Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

GPS Options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 02:34 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
GPS Options?

Hi folks,
I'm seeking a satellite GPS for my bike that will provide the same features as google maps on my smart phone: maps of US locations that are regularly updated (preferably without a fee), the ability to program destinations in the form of street addresses and change them on the fly, turn-by-turn directions, touch screen, long battery life. Would the Garmin Edge 1030 meet my criteria? Is there an older version of the device I could find used that would do the same stuff at a lower price?
Old 10-25-20, 04:42 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Hammerhead Karoo, if you're not in a hurry.
Android, free maps, reasonable touch screen routing, great screen can take a SIM card
Consider switching to an older inexpensive cell phone or a car GPS. something that you don't plan to last forever.
There is no magic answer , but inexpensive cell phone may be the best given your specifics, other than battery life.
though the monthly is a factor. an older Garmin 1000 series used, maybe.
Battery life is a product of screen size and age of the device.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 10-25-20 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-25-20, 05:00 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike
Hammerhead Karoo, if you're not in a hurry.
Android, free maps, reasonable touch screen routing, great screen can take a SIM card
Consider switching to an older inexpensive cell phone or a car GPS. something that you don't plan to last forever.
There is no magic answer , but inexpensive cell phone may be the best given your specifics, other than battery life.
though the monthly is a factor. an older Garmin 1000 series used, maybe.
Battery life is a product of screen size and age of the device.
Thanks for responding. Am I correct in believing that the Hammerhead doesn't have a built-in satellite GPS receiver? (I'm seeking that feature)
Old 10-25-20, 05:06 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by BROOKLINEBIKER
Hi folks,
I'm seeking a satellite GPS for my bike that will provide the same features as google maps on my smart phone: maps of US locations that are regularly updated (preferably without a fee), the ability to program destinations in the form of street addresses and change them on the fly, turn-by-turn directions, touch screen, long battery life. Would the Garmin Edge 1030 meet my criteria? Is there an older version of the device I could find used that would do the same stuff at a lower price?
Yes, the 1030 will do what you want. The current version is the 1030 Plus, it's near $600, but there are sales on the older 1030 for low $400's (Amazon at $440). That's a good price on a very good unit. The Garmin Edge 830 is somewhat smaller, somewhat newer, smaller screen, also not on sale currently so $400. If you want to view maps, the larger the screen the better, touch screen as well makes it easier to pan and zoom a map. Prices on cycling GPS's tend to start at around $240. If you don't need any performance metrics (Power, Workouts) the Edge Explore is almost the size of the 1030, is designed for the touring market and is $240. Then there are Wahoo units, as well as Hammerhead as Bikeetc....mentioned, but that's not yet available as the Karoo 2 and knowing Hammerhead, it'll likely be 6 mos.

As note as to the Garmins. One of the rock solid features is the ability to use an online route creation program such as Kamoots or RideWithGPS to create a route to download to the device. This feature works really well and is reason enough to put up (sometimes) with Garmins quirks

EDIT: Hammerhead does have a built in GPS. I think the only cycling unit that didn't was a discontinued Wahoo unit whose name escapes me. The Edge 130/530/830 and 1030 series all have GPS built in, they do not require a phone to function.
Old 10-25-20, 05:18 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes, the 1030 will do what you want. The current version is the 1030 Plus, it's near $600, but there are sales on the older 1030 for low $400's (Amazon at $440). That's a good price on a very good unit. The Garmin Edge 830 is somewhat smaller, somewhat newer, smaller screen, also not on sale currently so $400. If you want to view maps, the larger the screen the better, touch screen as well makes it easier to pan and zoom a map. Prices on cycling GPS's tend to start at around $240. If you don't need any performance metrics (Power, Workouts) the Edge Explore is almost the size of the 1030, is designed for the touring market and is $240. Then there are Wahoo units, as well as Hammerhead as Bikeetc....mentioned, but that's not yet available as the Karoo 2 and knowing Hammerhead, it'll likely be 6 mos.

As note as to the Garmins. One of the rock solid features is the ability to use an online route creation program such as Kamoots or RideWithGPS to create a route to download to the device. This feature works really well and is reason enough to put up (sometimes) with Garmins quirks

EDIT: Hammerhead does have a built in GPS. I think the only cycling unit that didn't was a discontinued Wahoo unit whose name escapes me. The Edge 130/530/830 and 1030 series all have GPS built in, they do not require a phone to function.
Hi Steve,
Thanks, the Edge Explore sounds like a possibility. Will it give turn by turn directions? Can I program directions directly from the explore or will I need to synch it to a smartphone first?
Old 10-25-20, 07:40 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Hi Steve,
Thanks, the Edge Explore sounds like a possibility. Will it give turn by turn directions? Can I program directions directly from the explore or will I need to synch it to a smartphone first?
Yes, pretty much all these units can give turn-by-turn instructions. Theres’s a built in capability to the units where you can designate an address or marker on the on-screen map and let the device create a course. That’s typically a hit or miss proposition though as the unit sometimes makes mediocre choices as to a route good for a bike. Thus most folks use an online course creating program such as RWGPS, Strava, Kamoots, or even the Garmin Connect site, which does a very good job letting you draw out a route to follow.

