Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

which bikes do you own, and what is your favorite?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

which bikes do you own, and what is your favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-20, 12:35 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I don't subscribe to the 'do it all' bike theory, for longtime cycling enjoyment + hobby.
Different gearing, different strengths.

Favorite fendered road bike for PNW wet days.
Favorite Recovery Day bike
Favorite Century bike (all my centuries are metric)
Favorite Go-Fast Group Ride bike
Favorite Cascade Mountains Roamer
etc.

Triple chainring, 9sp Ergo with clinchers

Easy cruising 48/34 chainrings, smooth SLX frame rolling 27mm tubulars = cloud-like.

Fast & steady, modern lugged steel with Ergo 10, tubular wheels

Did I mention fendered bike?

And the CF for .... most anything not requiring a triple chainring or 30+mm tires

Last edited by Wildwood; 11-27-20 at 12:55 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 11-27-20, 05:11 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It depends where I am riding. If in town on the trails, it is my trike, because it is so easy to ride with all the stop and go riding. No unclipping and wobbling around again trying to get clipped in. Out on the hiways with the bike club, my LWB bent.
You have been on this site long enough to know we need pics or it didn't happen.
Old 11-27-20, 05:31 PM
Yellowlab

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR8, 2017 Cannondale Slate 105, 2018 Trek Domane SLR 6, 2019 Specialized Allez Elite, 2019 Diamondback Release 3 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by siclmn
My bike collection of 30 years had gotten up to 10 bikes that I never rode. I only rode my newest bike. They were all high end bikes when I bought them. Months ago I sold most of them on Craigslist. They are not missed because I never rode them. The one that I ride now is a keeper. Niner RDO with DI 2 and tubeless tires and fenders. It is just like my car, smooth and quiet it will go anywhere I want anytime. If there is a group ride I just grab it and go. Gravel trails no problem. Fast road rides no problem. Rain or puddles no problem.

Love the white-walls, that is an all around awesome looking and versatile bike, I can see why you kept that one.
Old 11-27-20, 07:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Just-built Soma Fog Cutter, my all rounder with an eye to grand randonees. 46/30 11-30, hydro mech discs, tubeless currently 35mm gravelking slicks, fenders, dynohub lights.

Trek Roscoe 6 MTB for messing around on trails. 1x, hydro discs.

Priority Eight commuter. Dynohub, belt drive, fenders, 8 spd, hydro discs.

Volae Team recumbent. My brevet bike for the last 10 years. Triple, dynohub, rim brakes, carbon seat. A 1200k dream machine.

My current favorite is the Fog Cutter, but it's unproven beyond 200k. Still tweaking the fit.

Soma. Near Sandy, OR.

Priority. In the bike shed at work.

Roscoe. Middle Fork Snoqualmie Trail, WA.

Volae. PBP 2019.
Old 11-28-20, 10:14 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3138 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 1,031 Posts
downtube42 I like the color-matched fenders on the Soma!
Old 11-28-20, 10:30 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Not to the extent of many people here, but I pass through bikes like candy and don't get too attached to any of them. Because I know this, I tend to buy cheap ones, then give them away or get them stolen.

My favorite is whatever I am riding at the moment. Currently that's a $200 single-speed flip-flop without a name painted on it that I bought new five years ago that I'm riding ~10 miles daily touring Chicago as a Covid-times hobby. In the shop getting set up and adjusted is a State Bicycle 8-speed road bike likely to become the next fave. Always hovering in the background, never ridden these days, consoling me that I'm riding junk by choice, is a 1970 Raleigh Competition bought new, frankenbiked with some Campy stuff from the same period.
Old 11-28-20, 12:01 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
My Lynskey is my favorite, when I want to go far or fast or long. My primary bike.
My Raleigh Pro is my favorite when I want to re imagine past glories. Some of which even happened.
My Paramount is my favorite because I just restored it, just like mine from the 70's.
My Trek is my favorite when I want to think I am still middle age. Phil Liggett often narrates these rides (in my head)
My Falcon is sometimes my favorite when I ride it around town to run errands or get ice cream.
and sometimes my Trek Tandem is my favorite when I want to spend time with the Mrs. so she doesn't forget who I am. 30 miles and a coffee shop can be a lot of fun too!