Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

B&M Cyo Premium senso plus problem

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 02:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts

This is a dynamo headlight. it comes with a pair of wires that go to the dynamo, and another pair to connect the tail light. So the power to the taillight comes through the headlight.

Well, my taillight is working fine. Headlight not at all.

So my question is, is there any way the wiring is at fault? i don't see how. I fear my headlight is FUBAR. Bummer, 'cuz it's barely a half year old.

Advice?
Old 11-09-20, 03:11 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
If you remove this bolt on the underside you can check the internals. Could be a loose wire or a short circuit. You'll see soon enough when you pop it out.

Remove the bolt, take out the heatsink and then pull out the transparent lens to access the pcb.

Looks like your light catches a lot of water from the wheel. Worst case scenario you can send it to Laempie.de to have the internals swapped for an upgraded version.

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-09-20 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-09-20, 07:23 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
What is the warranty status? If on warranty, that is probably your best option.

If your headlight is not working and your taillight is working, I suggest you disconnect the taillight until you get the headlight fixed.

Taillights are not designed to take all the power from a dynohub, thus if you ride fast, you could blow out the circuits in your talilight if the headlight is not keeping the voltage level down. That way, once you get your headlight problems solved, you would have a functioning taillight ready to be hooked up.
Old 11-09-20, 08:10 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,697 Times in 2,518 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If your headlight is not working and your taillight is working, I suggest you disconnect the taillight until you get the headlight fixed.
Taillights are not designed to take all the power from a dynohub, thus if you ride fast, you could blow out the circuits in your talilight if the headlight is not keeping the voltage level down.
I agree with disconnecting the taillight to make troubleshooting easier. I would do that before dissembling the light. You can wire one light backwards, but if the taillight is grounded to the frame and the headlight is grounded to the frame, you might have both sides of the feed grounded to the frame. Okay, I know what I just said probably wouldn't produce light, but humor me.

There is a list on Peter White's site of taillights that work okay by themselves, so we don't know if Rudi's light is on that list or not.
Old 11-09-20, 09:11 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Yeah it depends on the taillight being used. I believe most of B+Ms modern offerings are made with overvoltage protection built in. At the very least the Secula Plus I run on virtually all my bikes.
Old 11-09-20, 10:46 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!
@JaccoW, I will try what you suggest. For what it's worth, the light was wet when I took the photo above because I had just washed a lot of dirt off the bike. I did indeed ride through some torrential rain last week! But the dirt wasn't on the light, which is well off to the side of the wheel, and the bike has fairly good mudguards. I rather doubt water was an issue, but what do I know.

I did disconnect the taillight for troubleshooting; I couldn't make the light work no matter what I did. Re the taillight, it is supposed to be an AXA Basta, is a cheap Chinese thing and I'm quite happy with it. Judging by the price, I would not be surprised if it's a knockoff. Here's the best photo I have:

Re warranty status, I bought the headlight about two years ago, but didn't put it on a bike until March of this year. I have emailed the seller.

My commute is now 100% dark, so first priority was to get the lights working ASAP, so I swapped the headlight out for another unit, same model but several years older. It plugged it in and it worked no problem; so I think my wiring is okay.

Last edited by rhm; 11-09-20 at 11:06 AM.
Likes For rhm: