsys system is awesome, and helmet sits low and form fitted to your head. First helmet I actually think looks good on me. One thing I have found is to stay away from MIPS. Makes the helmet bulky and ride high, and catches your hair too....so yeah fuk that. Better to have a helmet you actually want to wear.
Great minds think alike, I was able to snag a camo Blade the night after I made this post. The shop I went to didn't have much in stock I guess due to the times, so I scoured the internet for hours for something low profile. And that was pretty much the only one I could find that had good reviews for comfort/fit and fit what I was looking for.

Last edited by Philasteve; 10-09-20 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Forgot an S.
Likes For Philasteve:
Old 10-09-20, 11:22 AM
Philasteve

Originally Posted by sixty2strat
Have you tried the Giro Savant? These can be had cheap and nice profile..
I ended up grabbing the Lazer Blade, but that's another one I would have considered. Weirdly enough, it's not on their website anymore although you can still buy it. Not sure why but the helmets from a few years ago look better than a lot of the newer road helmets.
Old 10-14-20, 10:25 PM
duuuuuuuuuug

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
The Rollsys system is awesome, and helmet sits low and form fitted to your head.
I've got this helmet too and I think it's great. The Rollsys is suuuper-nifty. I didn't think they could still improve something like a helmet ...
Old 10-16-20, 07:11 AM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts
FYI, the helmet in OP's picture looks like a Catlike to me. Seems like that brand is not around anymore, though.
Old 10-16-20, 08:37 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
You will look pretty unstylish laying in a hosp bed with a head injury. Even more so if it could have been minimized or prevented. Some of the helmets do come in different shell sizes, they will look smaller on your head if the gear inside actually fits your head. No one cares how many style points yer gear has. Ride on, feel the love, have a nice day! 😀
Old 10-16-20, 07:37 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,151 Times in 872 Posts

POC OMNE AIRSPIN
Old 10-24-20, 11:47 PM
PIFFLE

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
Both of Thousand's helmets are fine helmets, fit well and don't look ridiculous like 99% of other helmets - my partner has a tiny head and the small size fit her great, I'm normalish I guess and am very pleased with the medium
Old 11-01-20, 05:55 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
I wear a helmet constantly. But I know what a 4 pound football helmet felt like and many of you do and also that it had a web Ring of support and sometimes I wonder if that thin layer of foam on a bike helmet is going to protect me if my head gets a blunt impact. Does anyone know of any studies? Just curious