Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

front/rear lights combination system??

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 11-01-20, 11:01 AM
steveW99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I would like to know if a lighting system with front and rear lights exists that can be mounted on a bicycle with controls at the handle bar. Perhaps one button to turn on both. Then, if the system has its own battery that powers both lights, the battery can be recharged using only one cord.

Does something like that exist ?
Old 11-01-20, 11:19 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've only seen a complete light system with a dynamo front hub setup so far. Benefit of that is you won't need any battery. Drawback is that the brightness won't compete with newer LCD lights and its more expensive (since you have to rebuild a front wheel in addition to buying all the other pieces). I'm sure that this has been discussed here in many a thread. I'm only using a Light and Motion Urban 900 front light (this was replaced by the 1000):

https://lightandmotion.com/collectio...-1000-blacktop

and a Cygolite Hotshot Pro 80 rear light:

https://cygolite.com/product/hotshot-pro-80-usb/

They're not connected and each have their own battery. Both can be connected to a laptop or desktop computer via mini USB cable for charging. Batteries are so small nowadays, that you don't really need a system that connects the two, IMO. If money was no object, then I'd be getting the DiNotte front and rear lights:

https://store.dinottelighting.com/2020-xpl-3-white-headlight-with-quad-red-taillight-package-p211.aspx

I used to commute with a few guys that use them. But $359 is not cheap compared to $160 or so the the top two together.

Last edited by ptempel; 11-01-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-01-20, 12:31 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
If you had a dynohub on the front wheel and a B&M Luxos U headlamp which has a remote switch on the handlebar and a taillight wired into the headlamp, yes that exists. Light is powered from the alternator in the hub, no need to charge batteries. If you want the taillight to flash, that won't happen, the taillight is on continuously.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-01-20, 12:36 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
At some point I found a system where both the rear and front light was not powered by internal batteries, but by a battery pack. For the life of me, I haven't been able to find it since. I'd really like to buy a front and rear from them.

Failing that, I wondered if I could buy some Kellermann Atto lights to run them on 5v (2.4A output), but they have never replied to my requests if they could run on 5 volts. I bet they think I'm pulling their legs. Nothing about voltage in their documents available online.

Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-01-20, 06:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
At least one person reported running lights intended for dynamos with a battery. I plan to try it eventually. Those USB rechargeable batteries are universally available now, and I could “plug” one into the bike and power those nifty lights with it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-02-20, 07:59 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Here's a site that I ran into again with some dynamo hub lighting resources:

https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.php

Really nice hubs there.
Likes For ptempel:
Old 11-02-20, 08:13 AM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Not sure if it meets your requirements but there are some ant+ lights that can be controlled through some head units.

ex the bontrager flare rt /ion lights

They do still need to be recharged but it might be feasible to power them off a dyno hub.
Old 11-02-20, 08:18 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I lost my Niterider Solas the other day, so I bought a Trelock Vector Signal. I was very surprised to find that you can use it even while charging (I had given up on that particular want). Anyway, it's still light outside, but I'm looking forward to trying it out in the dark (it arrived today).

It doesn't blink (it's street legal in Germany), which suits me perfectly as I don't use strobing light settings on my lights.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-02-20, 11:12 AM
ptempel

Originally Posted by CargoDane
It doesn't blink (it's street legal in Germany), which suits me perfectly as I don't use strobing light settings on my lights.
I usually prefer the solid settings on both front and rear lights. Looks more like what a car or motorcycle would have. My front one has three solid brightness levels with the fourth blinking slowly. The rear one is the opposite: only one setting solid and many with different blinks.
Likes For ptempel:
Old 11-02-20, 01:10 PM
Laseranimal

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Lezyne smart connect lights link front and rear via bluetooth and both lights can be controlled from the front light, phone, or head unit. Not off of one battery though
Old 11-02-20, 04:42 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

At some point I found a system where both the rear and front light was not powered by internal batteries, but by a battery pack. For the life of me, I haven't been able to find it since. I'd really like to buy a front and rear from them.
I frigging found it - by accident even! It is these lights:

https://www.orfos.us/collections/pro...21801405186131

Truth be told, they aren't as great as I remember them. No cut-off shield, for instance. They do run on an external battery pack but now that I lucked out with that Trelok tail light I just bought - which can be charged while using it, maybe the advantage is completely gone. They are also just a tad too expensive these days compared to other tail lights etc.
Old 11-30-20, 12:13 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
Look at dinottelighting.com they have a system with a rechargeable battery that is wired with a switch that controls both front and back lights. Not sure of the model. I have one.

Last edited by Jmpierce; 11-30-20 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 04:11 AM
scubaman

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
I frigging found it - by accident even! It is these lights:

https://www.orfos.us/collections/pro...21801405186131

Truth be told, they aren't as great as I remember them. No cut-off shield, for instance. They do run on an external battery pack...
I ride with Orfos lights on my hydration backpack: yellow on the front of my left shoulder, red on the back. These lights are terrific for being seen, and really not designed for seeing. They're very light, and one can power them directly from a USB power bank. Note that they have no on/off switch - if they're plugged into power, they're on. They do have buttons to control light pattern and intensity.
Old 12-06-20, 07:54 AM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by steveW99
I would like to know if a lighting system with front and rear lights exists that can be mounted on a bicycle with controls at the handle bar. Perhaps one button to turn on both. Then, if the system has its own battery that powers both lights, the battery can be recharged using only one cord.

Does something like that exist ?
Why do you want that? Having a wire running from the front to back is messy. I turn my tail light on before I get on the bike. I can turn the headlights on the handlebars, on or off while riding. I use solar lights, so they are charged when exposed to sunlight. I don't need to do anything to recharge them.
Likes For alo:
Old 12-06-20, 07:56 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Man, I just pitched a ~25 year old Niterider system with front and rear wired to a shared battery. That was top of the line back then.
Old 12-15-20, 04:51 PM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
not an on off switch on the handle bar but this LIGHT might be a good option for your need. I have this set on 2 of my bikes and like it a lot.
Old 12-23-20, 09:17 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Trek has an ANT+ controller for their Bontrager lights. I don’t have one so cannot attest to its reliability but may be what you want. Like others indicated there are apps for head units too. Cross brand reliability may be an issue though.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black
Old 12-30-20, 07:18 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
This thread is good timing. I was trying to talk myself into a Peter White lighting set up, but just can't stomach the cost - even with the $300 closeout price for the front wheel with SON hub.
I'm looking for what the OP is looking for, a single battery pack carried somewhere on the frame, or toptube bag or something. Powering both front and rear light. Struggling for a budget oriented solution so far. I've seen very few tail lights that accept external power (that aren't DYNO lights (or A/C powered lights).

Head Lights:
- Light & Motion RANDO light that accepts charging power in "low power" 125 lumen mode: https://lightandmotion.com/products/...20d4d97f&_ss=r

- Busch + Muller IXON IQ -- this contains rechargeable batteries, but can be externally charged at the same time. B+M want you to use the E-WERK box powered by a DYNO hub. But they sell those.... so there you go. I would think a battery pack as an external supply would work, just got to figure out the voltage range and amps.
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/P...UMM_151027.pdf https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...1922qmla.html?
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/P...E-WERK%20l.pdf

- Busch + Muller LUMOTEC IQ Cyo -- this is for dyno hubs, but the PDF says if "you" reverse the polarity on the power, it can run DC, so I think that must be the set up for using on e-bikes. I'm still kind of investigating that:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/A..._IQ_Cyo_RZ.PDF https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dyna...ent/1752.html?

- Magicshine looked interesting - a lamp with a 10Ah external pack you can pull power from for a tail light: https://www.magicshine.us/product/ma...ike-led-light/
but under the FAQs, it says not to worry if the light gets "super hot" - like 75C -- I mean holy hothouse, Batman! what the heck are they wasting so much energy on!!
Probably this would work well for me. I'm on dirt roads and what not. So 800 lumens is plenty. I'm guessing they don't have the B+M beam pattern down, so more likely I'll go B+M. That's if I can figure out how to safely add a battery pack to the B+M light.

I want an external battery pack later. I'm OK if I don't have it "now", but I'd like lights I could use with an external pack.
Then for long bike tours I am thinking I can add one of these - if I can find it a bit cheaper: https://pedalcell.com/
-- OR https://www.velogical-engineering.com...ight-efficient
-- these are probably A/C, so it might work with the E-WERK thingy box, then plug lights and phones into that. More to investigate. Looks like I'm dumping my investigation in this thread.

UPDATE (12/31/20) ----------------
LEZYNE -- ALSO: they sell some integrated and wireless controls, so you can turn on/off with a button on the bar. I think it has to be set up with a cell phone app.
-- They sell a 20Wh battery pack (like 4Ah at with a 5V rated load, like a cell phone or other USB device). They offer select lights that will run with the with this pack, which means with the right cable you can connect any source to it. I am assuming a 5V source, but the documentation doesn't not specify the voltage for the cable.
-- Unbelievably they call it the "INFINITE LIGHT POWER PACK". They will get sued. If Red Bull can loose a lawsuit for not actually giving people wings, LEZYNE will loose.
PACK: https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...led-pwrpk-v104
COMPATIBLE Light: https://ride.lezyne.com/products/mega-drive-1800i or the helmet light that comes with a pack: https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-led-27f-v104
-- Still looking for a tail light I can plug in and run at the same time.
-------------------------------
I have 5 or 6 year old CYGOLITE Metro (360 lumen). I can run that light full bright AND plug in an external pack. I do that for winter riding now. But something is loose in the light as it will flicker when the battery gets low. So I run a second bar light for anything over an hour, a SERFAS 600 thing. But it shuts off if I apply external charging power. Right now rear lights I have a handful of cheap lights, some USB chargeable, some AAA batts.

Those DiNotte lights look interesting.
Any suggestions are much appreciated.
happy new year.

