Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Vintage W German lights on 70’s Schwinn World

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 11-02-20, 07:19 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Bikes: Bertin, Ross Mt Hood; Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts

Hi,
Would anyone know how I can get the light bulbs out of a set of vintage lights? Specifically, a set of W German lights (pics attached) on a vintage Schwinn World Sport from the 70’s. I’m trying to determine why the bulbs stopped lighting after working on a couple of brief test rides.

My neighbor gave me the bike and I’d like to put the lights on another vintage bike.

To test, I connected the dynamo to a flashlight lightbulb and the bulb came on. Next, I’d like to see whether the bulbs blew out. However, I can’t figure out how to get the bulbs out of the housings. I remove the screw from the black plastic part behind the chrome housing. However, it won’t come off - it twists right and left only a slight bit but holds fast. I don’t want to break it.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 11-03-20, 05:11 AM
gilesa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
I think you are doing the right thing, but it needs more force. I have the same lamp (Union K10709) and the black part comes out with a small anti-clockwise twist. Mine is also stiff so it is probably intentional, to prevent rattling. My dynamo also looks like yours. If is is the same model, the roller unscrews after removing the lock-nut and a drop of oil made it run more smoothly. It polished up nicely. The lamp is pretty good with a halogen bulb, but I plan to put in an LED.
Old 11-03-20, 11:28 AM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by gilesa
I think you are doing the right thing, but it needs more force. I have the same lamp (Union K10709) and the black part comes out with a small anti-clockwise twist. Mine is also stiff so it is probably intentional, to prevent rattling. My dynamo also looks like yours. If is is the same model, the roller unscrews after removing the lock-nut and a drop of oil made it run more smoothly. It polished up nicely. The lamp is pretty good with a halogen bulb, but I plan to put in an LED.
Gilesa,
Thank you for your quick response! OK. Perfect. I will give it a try.
Old 11-08-20, 07:25 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I'd suggest exploring the led conversion too.
Old school dynamo lighting was notorious for blowing bulbs.
Even low powered dynamos will power modern led bulbs.
Before I went with a modern dyno-hub, I utilised a vintage Sturmey Archer GH-6 dynohub and Edelux headlight.
Night and day performance compared to old school "globe" lighting and no blowing the bulbs.
www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/index.php?page=history-detail&id=62

Lots of info on the web
Google should help,,,,,, Yip I just had a squiz and there appears to be heaps like https://www.bertinclassiccycles.wordp...n-bike-lights/

Good luck

Last edited by rifraf; 11-08-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 06:29 PM
Mdl
Montedino

Originally Posted by rifraf
I'd suggest exploring the led conversion too.
Old school dynamo lighting was notorious for blowing bulbs.
Even low powered dynamos will power modern led bulbs.
Before I went with a modern dyno-hub, I utilised a vintage Sturmey Archer GH-6 dynohub and Edelux headlight.
Night and day performance compared to old school "globe" lighting and no blowing the bulbs.
www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/index.php?page=history-detail&id=62

Lots of info on the web
Google should help,,,,,, Yip I just had a squiz and there appears to be heaps like https://www.bertinclassiccycles.wordp...n-bike-lights/

Good luck
OK. Thanks I will try LED bulbs. I’ve been looking online. Going to order a pair today.

Thanks also to Gilesa. I sprayed a little WD-40 at the junction of the plastic and the chrome and let it sit overnight. It worked like a charm.
I’m attaching pictures now.