Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge 1030 Battery Display Issue

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 11:24 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I've been using my Edge 1030 for more than 2 years and been very happy with it. Just this week, I've started having an issue with the battery - I'll have it on the charger and it displays 100% charged; take it off the charger and it displays 33% charged. It looks like an issue with the battery level display and not the actual battery life available. I'm going to ride with it without charging for a week to test my theory.

Anybody else seeing somethin similar?

For reference, I ride nearly every day and only charge once a week.
Old 10-01-20, 12:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Not seen this, my 1030 is 3 years old I think. It's on the latest 10.2 OS as well.
Old 10-01-20, 08:30 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
The battery indicator has been buggy but not as bad as yours. Mine would charge up to 100% but then show 95% upon disconnect. On one occasion it was even stuck at 100% the whole time.
Old 10-02-20, 10:33 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have only had the issue of charging to 100% and then first ride right off its at 95%. I don't know what its actually at then but mine lasts with my setup for outdoors about 10 hours and indoor closer to 13 hours. So I don't get worked up about the 5% deal. Yours is much different so maybe the battery level sensor type deal? Hopefully its not the actually battery.
Old 10-03-20, 02:25 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
USB charge gauges are pretty cheap and useful.
They go inline and can assess cords , chargers and devices
$5-$10 from amazon , ebay and alibab. May be under Power meter tester, charge tester ,or USB tester
Helps you know if it's not taking a charge or not holding it.
I have had battery meters on devices be the squirrely element.
and bad power cords are a frequent question.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 10-06-20, 07:30 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by bikebikebike
USB charge gauges are pretty cheap and useful.
They go inline and can assess cords , chargers and devices
$5-$10 from amazon , ebay and alibab. May be under Power meter tester, charge tester ,or USB tester
Helps you know if it's not taking a charge or not holding it.
I have had battery meters on devices be the squirrely element.
and bad power cords are a frequent question.
I have to admit to being dumb ... I started searching a gauge, then realized I have this charger station tucked away under my monitor stand (only the cables pulled out).

Current update: I got a flu shot on Friday and it kicked my butt, I haven't done many miles since testing the battery life versus battery display. I'm going to run the 1030 to dead and charge again, and this time I'll have the display on my USB charge out from under my monitor stand to monitor.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-13-20, 07:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Update: I've used my 1030 for 6-1/2 hours of riding with the display reading 1% battery. That makes it clear to me that there's an issue with the 1030's battery display. I'll try some updates and possible a factory reset (I hate losing all my settings).
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-19-20, 07:42 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Looks like my Garmin 'recovered', I fully charged & connected to Garmin Express of updates before yesterday's 100-mile ride. The Garmin was outside for 8 hours in temps that never got above freezing - the Garmin displayed 95% charged when I rolled out and held up through the whole ride while other devices were running outta charge ... GoPro Hero 8 wasn't willing to work after an hour SMFH.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-19-20, 03:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The device is supposed to be smart enough to know when and when it shouldn't charge. The batteries charging temperature is supposed to be between 32°F to 113°F.

I doubt you put your Garmin in the freezer to charge, but maybe if you just came in from a cold ride and put it on charge then looked at it a minute later, maybe there is a glitch in what the indicator shows when it can't charge due to battery temp.

Are you really having those temps there? Brrrrrrr Keep them. I'm happy with the temps in the 80's this week and 70's next week.
Old 10-20-20, 08:17 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Iride01
The device is supposed to be smart enough to know when and when it shouldn't charge. The batteries charging temperature is supposed to be between 32°F to 113°F.

I doubt you put your Garmin in the freezer to charge, but maybe if you just came in from a cold ride and put it on charge then looked at it a minute later, maybe there is a glitch in what the indicator shows when it can't charge due to battery temp.

Are you really having those temps there? Brrrrrrr Keep them. I'm happy with the temps in the 80's this week and 70's next week.
Yes, the cold is challenging for electronics - I've tested my tech at temps down to -30F (nothing likes those temps, not one thing).

For this thread, Sunday was the first freezing ride of the season. This issue was likely a glitch that may have fixed itself or been a patch ... not sure but happy to see the display working correctly again.

BTW - we have 4-6 inches of snow in the forecast for today. It'll be fun to get the fatbike on snow for the first time since Easter. Minnesota isn't for the winter wimps.
Old 10-20-20, 03:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
BTW - we have 4-6 inches of snow in the forecast for today. It'll be fun to get the fatbike on snow for the first time since Easter. Minnesota isn't for the winter wimps.
Keep it up there!

I used to love winters and especially the snow as I spent my first eight years where it was plentiful in Chicago IL and Lebanon MO. However somethings changed the last few years. Can't stand the cold anymore. I'm ready to move down to some island in the extreme southern Caribbean. Just can't convince the wife. Much less that I'd ever convince her to live on a sailboat and cruise with me.
Likes For Iride01: