Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Klein Quantum Race - Deal at $250?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 08:59 AM
drewcus

Bikes: Crew Ace w/ goodies

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Klein Quantum Race - Deal at $250?

My first post!

Hey everyone! My knowledge and experience with road bikes are limited. I've been debating on buying what appears to be a 2000 Klein Quantum Race. The seller doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it including the size or year. I asked for more information to get an idea for size and he replied with:

"My inseam is 32. I'm 5"10 and I can almost stand flat footed over the frame. Bike rides great. In great shape for its age. I was riding 30+ miles per day most the summer on it with no issues. Has a minor squeak in the neck but I never had it looked at because it didn't affect it's performance. It's aluminum frame with carbon fiber fork and rear. Super light weight. Has a new bontrager seat, bar tape is great and tires are in good shape (gator skin Continentals)."

I don't think this actually has a carbon fiber fork but I'm assuming ignorance rather than trying to scam me.

My questions are:
  1. Is this bike worth $250 (firm)? Its not one of the really colorful/desirable paint jobs and the seller is nearly 2 hours away from me so I want to make sure its worth the trip
  2. Can this bike be easily/cheaply modified to be a comfortable ride (riding posture, seat suspension, etc.)? I'm looking to exercise more than race or go super fast
  3. If this bike doesn't really fit my needs (or me), would it be difficult to re-sale to someone else and at least get what I paid?
  4. Are the any other questions I should ask the seller to determine its quality and worth (or if this is a scam)? e.g. like is the size labeled on the frame that I could ask about

Sorry, I'm not allowed to post urls or photos bc I'm too new to the forum. Here are links to the photos:
images.craigslist
.org/00l0l_a6jcRsb09p_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg
images.craigslist
.org/00d0d_3Vb1LiQgmGo_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

Thanks!
Drewcus
Old 10-07-20, 09:14 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by drewcus
My first post!

Hey everyone! My knowledge and experience with road bikes are limited. I've been debating on buying what appears to be a 2000 Klein Quantum Race. The seller doesn't seem to know a whole lot about it including the size or year. I asked for more information to get an idea for size and he replied with:

"My inseam is 32. I'm 5"10 and I can almost stand flat footed over the frame. Bike rides great. In great shape for its age. I was riding 30+ miles per day most the summer on it with no issues. Has a minor squeak in the neck but I never had it looked at because it didn't affect it's performance. It's aluminum frame with carbon fiber fork and rear. Super light weight. Has a new bontrager seat, bar tape is great and tires are in good shape (gator skin Continentals)."

I don't think this actually has a carbon fiber fork but I'm assuming ignorance rather than trying to scam me.

My questions are:
  1. Is this bike worth $250 (firm)? Its not one of the really colorful/desirable paint jobs and the seller is nearly 2 hours away from me so I want to make sure its worth the trip
  2. Can this bike be easily/cheaply modified to be a comfortable ride (riding posture, seat suspension, etc.)? I'm looking to exercise more than race or go super fast
  3. If this bike doesn't really fit my needs (or me), would it be difficult to re-sale to someone else and at least get what I paid?
  4. Are the any other questions I should ask the seller to determine its quality and worth (or if this is a scam)? e.g. like is the size labeled on the frame that I could ask about

Sorry, I'm not allowed to post urls or photos bc I'm too new to the forum. Here are links to the photos:
images.craigslist
.org/00l0l_a6jcRsb09p_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg
images.craigslist
.org/00d0d_3Vb1LiQgmGo_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg

Thanks!
Drewcus
yes its a deal -- bike has veruy nice wheelset, looks in good condition from the pics and Kleins are highly regarded. Fork likely is carbon fiber as well. parts appear to be Shimano Ultegra , which are very good

Its worth it if it fits you

Someone has already modified it with a comfort rise stem and what looks like a relatively wide seat

The bike appears to be a 58 cm frame if i am eyeballing it correctly - ideal height for a bike this size is likely minimum 5'9 and max of 6'1 or so
Old 10-07-20, 09:27 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
A Klein is not what you are looking for if you're after a cushy ride, and doubly so if you have to compromise on fit.

Is it worth the money? If I found one in decent shape in my size, yes I'd pay $250, tear it down and slap some nicer stuff on it.

Whether you could easily flip it depends entirely on what you do to it before you find out it doesn't fit (your needs).

If you're the same size as its current owner you're better off looking elsewhere because the bike's way too big for him.
Old 10-07-20, 09:30 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
They should give you $50 off for not posting a drive-side photo.

