Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

So JUST how fast can you safely ride a bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

So JUST how fast can you safely ride a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 11:58 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Doing 32MPH on a narrow road with a little bridge and a curve at the bottom of the hill, can be a li'l scary. (Even though I've been riding that road virtually every time I ride, for years).
Ah good point as usual by @Stucky. It's not the speed only but also the terrain.

I remember having just gone clipless coming down a rolling hill at 25mph. Beautiful day and beautiful MUP around a lake. At the bottom of the hill there was a slight turn following by a blind sharp hairpin turn which butted directly onto the lake.

I literally screamed and some how managed to rip my cleats out of the clips. Otherwise I would have been at the bottom of that lake clipped into my 25 pound BD bike cursing all of you who suggested I go clipless whist I drowned.
Old 02-01-16, 02:44 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
...Context is what matters, not miles per hour.
Agreed.

I live at the foot of mountains--real mountains so I have a lot of opportunities to go fast. I'm a bigger guy so I can get things moving on a descent as well as most people, but I don't like to get too crazy. The fastest I've ever gone is 56mph, but I didn't like it.
The pro's amaze me. Sagan is the real deal. There is a very popular local descent that was part of the Tour of Utah a few years ago. I've hit 50mph on it--certainly could have gone faster if I had opened it up, but the wind can be scary gusty at times so 50mph is above my comfort zone. I watched on TV one ToU race where Levi Leipheimer was rolling down this same section of road quite casually, fiddling in his jersey pocket for something to eat. A moto rolled up next to him and clocked him at 63mph. He looked like he was barely paying attention. Geeeeze!!!
Old 02-01-16, 03:13 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I remember watching the TDF quite a few years ago and the commentators were talking about how some riders would prefer to ride clinchers rather than tubulars in the mountain stages. The theory being that on the descent all the braking heats up the rims which melts the glue holding the tubulars on which leads to bad things. I don't know if they still do it what with everyone running carbon fibre rims nowadays.

Mind you, last year at the Tour of Oman there was a spate of tyre failures that appeared to be due to overheating rims in a neutralized downhill section.

Technical FAQ: Hot tires and rims in Oman - VeloNews.com

So, maybe riding the brakes all the way down a hill because you're too scared of a little speed might not actually be the safest thing to do (or you should switch to disk brakes).
Old 02-01-16, 03:24 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Perhaps motorcycle experience helps, and I am sure the bike being ridden does as well.

Years ago ('97?) I built up this Trek 970 just for the Rosarita-Ensinata fun ride.

The last few miles are all downhill on a freeway-quality road with great banking and wide sweepers.

Hit an indicated 58 MPH (my buddy had a computer) and never stopped grinning the entire way...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rosarita - Trek.jpg (102.7 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by rmfnla; 02-01-16 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 03:26 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You can safely ride a bicycle 127 MPH. More is not recommended.

Trapist Monk José Meiffret The Fastest Cyclist In The World ? Velo Aficionado
Dibs on the 300SL...
Old 02-01-16, 05:22 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the recent Tour Downunder, the peloton averaged 105Kph on a stretch, with maximums of 130Kph mentioned, so they were up there.

Personally, I've managed 90Kph on my road bike on a long, clear, straight downhill - exhilarating!

cheers
Old 02-01-16, 05:36 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
50+ mph many times on our tandem.
Now at ages 83/80 we are no longer that foolish . . . but it was fun!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Copy of Us on Co-Mo.jpg (100.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-01-16, 06:55 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,013 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
Great tip.

But what do you do if you hit a small bump. I did that once on the flats when I was with a strong wind and going 30mph and was nearly thrown out of the saddle.
Just stay relaxed and ride it out I guess...
Old 02-01-16, 07:28 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 86 Posts
I hit 49.7 once coming down Cannon in Orange, had a tailwind. I did not know exactly how fast I was going at the time as I was concentrating on the road and not looking at the speedo. Only saw it when I downloaded the data from my Garmin. I didn't have any special problem with it, but usually I max out between 42-45 mph. Anything over upper 30s is a bit tense.
Old 02-01-16, 07:28 PM
SevenTwentyNine

Bikes: Wheelbarrow

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
Personally I've never done over 30mph or so going down a hill, I'm just too scared I could get a blowout on some road debris or something.

