Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best cycling road in Europe?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 12:15 PM
Lucy.P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have my favourite - it's a small road in the Pyrenees that takes you up to Coll de la Creueta BV4031 from Campdevánol...quiet, totally stunning views, lovely rock features and amazing flora - what's yours?
Old 01-26-17, 06:11 PM
sempre1

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre xr1/ Wilier Cento1air/Giant trc adv 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I'm planning a trip to Carnia in Italy - Zoncolan- Crostis one of the best spots to explore in Italy..49 diff route to climb!! I've see in youtube Pendenze Pericolose carnia bike channel
Old 01-26-17, 09:50 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Probably not the kind of response you're looking for...it really doesn't have much to do with actual cycling, but...
When I lived in the outskirts of Puerto de Santa Maria, Spain (in the Jerez region)...to get to the countryside I had to ride through the city. It's not a big city, but I eventually found a route through it that was away from the main roads, no traffic lights, and with little traffic. That route took me along some side streets that passed the aging warehouses for some of some of the Spanish sherry producers. Because they use the "Solera system" for aging the wine...essentially open-air...it made a unique aroma in the area. For me, the aroma was just something to behold. It was best on hot, humid days. Some people don't like it but I love it. I'd ride there whenever I could.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 01-27-17 at 06:03 AM.
Old 01-26-17, 10:27 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Give me a few more trips, and I'll get back to you!
Old 01-27-17, 08:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
No pictures? C'mon!
Old 01-27-17, 02:02 PM
Lucy.P

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sempre1
I'm planning a trip to Carnia in Italy - Zoncolan- Crostis one of the best spots to explore in Italy..49 diff route to climb!! I've see in youtube Pendenze Pericolose carnia bike channel
That looks great...Yet to ride Dolomites but can't wait to get there.
Old 01-27-17, 03:19 PM
sempre1

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre xr1/ Wilier Cento1air/Giant trc adv 2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lucy.P
That looks great...Yet to ride Dolomites but can't wait to get there.
Did you see the video from Carnia? I have no words to describe how wonderful it is that place near Udine.
Unfortunately this year i can't do that trip..next year in the spring here i come Carnia!
Old 01-27-17, 03:24 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
When I was stationed in Germany, I spent a lot of time cycling up and down the Rhine and Nahe Rivers. Lots of castles and winery's. Lots of photos missed place moving.
Old 01-27-17, 10:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
When I was stationed in Germany, I spent a lot of time cycling up and down the Rhine and Nahe Rivers. Lots of castles and winery's. Lots of photos missed place moving.
Bicycling along German rivers and lakes are especially enjoyable on Autofreitag rides when motorized vehicles are excluded from the road. My favorites were along the Moselle (144km ride, Schleich to Cochem with train access at both ends) when I did it last in 2002), the Bodensee (Lake Constance) the Rhine and Saar Rivers. Usually there are festivals in every village that the ride passes through. Great fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mosel.jpg (56.7 KB, 78 views)
HappyMoselkarte.jpg (51.4 KB, 78 views)
Bodensee.jpg (26.9 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-28-17, 12:03 AM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Everywhere I've ridden in Europe has been pretty spectacular. Belgium because of the beautiful countryside, windmills, and the fact that the bike routes are so clean and well maintained. The Mani Peninsula In Greece for climbing and spectacular coastal villages and views. Czech Republic for rolling countryside and history, including the Iron Curtain.

How can you pick one?
Old 01-28-17, 07:25 AM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Bicycling along German rivers and lakes are especially enjoyable on Autofreitag rides when motorized vehicles are excluded from the road. My favorites were along the Moselle (144km ride, Schleich to Cochem with train access at both ends) when I did it last in 2002), the Bodensee (Lake Constance) the Rhine and Saar Rivers. Usually there are festivals in every village that the ride passes through. Great fun!
Ah yes, that brings back the memories. I spent the last 9 years of a 25 yr. USAF career in Germany. The last 4 years, I was stationed in NATO and leave in a little village of Bruggen, a few Kms from the Dutch border. KB.
Old 02-18-17, 09:35 PM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
For stunning scenery and climbing, I would say "Grimselpass" in Switzerland. That was nice when I was 34. For trip-of-a-lifetime touring opportunities on and off the bike with amazing sites ever few kilometers, I'd say "the Loire river" in France. No climbing, but just delightful. That was delightful at 59.
Attached Images
IMG_4069.jpg (28.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by randallr; 02-18-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 06:08 AM
paul150959

Bikes: 1985 Colnago Arabesque, 1986 Colnago Super - Saronni red, 1987 Colnago Master Moda, 1990 Colnago Super - Nero assoluto, 1991 De Rosa Professional SLX - Ariostea Team Edition, 1991 Klein Pinnacle - black, 1993 Klein attitude - gator

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi to everybody,
my favorit Road is the passo Stelvio in italy. You start in Prad (the place were Gustav Thönie, six times olympic gold medal winner in skiing, is born), it goes up to 2757 m altitude, 47 hairpins and ramps, just fantastic.
Than you go back via passo umbrail, through Swiss, back to prad.
The total distance is about 65 km.
The passo stelvio is one of the oldest passes in the alps.
It was build 1820 - 1826.
In know all the Alp Passes, but the stelvio is just the crown!!!

Last edited by paul150959; 02-19-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 09:45 AM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Unfortunately, this June 11 will be last Happy Mosel event according to their website and Wikipedia.
Old 02-19-17, 12:11 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
For me it depends on the type of riding. My wife and I have done a bunch of one day tours of villages through The Netherlands. Leave home in the morning, stop somewhere for breakfast, somewhere else for lunch (or often just grab stuff at a market and have a picnic), and somewhere for afternoon break. We're usually back for dinner but may include a dinner stop. Most are in the area of Drenthe, Groningen, and Friesland but there are also some great areas in Brabant and Limburg though these can be hilly (think Amstel Gold or Tour of Flanders). Northern and western Belgium can also be quite nice. These are all great because of the great bikeways and never having to deal with any traffic.

We've ridden a bit in southern France but not yet the Loire which is on our list.

For training type hill climbs I love the southern Netherlands. Did the Stelvio once and think I have fonder memories now than when we finished. Two thumbs up for Grimsel! Wengen is one of our favorite places to stay for 'refreshing' hikes and rides. I highly recommend everyone race the cog rail up to Kleine Scheidegg at least once in their life :-)