Old 10-07-20, 11:31 AM
drewcus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
yes its a deal -- bike has veruy nice wheelset, looks in good condition from the pics and Kleins are highly regarded. Fork likely is carbon fiber as well. parts appear to be Shimano Ultegra , which are very good

Its worth it if it fits you

Someone has already modified it with a comfort rise stem and what looks like a relatively wide seat

The bike appears to be a 58 cm frame if i am eyeballing it correctly - ideal height for a bike this size is likely minimum 5'9 and max of 6'1 or so
Thanks for the info! Maybe if its already modified for comfort, I'll have to less to do it. I'm also 6'0 so if you're right about the size, it could be a good fit.

I couldn't actually find official information on the forks being carbon. Looks like blue book says Icon Air Rail, which is carbon. Here's the catalog page:
vintage-trek
.com/Trek-Fisher-Klein-Lemond/2000klein.pdf

Last edited by drewcus; 10-07-20 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Corrected information
Old 10-07-20, 11:36 AM
drewcus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
If you're the same size as its current owner you're better off looking elsewhere because the bike's way too big for him.
Thanks!
I'm hoping that bc I'm larger than (6'0) the seller, that it'll actually fit me better.
Old 10-07-20, 11:39 AM
drewcus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
They should give you $50 off for not posting a drive-side photo.

Haha! I'll ask for more pictures and see about posting them here.
Old 10-07-20, 11:51 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by drewcus
if its already modified for comfort, I'll have to less to do it. I'm also 6'0 so if you're right about the size, it could be a good fit.

df
ITs ballpark for someone your height for sure --- and the tires on it appear to likely be about as large as you can get on there

Good luck if you decide to go look at it !
Old 10-08-20, 10:42 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Good deal on a nice bike, but you might want to swap out those Rolf's.
Old 10-08-20, 10:56 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
If it looks as good as the pictures reflect, great deal (IMO).
Old 10-08-20, 12:23 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Rolf's often get a bad wrap....not sure it is always warranted, check the hubs for cracks especially since these are the comp versions (fewer spokes), and if good then buy, it ride, it, and enjoy it.
Best, Ben
Old 10-08-20, 07:32 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
It is weird, but there same bike with same picture it is posted on Facebook, Clyde, OH
2010 Klein Quantum Pro
Old 10-08-20, 08:36 PM
drewcus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marius.suiram
It is weird, but there same bike with same picture it is posted on Facebook, Clyde, OH
2010 Klein Quantum Pro
Not so weird actually. The craigslist posting is Clyde OH as well. 2010 is not even possible for a Klein as you probably know. Do you mind posting a link to the FB page (or dm)?
Old 11-20-20, 09:16 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Did you end up buying the Klein? I’m curious as to how it fit. Someone commented the frame looked too big for the seller, but by the way it was set up with that raised and extended stem, I’d guess it was too small. I’m 5-10 and I find Kleins in that size are just right for racing but too small for longer rides.
Old 11-20-20, 09:17 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Did you end up buying the Klein? I’m curious as to how it fit. Someone commented the frame looked too big for the seller, but by the way it was set up with that raised and extended stem, I’d guess it was too small. I’m 5-10 and I find Kleins in that size are just right for racing but too small for longer rides.
Old 11-20-20, 09:22 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

...you likely already figured this out but, yes, definitely an carbon fork (w aluminum steerer). Only real advantage of the late version Race is that they finally upgraded the build to a 1 1/8 fork—it makes refitting the bike so much easier.
Old 11-20-20, 10:20 AM
drewcus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
No, the seller kept changing his availability to meet. Last attempt to schedule a time he informed me that he sold it. Pretty annoying but not unusual when dealing with craigslist sellers. I'm kinda bummed bc it was a beautiful bike and a great price.

Ended up buying a new aluminum track bike in 58cm and it fits perfectly. Not all the components are great on it but I've already started on upgrades.
Old 11-21-20, 10:03 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Nice!—you gotta love the responsiveness of an aluminum track/fixie—light and stiff. Kleins make great road bikes—also very light and responsive—so if you get another shot at one give it a try.
Old 04-28-21, 11:54 PM
bfrasersmith

Bikes: 2017 Pivot Switchblade Carbon 29 mountain bike, 2001 Viner T10 Pro Team road bike, DiFalco Fabrications Custom Handbuilt Bike, 1998 Schwinn S-10 All-Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry!

Sorry, this is not polite to do, but I need to have at least 10 posts to submit photos to a posting on this forum. My posting here is not helpful. My apologies.