Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

~around 50 mile rides in nyc.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 12:55 AM
smoaky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I live in manhattan, and I'm looking for a a flat ride, atleast 50 miles roundtrip from manhattan. I'm up to going around central park 3 times or riding on the bike path from 100th to south ferry, but central park gets a bit boring, and the bike path has too many dogs/people walking/contruction etc. Any ideas?
Old 07-08-06, 01:46 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
cross the GWB and ride to Nyack.

btw - last time i checked 3 laps of CP only gets you 18 miles
Old 07-08-06, 02:23 AM
smoaky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes, i know central park is roughly 6 miles around (plus i have a monitor on my bike). I can do 3 times around at an average speed of 20-22mph flat and 16-17 on hills, and I'm not incredibly tired when I'm done.. I've been experiencing back pain, which is why I've been somewhat limited, but once I get that figured out, I'd like to try a longer ride with a distinct destination. I also have only been riding for a little over a week, so I am not in that great shape, and the only riding i did in the past was from the upper west side to my school in chelsea, which is hardly anything, split into two trips. I know you can cross the bridge, but I'm not sure where I am allowed to ride etc.
Old 07-08-06, 02:32 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Palisades then 9W

now go to bed

ps - if this is your first week on the bike, then chill out and enjoy. you're pushing yourself too hard too soon.
Old 07-08-06, 01:43 PM
40x14
delicious

Bikes: The one under my bum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
ps - if this is your first week on the bike, then chill out and enjoy. you're pushing yourself too hard too soon.
True. Better to ride 500 miles a month for many months that 150 miles in a week and then quit.

I agree that central park can be fun or boring, and the west side bike path is no good for fast cyclists.

Prospect park is quite nice. The ride out there from downtown NYC + 4 loops puts me at 26 miles. There are far less people in prospect park than central park. More loops = more distance.

Directions:
Take the north side of the manhattan bridge to Jay street. At the bottom, turn left on Jay. Continue about 3/4-1 mile and turn left on Livingston. About two blocks down turn right on Hoyt. Take Hoyt to Union Street, or continue to Third street. Turn left on either one. This takes you to the grand army plaza entrance, or the third street entrance, respectively. Third street has less traffic. Trees grow in brooklyn. The prescribed routes avoid a lot of pedestrian and car traffic, with the exception of Jay street for 1 mile.