Last edited by mrv; 12-31-20 at 09:39 AM. Reason: "so" - had to delete starting a sentance with "so" - drives me "so" crazy
Old 12-31-20, 09:59 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
This is a bit of a tangent to the original question (on Bikeforums? Perish the thought), but as far as I can tell, there aren't a lot of lights that can operate while they charge from USB. Or if there are, the manufacturers don't see fit to mention this feature. My wife and I have a Lezyne and a Cygolite headlight; the Lezyne will not run while charging; the Cygolite will, but the charge port has such a weak grasp on the cable that there would be no way to ride with the cable securely inserted.

Outbound Lighting has an off-road headlight, the Hangover, that has a small internal battery but is specifically designed to run while connected to a power bank. If they had a road version, I'd be all over it.

On the original question, the simplest alternative is to get a helmet light with front and rear emitters. These are extremely common.
Old 01-01-21, 12:35 AM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I have a Cycliq Fly6 CE that can charge and run at the same time, so long as the light's internal battery hasn't run down too much. But it's a camera+light, so it's much more expensive than a regular light. At least it seems to charge while running it. The power pack I had would die early, but just charging the power pack brought it back to full power, so I assume it's the power pack and not the light that's the problem. The manufacturer is coming out with a new version if the light which I assume will also charge and run. I believe the Fly12 will also.

There's also a brand of light called Ravemen, and some of their front lights charge and run at the same time. They call the feature "Battery Run Time Extension". They also have a front optic for a slightly nicer beam pattern than other lights, but there's still a bit of spill up.
Likes For Geekage:
Old 01-01-21, 12:09 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@adamrice I noticed the same things. My B&M Ixon Core (original version) accepts a charge while it operates. They don’t say so, but it’s a good feature. The light finally just failed on me after a few years. It lights up well but the charging plug (micro-USB) falls out. I have to position it extremely carefully to charge it. I haven’t decided if I’ll still keep it. The battery still holds a charge extremely well. Are there well known fixes to bad micro-USB jacks?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-01-21, 06:41 PM
Geekage

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Are there well known fixes to bad micro-USB jacks?
If it's only an intermittent connection, then maybe it's possible to replace it. When the connector is torn out, then usually the copper traces have been broken and it requires a bit more surgery to get it working. I usually need the stereo microscope at work to do that kind of repair.

There are also magnetic adapters that might extend the lifetime of a connector, but that's only before it starts to go bad. And the adapter usually prevents any port cover from closing, so water resistance suffers.
Old 01-02-21, 10:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Geekage, thanks. As it turns out, I had two bad micro-usb cables, not a bad jack. I tried a third cable, and my light is charging fine now.

Old 01-04-21, 02:40 PM
Alphamoose

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not sure that this is an 'off-road headlight'. It's a helmet light. I have one and have used it on the road, the beam pattern was very nice.
Old 01-05-21, 10:19 AM
polyphrast

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
This thread is good timing. I was trying to talk myself into a Peter White lighting set up, but just can't stomach the cost - even with the $300 closeout price for the front wheel with SON hub.
I'm looking for what the OP is looking for, a single battery pack carried somewhere on the frame, or toptube bag or something. Powering both front and rear light. Struggling for a budget oriented solution so far. I've seen very few tail lights that accept external power (that aren't DYNO lights (or A/C powered lights).

[...]
- Busch + Muller IXON IQ -- this contains rechargeable batteries, but can be externally charged at the same time. B+M want you to use the E-WERK box powered by a DYNO hub. But they sell those.... so there you go. I would think a battery pack as an external supply would work, just got to figure out the voltage range and amps.
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/P...UMM_151027.pdf https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku...1922qmla.html?
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/P...E-WERK%20l.pdf

- Busch + Muller LUMOTEC IQ Cyo -- this is for dyno hubs, but the PDF says if "you" reverse the polarity on the power, it can run DC, so I think that must be the set up for using on e-bikes. I'm still kind of investigating that:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/A..._IQ_Cyo_RZ.PDF https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dyna...ent/1752.html?
If you want to run B&M lights on a battery, get an e-bike dedicated light from B&M. The usually accept 6-40V Input current, same for their e-bike taillights. If Peter White doesn't list them, for sure one of the german online shops will ship it to the states.
Forgot the IQ, take the IQ Premium. The "Cyo Premium" uses the same optics as the IQ Premium. I'd recommend an IQ-X(E), of if you like an integrated high beam, grab a IQ-XM

Originally Posted by adamrice
Outbound Lighting has an off-road headlight, the Hangover, that has a small internal battery but is specifically designed to run while connected to a power bank. If they had a road version, I'd be all over it.
A self contained dedicated road light (similar in style as the hangover, but with different optics) was announced by Outbound for Summer/Fall 2021, as well as a tail light. He wrote this in one of the Outbound Threads on mtbr.com. And for mid 2022 he vaguely announced a road light with integrated high beam (but probably w/ external battery)

Originally Posted by Alphamoose
I'm not sure that this is an 'off-road headlight'. It's a helmet light. I have one and have used it on the road, the beam pattern was very nice.
It is an offroad light, because you'll blind oncoming traffic with it. The focal road edition is a proper roadlight with cut-off (i have one and i tested once a hangover)
Likes For polyphrast:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.