Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lezyne floor pump question.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lezyne floor pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-18, 05:42 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
20% off a waste of money is still a waste of money, just sayin’
Old 03-15-18, 03:07 AM
alarsen77

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD Optimo Disc 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
20% off a waste of money is still a waste of money, just sayin’
I don't think it's a waste of money. They have an awesome return policy so if it doesn't work out I didn't wastw any money because I can return it and then get something different. I actually think the Silca for $235 would have been a waste of money.
Old 03-19-18, 12:02 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
They're sending another Velowurks pumps,

but I figured out how to open up the gauge, & the needle was on the wrong side of the stop pin-

probably from shipping. So it works but the replacement has most likely already been shipped.

The chuck is a little fussy to get on right, & the gauge numbers are hard to read,

but nice long stroke, long hose, & sturdy.
Old 03-19-18, 08:35 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
2. The pump just doesn't move enough air with each stroke. As a result, it takes a LOT of pumping.
Out of curiosity and since the opportunity came, I twice filled a fully deflated 700x25c tire to 110psi and each time it took 26 easy pump strokes with the steel drive. We spin our legs millions of times in comparison.
Old 03-20-18, 09:34 AM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Sounds reasonable. The next time I'm in a position to be riding the B-bike and using the B-pump and get a flat, I'll count my strokes for you. I will be sure to count the ones where the pump handle doesn't actually 'engage' and just hits bottom without pushing any air at all (which has been a thing since I received the pump.)
Old 03-30-18, 08:31 PM
Photok

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
They're sending another Velowurks pumps,

but I figured out how to open up the gauge, & the needle was on the wrong side of the stop pin-

probably from shipping. So it works but the replacement has most likely already been shipped.

The chuck is a little fussy to get on right, & the gauge numbers are hard to read,

but nice long stroke, long hose, & sturdy.
How's the velowurks working out for you? I was thinking of picking one up after some frustration trying to get an sks rennkompressor from Amazon. They've shipped me two now with the older mv chuck instead of the eva head. Was thinking of giving up on sks and getting something different.
Old 03-30-18, 11:27 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Photok
How's the velowurks working out for you? I was thinking of picking one up after some frustration trying to get an sks rennkompressor from Amazon. They've shipped me two now with the older mv chuck instead of the eva head. Was thinking of giving up on sks and getting something different.

I'm quite liking it. A bit of learning curve w/ the chuck -

turns out that you don't need to push it on very far, yet it holds well.

the handle is aluminum but the end caps are plastic so they may need help to stay in place eventually.

It is tall & claims to put out 250 psi. I got 200 psi into a Tufo tire before it became

very hard to push the handle- the chuck didn't leak.

The gauge is large but 0-100 psi is only about 100˚ arc so numbers not easy to read.

Thought I'd use it longer before posting a review, but so far A+, especially for $65.00
Old 03-31-18, 05:31 PM
Photok

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I'm quite liking it. A bit of learning curve w/ the chuck -

turns out that you don't need to push it on very far, yet it holds well.

the handle is aluminum but the end caps are plastic so they may need help to stay in place eventually.

It is tall & claims to put out 250 psi. I got 200 psi into a Tufo tire before it became

very hard to push the handle- the chuck didn't leak.

The gauge is large but 0-100 psi is only about 100˚ arc so numbers not easy to read.

Thought I'd use it longer before posting a review, but so far A+, especially for $65.00
Thanks, appreciate the response, I'll take a closer look! The sks gauge also made me realize I'll want something easy to read so that might be a deal breaker on the velowurks.
Old 03-31-18, 10:31 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by Photok
Thanks, appreciate the response, I'll take a closer look! The sks gauge also made me realize I'll want something easy to read so that might be a deal breaker on the velowurks.
The gauge is 3" ⌀, but since it reads to 250 psi, the part that you mostly use is 1/3 of the dial. It does have a moveable ring w/ a target dot.

The Airtool also has a 3" gauge but reads to 160 psi so the useful part is 1/2 the dial.

Might still be easier to read than the SKS
Old 04-01-18, 12:14 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
I think the Lezyne floor pump is the only one I actually threw into the trash.
lol. I ordered one once. Couldn't return it fast enough. A piece of junk...especially the chuck.
Old 04-03-18, 06:30 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Campag4life
lol. I ordered one once. Couldn't return it fast enough. A piece of junk...especially the chuck.
I love my Lezyne ALLOY OVER DRIVE pump. Use it every day. Love the chuck. Very well made pump.
Old 04-03-18, 07:49 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by timsmcm
I love my Lezyne ALLOY OVER DRIVE pump. Use it every day. Love the chuck. Very well made pump.
junk
Old 04-04-18, 07:33 AM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeneO
junk
I have used a lot of pumps over the years and the only pump better than the lezyne is silca. You sound like an angry kid not getting his way.
Old 04-04-18, 08:01 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I have used a lot of pumps over the years and the only pump better than the lezyne is silca. You sound like an angry kid not getting his way.
By far the worst pump I have ever used, even compared to a Joe Blow. Just don't want other people to waste their money. All it is to me is looks nice sitting there - for $80.
Old 04-04-18, 08:12 PM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the steel floor drive, and it's been great for me. I can't imagine having to buy another pump unless I leave the country.
Old 04-04-18, 08:31 PM
Ball Bearing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Lezyne floor pumps look really nice - I own two of them - the problems concern the crappy chuck, the problem prone one way valve and the plunger that relies on an o-ring to produce air pressure.

One thing I credit my Lezyne floor pumps for is the decision to buy a Silca Ultimate Hiro pump. Damned expensive, but it will be the last pump I will ever need to buy, unless it is stolen.
Old 04-04-18, 08:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I won't buy another Specialized pump (issues with how that company operates) but their floor pump is simple, reliable, decently fast, the chuck is universal and easy and while I have never checked the gauge, I have never had reason to doubt that it was both close and consistent. It cost me roughly $40 15? years ago and works as good as when it was new.

When I replace it, I will measure the height and diameter and get a pump that is close. (60 strokes for the Leyzene? Zephal frame pumps are only 90. I wouldn't waste shop space to save thirty strokes.

Ben
Old 04-05-18, 12:50 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
. (60 strokes for the Leyzene?
I reported earlier it was 26 full strokes to fill an empty 25c tire to 110psi. Tested twice.
Old 04-05-18, 01:13 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I reported earlier it was 26 full strokes to fill an empty 25c tire to 110psi. Tested twice.
Not disputing you finding, but its easy enough to make a pump that does i an half that. However there is no free lunch. Now you need to press down twice as hard. This is determined by the area of the piston.
Old 04-05-18, 02:13 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ok, I like my Lezyne Classic Over Drive floor pump. I find it to be a good looking pump and its pretty accurate. I never thought that it didn't pump enough air into my tires. But not everything has been smooth sailing. I've had my pump for several years now and I am on my 3rd chuck. The original one started leaking after 2 or 3 years and it just couldn't hold the seal eventually. I replaced that chuck with the ABS2, which I thought was much easier to seal and remove. I was very happy with it until the ABS2 chuck started falling apart after 2-3 months. Really crappy cheap plastic internals. Then I went to replace it with the ABS1 which looks like the ABS2 but went back to the threaded design. So far the ABS1 has been working flawlessly.

The Lezyne is still my go to pump. Love the readability on the analog dial (I wouldn't want to worry about putting batteries for a digital display). If the chuck fails again, I may consider replacing the chuck with a Silca if possible. Otherwise, I'll look at another brand. Hope your Lezyne works out for you!
Old 04-05-18, 02:19 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Not disputing you finding, but its easy enough to make a pump that does i an half that. However there is no free lunch. Now you need to press down twice as hard. This is determined by the area of the piston.
Of course, but I was referring specifically to the Lyzene Steel drive. In my previous report I noted 26 easy pump strokes since it uses a relatively smaller dia piston compared to some other designs.
Old 04-09-18, 05:34 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I was recently researching the same question. Seems like lezyne went through 3 phases:
1. Original pump with original chuck. It worked fine. We'll call it Chuck_1.
2. New pump with new chuck. We'll call it Chuck_2. Lezyne though it would be great but instead they got a lot of hate about it.
3. Lezyne backtracks and goes back to Chuck_1 because of the negative feedback.

So personally I feel like perhaps some of the super negative opinions are about the Chuck_2 design.

I'm a bit torn - I'm tired of having the "lock on" style of pumps that need to be pulled and wriggled off the stem, eventually leading my stems to separate from the rest of the tube, forcing me to replace them. It's just a constant annoyance. When I looked at Lezyne pump at REI it seemed to do a good job of screwing on and off the stem without keeping a grip on the stem.
Old 04-09-18, 10:49 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I was recently researching the same question. Seems like lezyne went through 3 phases:
1. Original pump with original chuck. It worked fine. We'll call it Chuck_1.
2. New pump with new chuck. We'll call it Chuck_2. Lezyne though it would be great but instead they got a lot of hate about it.
3. Lezyne backtracks and goes back to Chuck_1 because of the negative feedback.

So personally I feel like perhaps some of the super negative opinions are about the Chuck_2 design.

I'm a bit torn - I'm tired of having the "lock on" style of pumps that need to be pulled and wriggled off the stem, eventually leading my stems to separate from the rest of the tube, forcing me to replace them. It's just a constant annoyance. When I looked at Lezyne pump at REI it seemed to do a good job of screwing on and off the stem without keeping a grip on the stem.
I bought the original steel drive specifically for the screw on chuck.

It takes a tiny bit of skill, but I've never broken a presta valve or torn a tube with it.

You'll need to replace the 5x2mm o-ring every year.

It's also advisable to tighten the valve cores or put a bit of blue Loctite on them.
Old 04-10-18, 11:45 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
I bought the original steel drive specifically for the screw on chuck.

It takes a tiny bit of skill, but I've never broken a presta valve or torn a tube with it.

You'll need to replace the 5x2mm o-ring every year.

It's also advisable to tighten the valve cores or put a bit of blue Loctite on them.
If it was really all that extra work and maintenance I'd go with something else that doesn't require it.

When I tried the pump at REI it seemed like it would be easier to use once you used it a couple of times. Seems like the hassle of trying to get a good connection with a push-on pump never goes away. My goal with the screw-on pump is to be more predictable and reliable. I went and looked at a high priced pump at freewheel that's brand new and had issues with putting on the chuck and you could still hear a slow leak. Hopefully the screw-on design will get away from that.

I'm guess most other pumps theoretically require replacing an o-ring or something though most people never actually do it. I certainly hope it's not worse or I'll have to go looking for a different pump next year.
Old 04-10-18, 11:51 AM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by paulrivers
i was recently researching the same question. Seems like lezyne went through 3 phases:
1. Original pump with original chuck. It worked fine. We'll call it chuck_1.
2. New pump with new chuck. We'll call it chuck_2. Lezyne though it would be great but instead they got a lot of hate about it.
3. Lezyne backtracks and goes back to chuck_1 because of the negative feedback.

So personally i feel like perhaps some of the super negative opinions are about the chuck_2 design.

I'm a bit torn - i'm tired of having the "lock on" style of pumps that need to be pulled and wriggled off the stem, eventually leading my stems to separate from the rest of the tube, forcing me to replace them. It's just a constant annoyance. When i looked at lezyne pump at rei it seemed to do a good job of screwing the valve core off the stem .

fify

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.