Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to prevent rust

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How to prevent rust

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 02:31 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
How to prevent rust

I went out for my ride today and it wasn’t raining but had just stopped raining about couple hours prior (I don’t ride in the rain)

Although the road was wet, i obviously avoid puddles and such since I’m into road cycling but couldn’t avoid little small ones couple times due to the bumpy roads

With that said how concerned should I be about rust in such conditions ? If it is a concern should I be actively doing anything to prevent rust after riding in such conditions especially the drive train (derailers, gears etc ) but also the bike in general

my bike is pretty new and it’s my first bike since a child so I want it to last a long time , and ride well but with minimal effort lol, I’ll prolly get yearly tune ups

Last edited by Awesomeguy; 11-26-20 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 02:33 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Is your chain oiled?

If yes, nothing to worry about.

If no, still nothing to worry about. Carefuly oil every other link using some thick lubricant and enjoy the bike.
Old 11-26-20, 03:53 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by Awesomeguy
I went out for my ride today and it wasn’t raining but had just stopped raining about couple hours prior (I don’t ride in the rain)

Although the road was wet, i obviously avoid puddles and such since I’m into road cycling but couldn’t avoid little small ones couple times due to the bumpy roads

With that said how concerned should I be about rust in such conditions ? If it is a concern should I be actively doing anything to prevent rust after riding in such conditions especially the drive train (derailers, gears etc ) but also the bike in general

my bike is pretty new and it’s my first bike since a child so I want it to last a long time , and ride well but with minimal effort lol, I’ll prolly get yearly tune ups
Bicycles don't mind rain!

If you keep your bike inside, in a dry environment, when it's not in use and don't 'put it away (soaking) wet' you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Your bike (Trek FX3) is aluminum (carbon fork?), and most all its components are aluminum/plastic/rubber, excepting probably cassette and chain; maybe chainrings; and a few (easily replaceable) bolts. Spokes are stainless.

If you're fussy, just bounce the bike a couple times after a wet ride, wipe down the chain with a dry rag, and put away. No need to lube the chain until it becomes dry/'chirpy'. You'll know it when you hear it!

I've been riding regularly for going on twenty years, often in wet conditions, including snow/slush/road salt. The above is my routine. No 'rust', across four bikes -- one of them had a steel frame. Drivetrains (chains/cassettes/chainrings) just wear normally.
Old 11-26-20, 04:22 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
When I was a kid, if we were out playing, and someone said: "My mom says I'm not allowed to get wet," well, guess who got wet.

In my view, bikes are a lot less delicate than we tend to assume. They can get wet. I ride in all weather, and my bikes have not suffered for it. I bring them into the garage and let them drip dry. The only time that rust is an issue, is when the roads are salted during the winter. The chain can tolerate a bit of light surface rust, though it might be unsightly. There may be some plain steel fasteners that show a bit of rust after a season of all weather cycling, but that's cosmetic too.

For all weather cycling, there's always the question of chain lubrication, with different "camps" preferring thicker lubes, or dry lubes. That's worth reading about, since there have been plenty of threads about it, and it's not worth starting yet another one.
Old 11-26-20, 04:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Nothing to worry about...but for an extra peace of mind you can spray some rust proofing oil inside your steel frame.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 11-26-20, 05:51 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Rust is even considered a special treatment or style for some. Badge of honor I suppose
Old 11-26-20, 06:51 PM
banana jam 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
if you like your bike and plan on keeping it for awhile, then gently rinse the gunk off it and dry it off. Keeping your drivetrain maintained will pay for itself in longer life of components vs. allowing gunk to accumulate and act like grinding compound on your chain/gears.
Old 11-26-20, 09:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
No full fenders on this but it gets cleaned after it’s rain rides. The rear wing works well and pops right off. Had a small repair after a slight off down an embankment on my mtn bike (where some snarky person will no doubt say, Where it belongs).

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-29-20, 01:49 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
I wipe my steel bikes down with 3&1 oil after a wet ride.
Old 11-29-20, 01:55 PM
Awesomeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 7up
I wipe my steel bikes down with 3&1 oil after a wet ride.
do you considered , a wet ride when riding in the rain? Or when you ride if it is wet out but not raining ?
Old 11-29-20, 02:05 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

If you're riding a new bike, there are probably very few parts that can rust and they are mostly bearings. Your yearly tuneups should include checking the bearings so that isn't a problem. As a rule, bearings do not rust that rapidly and most modern roller bearings have seals on them not to end rust but to greatly reduce it. As for possible corrosion that can damage the paint of aluminum components such as the handlebars under the tape where the steel lever connections go onto the aluminum handlebar, the tape generally offers a fairly good protection from that unless you spend a great deal of time out in the rain. For the frame etc, heavy wax car polish stops most water damage. Also place this on the steel pedal shafts where it enters the aluminum cranks.
Old 11-29-20, 02:08 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Is your chain oiled?

If yes, nothing to worry about.

If no, still nothing to worry about. Carefuly oil every other link using some thick lubricant and enjoy the bike.
I agree but these days most of the chain lubes are a carrier with Teflin in it. This offers little rust protection since it is designed solely to reduce rolling resistance of the chain links. So it you're out in the wet much keep a close eye on the chain and replace when necessary. You'll find the better chains are plated with a non-corrosive coating such as nickel.
Old 11-29-20, 03:55 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
do you considered , a wet ride when riding in the rain? Or when you ride if it is wet out but not raining ?
Riding into small water puddles from washing a vehicle as an example does not worry me curiously for some reason other than water spots. If I get caught out in the rain during my ride more then likely I will wipe it down.Acid rain has its affects IMO.I can only imagine the Side effects on carbon fiber.