Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

42 or 36 front?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 08:39 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
42 or 36 front?

I have a Sram Rival crankset on my Wolverine and a 42T original ring with spider and a 36 Wolf Tooth oval direct mount. I have run both rings with various cogs in SS mode. I hate changing rings back and forth due to the 3 little torx bolts I have to remove and re loctite every time. The 36T front ring seems the most logical because I have the greatest range of gearing from low to high with a variety of cogs as this bike sees gravel events with all types of elevation profiles from flatter to extreme and occasionally a sub 24 hour overnight loaded bikepacking trip. However I keep researching and finding threads about increased/decreased cog/chain wear, friction, and some saying that the size of the front ring affects power even if all else is equal. In a real world situation, does this even matter?
Old 11-06-20, 06:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Pick the one that works best for you or maybe find something in the middle. Track riders might have both different chainrings and cogs with them for different events.

A single speed is always in the wrong gear you just need to figure out for yourself what wrong gear works best for you most of the time or if you can suffer through it for the times you need something bigger or smaller.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-06-20, 06:53 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pick the one that works best for you or maybe find something in the middle. Track riders might have both different chainrings and cogs with them for different events.

A single speed is always in the wrong gear you just need to figure out for yourself what wrong gear works best for you most of the time or if you can suffer through it for the times you need something bigger or smaller.
Yeah trying to find one ring to rule them all is maybe impossible
Likes For trail_monkey:
Old 11-06-20, 07:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4347 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Yeah trying to find one ring to rule them all is maybe impossible
It cannot exist unless you have a variable tooth count which doesn't exist and cannot really exist in reality. You cannot really add or remove actual teeth while riding but you could always have a geared bike or two for that and then you can shift to different gears.

However once you find the right one that generally works in the situations you want it to work in you are all set. I have found my 44x17 for road is quite nice but everyone is a bit different.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-07-20, 12:59 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The 36T front ring seems the most logical because I have the greatest range of gearing from low to high with a variety of cogs as this bike sees gravel events with all types of elevation profiles from flatter to extreme
Then 36T is your answer.

However I keep researching and finding threads about increased/decreased cog/chain wear, friction, and some saying that the size of the front ring affects power even if all else is equal. In a real world situation, does this even matter?
No, it does not. Ride the gear that works best for you. The "power" argument is silly, and if you have to replace your chainring or cog every 20 months instead of every 24, does it really matter?

Last edited by Rolla; 11-07-20 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-07-20, 07:43 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by Rolla
Then 36T is your answer.

No, it does not. Ride the gear that works best for you. The "power" argument is silly, and if you have to replace your chainring or cog every 20 months instead of every 24, does it really matter?
36 it is
Likes For trail_monkey: