Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official "Show off your Bianchi" thread

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official "Show off your Bianchi" thread

Old 11-25-20, 08:39 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by oceanhaitang
This is for both Bianchigirll and T-Mar

So, this is wrong?
https://2velo.com/bianchi-bicycle-catalog-80s/
or this one...?
https://saarf.london/2014/03/01/bian...dbike-catalog/

I believe you guys... you seem to have a wealth of Bianchi knowledge. Just wanna confirm?

So technical question... which model brake levers and rear derailleur do you think it is? I think the levers are first gen C-Record and the RD is Victory S3? And why was Victory groupset mixed with the C-Record levers and Syncro 2 shifters? Was that common practice by the manufacturer? I was thinking maybe they had some NOS lying around? Got the bike from the owner of my favorite LBS and he got it from a friend that passed away who bought it brand new. Was tuned and lubed by the owner of the LBS it’s whole lifetime and said those were the original parts
To my eye yes they are incorrect. The first website seems to have the a partial 1986 Bianchi USA catalog mixed with some pages from an '85 Japanese catalog but just calls it all '85. The catalog marked as an '86 appears to be a partial Bianchi USA for '88. The '87 and '88 ones seem OK but they are Japanese so I can't tell for sure, plus models vary by country.

As to the equipment on that beautiful Giro, the catalog doesn't specify exactly which version of a group they are using so.. I don't believe there was ever a aero brake lever for the Victory group so to get aero levers the C-Record ones were used. As to the Syncro levers CampI only made one set of index shifter so they were shared, and intended to actually work, with all groups. Looking at Velobase and Disraeli Gears it looks like the S3

It used to be very common at one time to mix groups and even manufacturers. Before shipman ruined everything in the late '80s making a complete group for every price point down to $300 dollars or so it was very common to see mixed set ups on bikes to meet a price point. For example while Bianchi's top model in '84 might sport all Super Record, the next bike might be mostly Nuovo Record but with a Super RD. The next bike down might use Nuovo Record drive train but Modolo brakes, Gipiemme hubs, headset post and pedal and so on and so on down the line.

That Argentine Limited is fabulous too, I miss my '88 Trofeo in that color scheme, a very unique looking Bianchi

I personalized mine with some longer cranks, Chorus brake levers, and Wellgo Celeste SPD pedals. I left the OEM Suntour derailleurs, Modolo brake calipers, and Miche hubs

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-26-20, 09:12 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by oceanhaitang
This is for both Bianchigirll and T-Mar

So, this is wrong?
https://2velo.com/bianchi-bicycle-catalog-80s/
or this one...?
https://saarf.london/2014/03/01/bian...dbike-catalog/

I believe you guys... you seem to have a wealth of Bianchi knowledge. Just wanna confirm?

So technical question... which model brake levers and rear derailleur do you think it is? I think the levers are first gen C-Record and the RD is Victory S3? And why was Victory groupset mixed with the C-Record levers and Syncro 2 shifters? Was that common practice by the manufacturer? I was thinking maybe they had some NOS lying around? Got the bike from the owner of my favorite LBS and he got it from a friend that passed away who bought it brand new. Was tuned and lubed by the owner of the LBS it’s whole lifetime and said those were the original parts
As noted by BG, the Giro page in the 1986 catalog on those two sites is actually from 1988. The pictured Bianchi logo style was used for the 1988 and 1989 model years but the presence of the round Campione del Mondo decal (more visible on the Limited) narrows that down to the 1988 model year. Also, Bianchi discontinued their Formula tubesets at the end of the 1988 model year.

Moreno Argentin won the road race at the 1986 World Championships riding a Bianchi. The World Championships typically take place around the end of August or beginning of September and that year the road race occurred on September 6. Because of these late dates, the World Champions' reign span two calendar years and if you examine Bianchi's Campione del Mondo decals from this era you'll see that they state 1986-1987.

Bianchi would have started building the 1987 models around September 1986 and placed a 1986-1987 Campione del Mondo decal prominently on the down tube, just above the shift levers. The decal was rectangular. When they started building the 1988 models in late 1987, they changed the shape to round, as seen in those catalogue pages.

As to the components, the shift levers are definitely Syncro II. First generation Syncro had a small 2nd lever to switch between friction and index modes. With Syncro II, you pull out and turn the knurled knob to set friction mode. Syncro and Syncro II were intended as an index panacea for Campagnolo rear derailleurs. They were meant to be used with any Campagnolo derailleur in production, even if it hadn't been designed for indexing. To that extent they were generic, however to make it work with a specific derailleur you had to choose from among several inserts. Some inserts were dedicated to one derailleur while others were intended for a family of derailleurs. In the case of Victory, the insert was also used with Triomphe, Super Record and C-Record, though there were different inserts depending on if you were using a 6 or 7 speed freewheel.

By 1988, you were hard pressed to sell a mid-range bicycle like the Giro without an indexed shifting. While they didn't invent indexed shifting, Shimano perfected it with 1985's New Dura-Ace. Then they trickled it down to the mid-range and entry levels in 1986 and it was a huge marketing success. Campagnolo was caught by surprise and forced to make a quick response. That's one of the reasons why Syncro and Syncro II were quasi-generic. Campagnolo could not afford the time to design and manufacture new indexed derailleurs and indexed lever sets matched for each group. With sales on the line, the most efficient, if not most effective approach, was to use existing derailleurs and design a generic lever with different inserts.

Regarding the brake levers, they are definitely not Victory, as they are not drilled with grip/lightening holes. As noted, there wasn't an optional Victory lever at this time and aero routing was gaining popularity, so they had to mix parts. They could be C-Record but by this time Campagnolo had also introduced aero levers for Chorus and Croce d'Aune. The latter are distinctive but I can't rule out Chorus.

The rear derailleur is definitely Victory S3 as it was the only version to feature the tampo/silkscreen logo.
Old 11-26-20, 03:02 PM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Bikes: 1988 Bianchi Giro with full Campagnolo Victory Groupset

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
[QUOTE=Bianchigirll;21806476]To my eye yes they are incorrect. The first website seems to have the a partial 1986 Bianchi USA catalog mixed with some pages from an '85 Japanese catalog but just calls it all '85. The catalog marked as an '86 appears to be a partial Bianchi USA for '88. The '87 and '88 ones seem OK but they are Japanese so I can't tell for sure, plus models vary by country.

As to the equipment on that beautiful Giro, the catalog doesn't specify exactly which version of a group they are using so.. I don't believe there was ever a aero brake lever for the Victory group so to get aero levers the C-Record ones were used. As to the Syncro levers CampI only made one set of index shifter so they were shared, and intended to actually work, with all groups. Looking at Velobase and Disraeli Gears it looks like the S3

It used to be very common at one time to mix groups and even manufacturers. Before shipman ruined everything in the late '80s making a complete group for every price point down to $300 dollars or so it was very common to see mixed set ups on bikes to meet a price point. For example while Bianchi's top model in '84 might sport all Super Record, the next bike might be mostly Nuovo Record but with a Super RD. The next bike down might use Nuovo Record drive train but Modolo brakes, Gipiemme hubs, headset post and pedal and so on and so on down the line.

That Argentine Limited is fabulous too, I miss my '88 Trofeo in that color scheme, a very unique looking Bianchi

I personalized mine with some longer cranks, Chorus brake levers, and Wellgo Celeste SPD pedals. I left the OEM Suntour derailleurs, Modolo brake calipers, and Miche hubs[/QUOTE

How’s that Chardonnay drinking?

Thanks for helping clarify that... helps a lot!
Old 11-26-20, 03:05 PM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Originally Posted by T-Mar
As noted by BG, the Giro page in the 1986 catalog on those two sites is actually from 1988. The pictured Bianchi logo style was used for the 1988 and 1989 model years but the presence of the round Campione del Mondo decal (more visible on the Limited) narrows that down to the 1988 model year. Also, Bianchi discontinued their Formula tubesets at the end of the 1988 model year.

Moreno Argentin won the road race at the 1986 World Championships riding a Bianchi. The World Championships typically take place around the end of August or beginning of September and that year the road race occurred on September 6. Because of these late dates, the World Champions' reign span two calendar years and if you examine Bianchi's Campione del Mondo decals from this era you'll see that they state 1986-1987.

Bianchi would have started building the 1987 models around September 1986 and placed a 1986-1987 Campione del Mondo decal prominently on the down tube, just above the shift levers. The decal was rectangular. When they started building the 1988 models in late 1987, they changed the shape to round, as seen in those catalogue pages.

As to the components, the shift levers are definitely Syncro II. First generation Syncro had a small 2nd lever to switch between friction and index modes. With Syncro II, you pull out and turn the knurled knob to set friction mode. Syncro and Syncro II were intended as an index panacea for Campagnolo rear derailleurs. They were meant to be used with any Campagnolo derailleur in production, even if it hadn't been designed for indexing. To that extent they were generic, however to make it work with a specific derailleur you had to choose from among several inserts. Some inserts were dedicated to one derailleur while others were intended for a family of derailleurs. In the case of Victory, the insert was also used with Triomphe, Super Record and C-Record, though there were different inserts depending on if you were using a 6 or 7 speed freewheel.

By 1988, you were hard pressed to sell a mid-range bicycle like the Giro without an indexed shifting. While they didn't invent indexed shifting, Shimano perfected it with 1985's New Dura-Ace. Then they trickled it down to the mid-range and entry levels in 1986 and it was a huge marketing success. Campagnolo was caught by surprise and forced to make a quick response. That's one of the reasons why Syncro and Syncro II were quasi-generic. Campagnolo could not afford the time to design and manufacture new indexed derailleurs and indexed lever sets matched for each group. With sales on the line, the most efficient, if not most effective approach, was to use existing derailleurs and design a generic lever with different inserts.

Regarding the brake levers, they are definitely not Victory, as they are not drilled with grip/lightening holes. As noted, there wasn't an optional Victory lever at this time and aero routing was gaining popularity, so they had to mix parts. They could be C-Record but by this time Campagnolo had also introduced aero levers for Chorus and Croce d'Aune. The latter are distinctive but I can't rule out Chorus.

The rear derailleur is definitely Victory S3 as it was the only version to feature the tampo/silkscreen logo.
Awesome information! I guess I have a pair of ‘88 Bianchi bikes to ride, tune, restore/customize... stoked! 🙏🏽
Likes For oceanhaitang:
Old 11-27-20, 12:33 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
What do you do when you have a black, made in Japan Bianchi Sport SS frame? You build it out however you like. Velo Orange wheelset and Polyvalent triple crankset from their Annapolis garage sale, Shimano 8 speed bar ends, Shimano mountain bike front and rear derailleurs, 11-32 cassette, VO threadless stem adapter with Deda Elementi short reach/drop handlebars, Tektro cross levers, 32mm Panaracer Gravel King tires, Tektro dual pivot side pulls, and Cateye Velo 7 wired bike computer. The red pedals are Wellgo M138 magnesium.

Likes For Paramount1973:
Old 11-27-20, 01:49 PM
oceanhaitang
Haleakalacraterlove

Originally Posted by Paramount1973
What do you do when you have a black, made in Japan Bianchi Sport SS frame? You build it out however you like. Velo Orange wheelset and Polyvalent triple crankset from their Annapolis garage sale, Shimano 8 speed bar ends, Shimano mountain bike front and rear derailleurs, 11-32 cassette, VO threadless stem adapter with Deda Elementi short reach/drop handlebars, Tektro cross levers, 32mm Panaracer Gravel King tires, Tektro dual pivot side pulls, and Cateye Velo 7 wired bike computer. The red pedals are Wellgo M138 magnesium.

Awesome build 🙌🏽
Old 11-27-20, 02:18 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Looks fabulous, how is the ride?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-27-20, 02:30 PM
Paramount1973 

Bikes: Schwinn Continental, Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn High Plains, Schwinn World Sport, Trek 420, Trek 930,Trek 660, Novara X-R, Giant Iguana. Fuji Sagres mixte.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Looks fabulous, how is the ride?
The frame has a surprising chainstay length of 460mm. The ride is smooth and comfortable.

Last edited by Paramount1973; 11-27-20 at 02:34 PM.
Likes For Paramount1973:
Old 01-10-21, 06:37 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
bump
just arrived minutes ago.
My 1st Celeste.
had to show it off.
good packing frameset + bits, Andy!

Stem choice pending, final wheels TBD, etc.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-10-21 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-10-21, 07:27 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 707 Posts
Wildwood Those Elite Ciussi cages are awesome. My favorite
Old 01-11-21, 01:41 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Originally Posted by malcala622
Wildwood Those Elite Ciussi cages are awesome. My favorite
An update. @AndyA is responsible for providing such wonderful cages, drillium, (smooth as glass) BB, headset.

below first mock-up with Weinmann delta brakes, black stem & post. Silver is traditional but this frame seems right for this set-up.

Not the final wheelset

Not the easiest to wire - but how much harder than Campa deltas could it be? Answer = TBD NOS and unusual is worth a go, eh. Note: Brake pads adjusted to rim with adjustable mounting height on brake bridge. In this pic brake just set on rear tire..

Aero hoods are matching Weinmann.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-11-21 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 01-17-21, 08:59 AM
kvnmuadib

Bikes: 79-80 derosa 80 merckx 89 peugeot dolomites 93 bianchi tsx

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
91/93 bianchi el fork

here mine.... oops dont how to get flickr acct. or facebook files
Old 01-22-21, 11:51 PM
Deadhead72

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My 1986 Limited

All stock as it came new, except for the stem and brake hoods - can’t find white ones. The free hub has a little wobble that I need to fix but otherwise this bike is in great shape has the ride is amazing.
Likes For Deadhead72:
Old 02-16-21, 03:24 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
New to me 1989 Campione d'Italia. It's a Craig's list buy. Not many miles on it, the seller said he bought a new bike in 2000 and this one sat for years. He had new brake levers put on it a couple of years ago and road it a little.

Likes For Jmpierce:
Old 02-16-21, 04:39 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 707 Posts
Jmpierce Nice CDI. I found those Bianchi saddles to be quite comfortable because of their width. Unfortunately mine separated at the back.
Likes For malcala622:
Old 02-16-21, 04:51 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
malcala622, thanks. Yes the saddle is very nice and doesn't have much wear. The original owner didn't like it so he took it off and rode something different.
Old 02-17-21, 07:01 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Great looking CdI.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-17-21, 02:27 PM
gesta

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 26 Posts

Bianchi Specialissima 1982

This is my semi-heretical feelgood bike in size 58 and boy, those 50mm deep clincher wheels made a difference to original Mavic GP4 tubulars both in ride feel and roadside-repairability.
Old 02-18-21, 08:52 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Ooo, just found this thread!

This one is my road bike. I *think* it's a late 80s Campione D'Italia, but I could very easily be wrong. It came to me as frame & fork, so the components are a mix of what I had around that felt right.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 02-18-21, 08:55 AM
BakinaRakija

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm going ever deeper down the rabbit hole with these threads, all these bikes are so much nicer than anything that's made today by major brands.
Old 02-18-21, 08:56 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

This one is my "mountain bike", a 1995-ish Nyala. I know exactly what it is, since I've owned it since it was new. It's been a faithful companion to me (and my son) through pretty much anything we could throw at it. The pic was taken in my basement 'cause it just got a few updates for the coming year. And it's cold and icy outside.
Likes For denaffen:
Old 02-18-21, 08:59 AM
denaffen

And this one isn't classic, but it's definitely got a classic vibe, and since we just got it we're excited to have it around in the stable. It's a Torino Dama. 2018-ish, I think. Hope you'll forgive me for adding a modern-era bike here.

Old 02-18-21, 09:13 AM
denaffen

The frame has a surprising chainstay length of 460mm. The ride is smooth and comfortable.
I renovated a Sport this past summer for a friend who's owned it since new. I think the one I was working on wasn't an SS. I know it was a lower end high tensile frame. Still it rode like a dream. Very, very smooth and comfortable. Really nice bike, and I very much enjoyed the short time it spent with me.

And my friend is very happy to have it back to like-new condition!
Old 02-18-21, 01:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by denaffen
Ooo, just found this thread!

This one is my road bike. I *think* it's a late 80s Campione D'Italia, but I could very easily be wrong. It came to me as frame & fork, so the components are a mix of what I had around that felt right.
What are the components?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-18-21, 02:17 PM
denaffen

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
What are the components?
It's a hodge-podge, since it came to me as a frame. Mostly Suntour Quattro stuff from a now-departed Bianchi, with some Shimano 600 and other bits mixed in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.