A guy I work with though told me he recently got his road bike up to around 50mph on a steep downhill. That's crazy to me. I realize TDF type riders probably hit these speeds but they're trying to win a race and I'm assuming their bikes are set up for high speed descents depending on where they'll use them.

So I wonder, how fast are tires good for? On cars of course they're rated, but on bikes? And the hubs, how much speed can they safely take. Just curious what people's opinions are on this.
Straight downhill with good visibility and I've done 50 - lack of road stopped me. I imagine I'd go as fast as possible with enough distance and if it's safe i.e. no traffic etc.
Old 02-01-16, 07:34 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4740 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Just to point out the obvious. In a thread like this, you only ever hear from the lucky ones who made it back home.
Old 02-01-16, 07:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Just to point out the obvious. In a thread like this, you only ever hear from the lucky ones who made it back home.
Hehehe!
Old 02-01-16, 08:55 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Some great replies in this thread. I dont brake like mad going down hills but I definitely dont get up into the speeds some of you have mentioned. And I agree with the comments about it being best not thinking about what could happen, probably the only way to ride that fast successfully, lol.
For me though I'll stay a bit slower, I'm just too chicken to risk it. I forgot to mention earlier that I had a bad crash 25 years ago on a mountain bike while blazing down a dirt hill. I ended having to go to the ER because I cut up my right knee pretty bad and bruised some ribs too. And I doubt I was even going 30mph on that run. In any case it probably changed my attitude a bit about fast downhills, lol.
Old 02-01-16, 09:01 PM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hit 47 mph yesterday on my cross bike on 700x38 with disk brakes, I've hit speeds that fast before but only on my road bike. The cross bike felt so damn stable and planted, I'm really wondering why I have a road bike. (I don't race)
Old 02-01-16, 10:00 PM
KonaRider125

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 4 Star, Kona Splice, Nashbar Carbon road bike

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have little interest in going faster than 35 MPH downhill on a bicycle, I just feel the stakes are too high if a tire blowout or frame failure were to happen at that speed or higher.
Old 02-01-16, 10:27 PM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
50+ mph many times on our tandem.
Now at ages 83/80 we are no longer that foolish . . . but it was fun!!!
Was this downhill or are you saying that in tandem you can ride a lot faster than in single?

BTW Congratulations on cycling so long. Gives us all something to aim for!
Old 02-01-16, 10:34 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
I live in Oklahoma and there aren't any long descents near where I live. I have, however, hit 45 mph on my rock-solid steel Colnago with reassuringly great Campy Chorus brakes. A couple of weeks later I was on the same descent on my carbon bike going around 40 when a pickup swerved into my lane coming straight at me. Under HARD braking the whole frame started shuddering and scared the daylights out of me. I don't hit those speeds anymore on that bike.
Old 02-01-16, 11:26 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Hehehe!
Pretty much lol
Old 02-01-16, 11:31 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing i have noticed is if it gets a little to windy at least for me i won't go any faster than 30-35 if its windy.. I hit 45 once and it was windy, it was pretty damn scary and i have 30mm rim height not as grabby as 50 mm's but still scary
Old 02-02-16, 01:17 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smarkinson
I remember watching the TDF quite a few years ago and the commentators were talking about how some riders would prefer to ride clinchers rather than tubulars in the mountain stages. The theory being that on the descent all the braking heats up the rims which melts the glue holding the tubulars on which leads to bad things. I don't know if they still do it what with everyone running carbon fibre rims nowadays.

So, maybe riding the brakes all the way down a hill because you're too scared of a little speed might not actually be the safest thing to do (or you should switch to disk brakes).
There's no "maybe" about it. You should use the brakes briefly and intermittently on a long descent. If you ride the brakes for extended periods rims get so hot that if you touch them you'll leave skin behind. Much more importantly, at those temperatures it isn't unknown for tubes to explode.
Old 02-02-16, 02:51 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"42"
"42 what?"
"um...speed"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k1OapekYzM
Old 02-02-16, 04:17 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Pretty subjective.

Some of my friends think that riding a bike on public roads is unsafe at any speed. The fastest I've ever done is 54.4 MPH and the only crash I've ever had was going <15 MPH.

So someone is going to have to define the word safe for us. Or how fast can you safely go on Zwift?
Yeah, and there are some neighborhoods where the question might be: how slow can you safely go - you need to get out of there as fast as possible!
Old 02-02-16, 01:34 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I've bumped 50mph and thought it rather exhilerating.