Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

bike computer that be used indoors as well

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 11-22-20, 09:18 AM
giannout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi there, hoping you guys can help me out. I'm looking to get a bike computer:
  • I don’t need GPS;
  • I’d like speed and cadence sensor which can mount on back wheel so I can use with my trainer in the winter
  • Price point under $100-200.
The one that stood out as a possibility was the Cateye strada digital?
Is another possibility buying just the sensors? something like garmin or wahoo speed/cadence sensor and combining with a cheap wireless device? What does that device need to be compatible? ANT+ or Bluetooth?
I normally just use Strava on my iphone when outdoors, but that eats my battery fairly quickly
thank you
Old 11-22-20, 03:06 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Take a look at the Wahoo Blue SC Speed/Cadence sensor. It mounts on the chain stay and works with both Bluetooth and Ant+ devices. I think it sells for around $59.00 USD. Unless you are running an older version of Strava, the newer version no longer supports BTLE, although I read were they are starting to support it for heart rate monitors only. If your version of Strava doesn't support BTLE, download the free Wahoo Fitness app. It supports sensors and is totally free. Before you give up on your phone, do a search on how to optimize your phone for longer battery life. Before I went with a GPS computer, I was doing century rides off my phone with three sensors attached to it and no charging during the rides. It's not impossible if you do it right.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-23-20, 09:11 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Wired Cateye Strada with cadence ticks all the boxes, but good luck finding one right now. Maybe next spring, when another container full of them comes off the ship...
Old 11-23-20, 11:51 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
garmin 130 plus, maybe. add speed sensor & cadence sensor.
Old 11-23-20, 04:04 PM
giannout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John_V
Take a look at the Wahoo Blue SC Speed/Cadence sensor. It mounts on the chain stay and works with both Bluetooth and Ant+ devices. I think it sells for around $59.00 USD. Unless you are running an older version of Strava, the newer version no longer supports BTLE, although I read were they are starting to support it for heart rate monitors only. If your version of Strava doesn't support BTLE, download the free Wahoo Fitness app. It supports sensors and is totally free. Before you give up on your phone, do a search on how to optimize your phone for longer battery life. Before I went with a GPS computer, I was doing century rides off my phone with three sensors attached to it and no charging during the rides. It's not impossible if you do it right.
thank you, it came down between the garmin speed2&candence2 sensor and the wahoo RPM Speed&cadence - end up ordering the wahoo
Old 11-23-20, 05:56 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
The cadence/speed sensors that attach to the chain stay are always finicky for me. If it gets knocked even a little off position you lose speed or cadence, have to stop and adjust, usually at the worst time. The Garmin speed2 and cadence2 sensor or similar Wahoo one is better and fool proof and you can connect to a smart phone app like ridewithGPS or Strava instead of needing a bike head unit. If you get more serious you can invest in a Garmin or Wahoo bike computer later.
Old 11-24-20, 06:28 AM
giannout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
The cadence/speed sensors that attach to the chain stay are always finicky for me. If it gets knocked even a little off position you lose speed or cadence, have to stop and adjust, usually at the worst time. The Garmin speed2 and cadence2 sensor or similar Wahoo one is better and fool proof and you can connect to a smart phone app like ridewithGPS or Strava instead of needing a bike head unit. If you get more serious you can invest in a Garmin or Wahoo bike computer later.
thanks
Old 12-02-20, 07:30 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
? um ? a good bike mount for your phone and BT sensors?
I like the Magene sensors in dual BT/ANT+ that I get from HK for 13$ apiece which sync with the phone real nice
Package is less than $50, plus maybe a BT HRM