Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Can you charge a Garmin RTL-515 with a Generator System?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 07:14 PM
morrisond

Bikes: The ones this month or last month?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm think ing of incorporating a Garmin rear radar and Generator into my next bike.

It will drive me nuts if I have to always charge the Garmin.

How do I wire it up to keep it charged?

Will the Rear battery feed off an Edulux or Supernova E3

USB output off a Sinewave Beacon?

Or are none of them strong enough to charge it and just use something like an Cinq 5 Plus in the head tube as extra battery?

Thanks
Old 11-09-20, 07:11 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I am not familiar with the Garmin you cite.

While rolling, my SP PV8 dynohub and Sinewave Revolution will put out about 2.5 watts of power, none when stopped and less on slow uphills. I generally assume I am getting about 2 watts on average when on fairly flat ground when you average out the stop lights and stop signs. Hilly terrain where I might have a lot of slow riding up hills, I might average 1 watt. I feed that power straight into a pass through cache battery.

Some devices are picky about their power source, for example I can not charge my Garmin 64 GPS straight off of the Sinewave, I have to put the Sinewave power into the pass through cache battery, and then draw the power from that battery to feed into my GPS. The pass through cache battery I use is a fairly large power bank in my handlebar bag.

I know I did not answer your question, you need to find out if your Garmin can take a charge while it is in operation, and what wattage it takes.

If you operate a light on your dynohub, you should assume that the light is consuming all the power with none left over for USB charging. You might get a little power out of the USB, but it won't be much and would require you maintain good speed.

Keep in mind that if you ride in the rain, most USB circuits are not designed for that.

I try to be self sufficient when bike touring, thus my power generation capability, sometimes I go many days without access to an outlet. If you have access to a power outlet every day, that might be simpler and cheaper. If your Garmin battery will not last for the ride, maybe a power bank that can add power to it?
Old 11-09-20, 10:27 AM
morrisond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I am not familiar with the Garmin you cite.

While rolling, my SP PV8 dynohub and Sinewave Revolution will put out about 2.5 watts of power, none when stopped and less on slow uphills. I generally assume I am getting about 2 watts on average when on fairly flat ground when you average out the stop lights and stop signs. Hilly terrain where I might have a lot of slow riding up hills, I might average 1 watt. I feed that power straight into a pass through cache battery.

Some devices are picky about their power source, for example I can not charge my Garmin 64 GPS straight off of the Sinewave, I have to put the Sinewave power into the pass through cache battery, and then draw the power from that battery to feed into my GPS. The pass through cache battery I use is a fairly large power bank in my handlebar bag.

I know I did not answer your question, you need to find out if your Garmin can take a charge while it is in operation, and what wattage it takes.

If you operate a light on your dynohub, you should assume that the light is consuming all the power with none left over for USB charging. You might get a little power out of the USB, but it won't be much and would require you maintain good speed.

Keep in mind that if you ride in the rain, most USB circuits are not designed for that.

I try to be self sufficient when bike touring, thus my power generation capability, sometimes I go many days without access to an outlet. If you have access to a power outlet every day, that might be simpler and cheaper. If your Garmin battery will not last for the ride, maybe a power bank that can add power to it?
Apparently it can take a charge while being used. It is the Rear Tail light Radar.

I'm thinking of wiring it into the rear light wire that comes off an Edulux or Supernova. Apparently those supply about .3W at 5 Volts. They also have a capacitor inside them for keeping the rear light from going dark when stopped which keep the charging from cycling on and off.

The Varia RTL can be charged by a Computers USB and it takes a USB about 6 hours to charge the device. I think the battery inside the Varia is 1,500 MaH.

The battery lasts for up to 16 hours in day flash and 6 hours solid at night.

Will that rate of charge make a dent in terms of extending the life of the battery charge - so that night will last longer than 6 hours then when I get back to daytime switch back to flash and gain some in charging?

It could be wired so that when the front light is off during the day all 6W goes to the Varia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-09-20, 10:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I do not know enough about your system to be able to answer.
Old 11-09-20, 08:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's more complicated and more expensive to charge from a dynamo than you might expect. If you really need to because you're away from wall power for several days, the cost and trouble may be justified. Most of us have wall power near us every day. So the better bet is to get a USB charged battery and run a cable from that battery to your garmin. That's how I keep my phone charged while on the bike. The Anker E1 is a good battery and a little over $20. It can charge my phone several times.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-09-20, 08:34 PM
morrisond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
It's more complicated and more expensive to charge from a dynamo than you might expect. If you really need to because you're away from wall power for several days, the cost and trouble may be justified. Most of us have wall power near us every day. So the better bet is to get a USB charged battery and run a cable from that battery to your garmin. That's how I keep my phone charged while on the bike. The Anker E1 is a good battery and a little over $20. It can charge my phone several times.
This is the Varia Rear Radar/Brake light. I'm trying to avoid having to take it off the bike at all and ever charge it. I would be running a wire from the front headlight and hiding it in the yet to be built frame.

Just trying to figure out if the Light will give it enough power or I have to run it off some thing like an Cinq 5.
Old 11-10-20, 06:02 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
I just tried mine to see if it would charge while it was on. It won't. It will either charge or run, not both at the same time. I tried this with both the RTL510 (gen 2) and the RTL315 (gen 3 radar but no light). If you plug it in while it's running, it quits charging. If you try to turn it on while it's charging, it won't.

So, it won't work and it won't matter how you hook it up.

J
Old 11-10-20, 07:59 PM
morrisond

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I just tried mine to see if it would charge while it was on. It won't. It will either charge or run, not both at the same time. I tried this with both the RTL510 (gen 2) and the RTL315 (gen 3 radar but no light). If you plug it in while it's running, it quits charging. If you try to turn it on while it's charging, it won't.

So, it won't work and it won't matter how you hook it up.

J
Thank you - very much appreciated - that saved me a lot of money.
Old 11-10-20, 08:38 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
My experience is the RTL gen2 won't work while charging.
Maybe just buy two? Charge on from a reserve battery while using the other.
My dynamo charger is a homemade affair build from a few diodes and caps, so I only trust to charge a reserve battery anyway.
Old 11-20-20, 05:57 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by morrisond
This is the Varia Rear Radar/Brake light. I'm trying to avoid having to take it off the bike at all and ever charge it. I would be running a wire from the front headlight and hiding it in the yet to be built frame.

Just trying to figure out if the Light will give it enough power or I have to run it off some thing like an Cinq 5.
It comes off easy. Easy for someone to steal. Unless you glue it too the bolted mount. Why don’t you want to take it off? Overnight ride?