Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which motor kit would work best for my bike?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 11-24-20, 04:05 PM
SoundWaves

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, new here. I have a lot of downtime.at work due to Covid (mechanic shop) so I have taken it upon myself to start a project at work, I'm very excited to slap a motor on my bike so I can hit a patch of ice going 50kms and break an ankle or two!

Anyway, my bike is a 2019 GT Aggressor Comp. I'm about to throw a ton of commie measurements at you guys as I'm Canadian.
  • Top Tube: Large - 644mm
  • Seat Tube: Large - 785mm
  • Stack : Large - 608mm
  • Reach : Large - 455mm
  • Standover Height Large - 804mm
  • Head Tube Angle: 69.5°
  • Seat Tube Angle: 72.7°
  • Chainstay Length :Large - 435mm
  • Bottom Bracket Drop :Large - 45mm
  • Head Tube Length : Large - 130mm
  • Wheelbase : Large - 1143mm
I've spoken to a few manufacturers who say the bike would be a bit tight.

Any input on kits I could buy would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 11-24-20, 06:37 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Before you look further and since you're Canadian might look at ebikesca and read their tutorials. They are the place I'd go for a hub system. If you decide on a mid-drive, come on back.
Likes For 2old:
Old 11-24-20, 06:39 PM
SoundWaves

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Before you look further and since you're Canadian might look at ebikesca and read their tutorials. They are the place I'd go for a hub system. If you decide on a mid-drive, come on back.
Hey thanks appreciate the site, I'll check it out!
Old 11-24-20, 08:59 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Looks like it would fit a downtube battery to me.

https://www.the-house.com/gtac2mbext...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-25-20, 04:09 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundWaves
I'm about to throw a ton of commie measurements at you guys as I'm Canadian.
Yeah, sometimes I head down south so I can ride in Canada.

You need to decide on your target speed, power, and range.
You can get crazy with either of those, but its going to cost you a lot of $$$ and weight (mostly in the battery).
I like light and fast and weak, but most people want more power.

A strong cyclist can do 250 watts. 500watts is gonna be a lot stronger than you, and 1000 watts is more like a scooter.

Ebike.ca has a ton of good info. I've spent much of my life with their ebike simulator to design my bike to be what I want.
Likes For chas58:
Old 11-25-20, 04:38 PM
SoundWaves

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Yeah, sometimes I head down south so I can ride in Canada.

You need to decide on your target speed, power, and range.
You can get crazy with either of those, but its going to cost you a lot of $$$ and weight (mostly in the battery).
I like light and fast and weak, but most people want more power.

A strong cyclist can do 250 watts. 500watts is gonna be a lot stronger than you, and 1000 watts is more like a scooter.

Ebike.ca has a ton of good info. I've spent much of my life with their ebike simulator to design my bike to be what I want.
I'll be completely honest with you guys, I was talking about a gas powered motor as I was directed here by another user..however after reading ebikes.ca I'm very keen on going electric. My main goal is speed forsure with power and longevity taking a back seat.

It also seems that given my bike frame it would be more suited to a battery over a gas motor.

Thanks for the suggestions and website!
Old 11-26-20, 06:52 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundWaves
I'll be completely honest with you guys, I was talking about a gas powered motor as I was directed here by another user..howMy main goal is speed forsure with power and longevity taking a back seat.
Luna cycle sells BBSHD kits and most excellent batteries. If you REALLY want to go fast consider hotrodding the BBSHD with an aftermarket controller. Luna makes a "ludicrous" controller but don't know that they sell just that by itself. However lots of on-line info about building one of your own

The Luna site has excellent and very informative links to hotrod applications
Old 11-27-20, 12:23 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I doubt anyone will bother improving gas powered assists now that e-motors have become very affordable and practical. Gas engines are awful, crude, noisy, smoky ... ... urgh. However, a statement like "my main goal is speed, power and longevity taking a back seat" shows that the o.p. really does need to study the Grin Tech (ebikes.ca) website. You cannot have speed without power. High speeds require high of power. It also isn't wise to put a very powerful motor into just any old (or new) mountain bike and expect to be safe. You may break something more consequential than an ankle. Informative, I think would be to compare the bicycle underpinnings of production e-bikes sold by the big companies. Not only are the overall frame dimensions more ... generous, that what I see above, the details of the suspension, tire size and brake technology are also likely different from regular production bikes. The gearing on your bike is very low. It isn't meant to be a speed bike. It's just my opinion but, if a bike is overpowered the rider will end up using it like an electric scooter. A real electric scooter is MUCH more comfortable, stops better, and the front end geometry is designed to support the higher speeds that an electric scooter can reach. IMO a BBSHD is much too much power for that bike. A BBS02 or TSDZ2 have a power and speed range more suited to that kind of frame and wheels.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-27-20, 08:21 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
IMO a BBSHD is much too much power for that bike.
You simply couldn't be more wrong on that. That bike will easily "handle" considerably more power. 7 speed, mechanical discs, what's not to love? Have a BBSHD on an aluminum frame MTB. I did use a torque arm due to some potential cautions about chewing up the aluminum bottom bracket, but as long as one torques down the bottom bracket right that is more of a belt and suspenders overkill.

Besides the lines are blurring on some of these motors. Current limit on a BBS02 is a 25 amp whereas BBSHD is 30 amps. So a BBS02 with 52V battery has close to the same max wattage as the BBSHD with a 48V battery.

Worst case program the BBSHD to a 25 amp current limit and enjoy the added reliability of the larger, better constructed motor.

The BBS02 might be a better choice from a cost perspective, but not because the bike "can't handle it".

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 11-27-20 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-30-20, 01:06 PM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
The main thing is the type of riding you plan on doing. Hub motors are pretty good for road riding, mid drives work well if you like some trail riding. A Bafang BBS02 is a nice unit, Golden Motor.ca is a good place to check out. Important info is the width of your bottom bracket, usually 68 to 73 mm and its ID, usually around .325" Tongsheng makes a nice mid drive motor, it uses torque sensing so retain the whole "bicycle" feeling. It's a bit more compact than the Bafang and not quite as strong.
Likes For northernjeep: