Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Make your own panniers

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Make your own panniers

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 11:02 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

These Coroplast rear panniers are 24 inches long, 19 inches wide at the front, tapering to 16 inches wide at the rear, & 16 inches deep, although only 12 inches below the height of the rack, with a 4 inch gunwale above rack height.

This bike received the older panniers, they were still in perfect condition.

I hope you can see the area left cambered back to avoid heel strike. The newer panniers have a better design that doesn’t need to be covered in duct tape. I learn from my mistakes, I hope by documenting my work, others can too.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 10-18-20, 03:56 AM
MMonde

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Not so much making panniers, I just found (trash) a plàstic bin that seemed fit to the purpose so i took it home and attached it to my rack.. I directly screwed it through with the rack screws, and works good.. I left JUST enough clearance to pedal, but I would like an inch or two more.. The problem is that positioning it towards the back of the rack, I fear the long bin flexing and touching the wheel, because my rack is not the Best for panniers.. (was from a Child seat actually), i might have to buy a better rack. So far is not flexing at all and i dont think another inch back would be a problem.. So I might reset it.. Same with hight, i would rather to keep the gravitiy center low, but maybe an inch up won't make a difference... İt has a nice sice and it's gonna bé my outdoor painting studio cargo!!. Now I'm modifying my daughter's unwanted méssanger bag to be able to h

ung from the other side.. I might just buy ortlieb hardware if I don't figure a better system... Anyway... Looks cool in matching color!
Old 10-18-20, 03:57 AM
MMonde

More photos...
Old 10-18-20, 03:59 AM
MMonde

And a couple more
Old 10-18-20, 04:24 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Heel strike is a major issue with homemade panniers. Everything looks fine and dandy in the shop, until the first test ride and it strikes your Achilles’ tendon , ouch.

My experience is limited, I haven’t built more than a dozen pannier sets. I say “sets” because I make the two panniers in one piece to straddle the rear rack. But I try to make improvements each time. My pannier building knowledge is based on my earlier experience building fairings. More on that later.

12 Volt LED Lighting System

I’ve found that with Coroplast, the panniers can extend past the rear wheel , on the inherent rigidity of the corrugated boards, and a Slow Moving Vehicle sign can be mounted.

Plan of the new Model 791R Tailbox

September 2020, I built a Tailbox, which my recumbent friends have been telling me to do. But I decided to make the bottom straddle the rack, the same way as my other pannier sets.
The pannier wells on each side are only 7” seven inches below the top of the rack, which avoids the heel strike problem. The sides are 14” fourteen inches higher than the top of the rack, for a total depth of 21” .
Old 10-18-20, 05:30 AM
MMonde

I regret not having grabbed more of those bins, there were three at least, and they were part of some storage system that someone put on the trash.. İf i had a couple more i could experiment and cut the bottom córner in an angle and then place some strong cordura nylon, or vinyl, fixed with screws and bolts...fot my canvas carrying purpose the squared bottom is perfect, but to travel i would rather to have more clearance, with the angled corner..