Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

X1 Groupsets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

X1 Groupsets

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 09:11 PM
Sargon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
X1 Groupsets

I am considering getting an x1 groupset for my next road bike.

Anyone with experience in them? I see only advantages, but what do I know...

Thanks
Old 05-05-16, 10:10 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't seen anyone selling groupsets yet or any complete bikes being sold with it yet. The disadvantages I see are the gear spread on the cassettes to have a wide enough range if you have any kind of hills to climb and possibly weight of the cassette vs weight of say a 11-28 + front shifting parts
Old 05-05-16, 11:30 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Sargon
I am considering getting an x1 groupset for my next road bike.

Anyone with experience in them? I see only advantages, but what do I know...

Thanks
Advantages:
+ no frond shifter and derailleur (lower weight and no thinking about shifting up front)

Disadvantages:
- smaller gear ratio range with bigger gaps between adjacent gears
- more cross chaining and no BIG front chainring (so shorter drivetrain lifetime)
- more expensive

Unless racing in mud, it's fashion, more than any consievable advantage IMO.
Old 05-05-16, 11:33 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you're referring to the SRAM X1 road group set, for example, then I do have experience with it, although I wouldn't call myself a group set "expert", so take what I say with a grain of salt I recently purchased a 2016 Specialized Diverge Expert X1, which you can see here:

https://specialized.com/us/en/bikes/...pert-x1/107072

It comes with a SRAM Force 1 46-tooth crankset, and has the 11-speed SRAM Force 1 10-42 cassette. I purchased this bike because I was intrigued by the generally very positive gravel bike reviews of owners, but was interested in trying out SRAM and their X1 group set. And plus, I happened to really like the bike's color scheme LOL (yeah, I'm shallow like that haha).

My only real point of comparison is my 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, which is equipped with the excellent and butter-smooth Ultegra group set. Gear-wise, it's got the 34/50 crankset and 11-32 cassette, which I have really grown to love since I do lots of climbing. So the granny gear gives me a 1.0625:1 ratio, while the highest gear gives me a 4.55:1 ratio. All in all, a pretty respectable range.

So when it came time to purchase my gravel bike, I was relieved to see that the ratio range for the Diverge Expert X1 goes from 1.095:1 (granny gear) and 4.6:1 (highest gear), which is pretty close to my Roubaix. Of course, I only have a choice of 11 ratios instead of 22, but to be honest I haven't really missed them.

And here's the kicker (although this goes outside of your question): While I was perfectly fine and accepted I'd be slower with this bike, given its bigger/heavier wheels and given that the bike weighs about 3 lbs more than my Roubaix, in practice I have not been *any* slower!!! This was truly a shock to me, and no it's not due to the Diverge having disc brakes LOL (before any clown tries to bring that up as a possible explanation). I am feeling it a bit more in the legs, after a ride, however...

Anyway, SRAM double tap shifters are definitely interesting with their much-more mechanical feel than Ultegra. I'm not ready to call one better than the other, and I'm just happy to have the chance to experience both on a regular basis Another difference: I had read about SRAM's X1 setup not having any "chain slap", and that's certainly been my experience so far. I get it all the time on my Roubaix, but have yet to get it with my Diverge. Not a big deal either way as far as I'm concerned, but maybe that's something you care about.

Let me know if there's anything else you were curious about, but hope the above is of any help to somebody.

Geoff
Old 05-06-16, 06:42 AM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my 1x setup on the gravel bike, however please know that their are gaps in the ratios and if you are not comfortable at different cadences you will not like it. Most people that don't like it is because they can't or don't like to change their cadence, I'm running a 38 chainring and a 11-36 in the back.
Old 05-06-16, 06:50 AM
Bob Dopolina 
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
You don't need a full xx1 groupset. You need a rear hub and a front chainring designed for being used without a fr der.

Old 05-06-16, 07:33 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Advantages:
+ no frond shifter and derailleur (lower weight and no thinking about shifting up front)

Disadvantages:
- smaller gear ratio range with bigger gaps between adjacent gears
- more cross chaining and no BIG front chainring (so shorter drivetrain lifetime)
- more expensive

Unless racing in mud, it's fashion, more than any consievable advantage IMO.
X1 group can be configured to to have the same gear range as a compact double set up but obviously bigger jumps on cassette as you'd have a 10-42. I haven't really looked at numbers but I'm not sure there is much weight different if you are talking 10-42 cassette vs Force front derailleur and shift lever
Old 05-06-16, 07:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have a road bike with a 50/34 compact crank and a 11-28 cassette along with a gravel bike with a 40T crank and a 11-32 cassette.