Typically and on the Garmins and Wahoos, the device connects to a smartphone via a BlueTooth connection, with an app on the phone. The phone app can then connect to the website based software and will allow a course you’ve created to be sent to the device. It’s a pretty painless process once you understand it. The way I use it is I’ll research a route in an area I’m unfamiliar with. I might use the street view on Google maps to look at what the road looks like in terms of having a shoulder, pavement, etc... I’ll then use RWGPS and draw a route for the distance I want to ride, I might do some options for different distances, labeling each as a different route. I’ll then have the routes sent to the device and I will start one. If I choose to cut a ride short, I’ll stop a route and start the shorter route. The device will ask me if I want to navigate to the start and I’ll say No. It’ll then figure out my position and start a TBT from that point to the finish. There’s also an option should you just be riding a wandering course and want to return the same way, you just start a navigation for “return to start, follow existing route”, and it will TBT a back track to the start.

The Explore is a good unit at a good price. You can get an app for the Explore called RouteCourse (it’s called an “iQ” app, available for free on the Garmin iQ store) which uses a BT to your phone and cell data to query your saved routes on RWGPS to download to the device. It’s pretty painless. RideWithGPS is free as BTW for a lot of their functions.

Last edited by Steve B.; 10-25-20 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 04:58 AM
Capricorn2
Banned.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tell me which GPS is right for a beginner? I mean that the interface is not very complex and only internal functions. In order not to be distracted by unnecessary)
Old 10-26-20, 07:45 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Capricorn2
Tell me which GPS is right for a beginner? I mean that the interface is not very complex and only internal functions. In order not to be distracted by unnecessary)
What do you mean by "only internal functions" ?.

The Edge Explore ($250) is a good unit and decent price, especially if you will use for navigating and want on-screen maps. Otherwise an Edge 530, which is smaller, uses buttons in place of the touch screens on other models but not as good for navigation, $300. Or a Wahoo Bolt, $230.
Old 10-26-20, 08:02 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What do you mean by "only internal functions" ?.

The Edge Explore ($250) is a good unit and decent price, especially if you will use for navigating and want on-screen maps. Otherwise an Edge 530, which is smaller, uses buttons in place of the touch screens on other models but not as good for navigation, $300. Or a Wahoo Bolt, $230.
so far the edge has outdone navigation then my 1030. I had the 1030 tell me after I passed a road to turn and it kept telling to to turn the wrong way. the explore has been one of the more reliable garmins I have had.
Old 10-26-20, 11:17 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Am I correct in believing that the Hammerhead doesn't have a built-in satellite GPS receiver? (I'm seeking that feature)
they have GPS with GPS, GLONASS and Cellular-triangulation (A-GPS) at present in K1, K2 will have 2G,3Gand4G phone capacity, K1 has 2G, 3G.
Accuracy in GPS is variable in all devices , based on satellites uses and sample rate. Much debateded, but if you are not planting fence posts, probably not critical.
Guys who found their century to be measured at 99.8 km/miles are the only ones very distressed.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 10-26-20 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-04-20, 02:32 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Lezyne (Mega-XL, etc.), Bryton (450, 830), and IGPSport (igp618) all have GPS units with OSM maps in the $150-$200 range
Old 11-05-20, 03:57 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Lezyne (Mega-XL, etc.), Bryton (450, 830), and IGPSport (igp618) all have GPS units with OSM maps in the $150-$200 range
How easy are they to use relative to the Garmin Edge Explore? How robust are they mechanically in terms of surviving the beating they'll get from outdoor cycling?
Old 11-05-20, 04:30 PM
Steve B.

How easy are they to use relative to the Garmin Edge Explore? How robust are they mechanically in terms of surviving the beating they'll get from outdoor cycling?
Can't speak as to function, but know that no GPS cycling computer is "rugged" in any meaningful way. They can be waterproof, but they really are not designed to take hits. Is why many mt. bikers do not use the mount that places the device in front of the handlebar (where it's easier to see), instead mount over the stem. The theory is don't put the unit in harms way. The Garmin's do come with a tether that is used to keep the unit attached to the bike if the mount breaks. The Garmin's and Wahoo's use a similar tab system on the bottom of the unit, with a 1/4 turn bracket to keep the device on the mount. Those tabs for the device bracket can get broken, but there are ways to fix it if that happens. I personally have had a lot of falls on my mt. bike and have never damaged the GPS, YMMV.

I would recommend doing a Google search for reviews and users experiences of the Lezyne and Brytons. I've read less than positive comments about the Brytons, mostly good about the Lezynes excepting that they rarely provide bug fixes or updates. As well neither provides the same lever of additional functionality interfacing with 3rd party activity tracking and route and navigation development, from my own research. Your call as to how that might be important or not.
Old 11-07-20, 02:57 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
The manuals are available online. They all look pretty similar, given the functions (that is, there's nothing about using a touchscreen unless the unit has a touchscreen).

BTW, the damned wind does give clues this time of year, at least in some areas ... the leaves show which way the wind is blowing.