If you live in a relatively flat area then a X1 road bike can work. But if you have hills and flats, then you really want a compact crank.
Old 05-06-16, 07:50 AM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
I have a road bike with a 50/34 compact crank and a 11-28 cassette along with a gravel bike with a 40T crank and a 11-32 cassette.

If you live in a relatively flat area then a X1 road bike can work. But if you have hills and flats, then you really want a compact crank.
You can get Force/Rival 1 with 10-42 cassette. Paired with 44t crank gear range is about the same. 44/42 is the same gear ratio as 34/32 that you would get with compact and 32 cassette and for many people that's more than needed for mountains.
Old 05-06-16, 07:53 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by rms13
You can get Force/Rival 1 with 10-42 cassette. Paired with 44t crank gear range is about the same. 44/42 is the same gear ratio as 34/32 that you would get with compact and 32 cassette and for many people that's more than needed for mountains.
Yes, you can have the same ratios at the extremes, but large gaps between gears. While a 2x11 does not give you 22 gears, it give you small gaps between gears.
Old 05-06-16, 07:55 AM
Kopsis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Chainring wear is definitely a factor to consider. In addition to typically lower tooth count to spread the load, narrow/wide rings "work" by having a very close fit with the chain. As a result, wear degrades performance much sooner than it does on derailleur chainrings. I like the 1x setup on my CX bike, but I wouldn't want to switch my road bike over.
Old 05-06-16, 08:16 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Kopsis
Chainring wear is definitely a factor to consider. In addition to typically lower tooth count to spread the load, narrow/wide rings "work" by having a very close fit with the chain. As a result, wear degrades performance much sooner than it does on derailleur chainrings. I like the 1x setup on my CX bike, but I wouldn't want to switch my road bike over.
Tooth count on the chainring is generally in between a compact's large and small (eg. 42-46 teeth). Isn't wear just a matter of saying that yes, your ring will wear twice as fast, but on only 1 ring; versus half as fast applied to 2 rings? ie. is lifetime replacement cost going to even out either way?
Old 05-06-16, 08:38 AM
Kopsis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Tooth count on the chainring is generally in between a compact's large and small (eg. 42-46 teeth). Isn't wear just a matter of saying that yes, your ring will wear twice as fast, but on only 1 ring; versus half as fast applied to 2 rings? ie. is lifetime replacement cost going to even out either way?
The key difference is that a derailleur ring can wear quite a bit and still function perfectly. A narrow/wide can tolerate much less wear before you start losing chain retention. Based on my experience, I'm replacing the chainring at about 1/4 the mileage where I would be replacing rings on a double. It's not a huge cost thing (rings are $60 - $70), but it is counter to the "no FD = less maintenance" claim.

Now, my experience is CX, so maybe road is more tolerant of chainring wear (since situations where you need high chain retention are less common). Still, when you're making a list of pros/cons, it's one that should be included.
Old 05-06-16, 08:45 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

A Force 1 chainring is $60, a chain is $27, so for $100 you can replace both.

BTW... tires wear also and need to be replaced from time to time.
Old 05-06-16, 12:22 PM
Sargon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

This document:

https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...l_Guide_EN.pdf

claims that an x1 with 44T x 10-42 has 97.5 % of the range of an x2 50/34T x 11-32

That's pretty good since I usually ride 11-28.
Old 05-06-16, 12:32 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Range wise is fine. Whether you can live with the gear spacing or not is up to you (or you could get close spacing but lose range.) I personally think it doesn't look too bad. When riding rolling hills I often find myself shifting 2-3 gears at a time fairly frequently anyway.
Old 05-06-16, 01:51 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
When riding rolling hills I often find myself shifting 2-3 gears at a time fairly frequently anyway.
Indeed, that certainly has been my experience as well when riding hills or mountains.

Geoff
Old 05-07-16, 12:27 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

This document:

https://www.sram.com/sites/all/theme...l_Guide_EN.pdf

claims that an x1 with 44T x 10-42 has 97.5 % of the range of an x2 50/34T x 11-32

That's pretty good since I usually ride 11-28.
You can have either range, or tight gearing with 1x system. Can't have both, even with 12 sprockets at the back.

I'd always prefer a triple with 8 speeds at the back, to any 1x, or even 2x system for that matter. That's in terms of both range, tight gearing and component wear. Well, price as well. A lot cheaper and more durable drivetrain.

As far as 50-34 goes - I like having a chainring around 40 teeth for flats. 34 is too small, 50 asks for a lot of cross chaining when not going fast. Not the combo I'd be happy width. The point is - 50-34 gives range and tight gearing, but using it all in real life can be a hassle. 32-46 double, or a triple are better options IMO.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 05-07-16 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 09:55 AM
Sargon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It must be a matter of taste because as others have said I often find I shift several gears at the same time, or in quick succession. so bigger jumps will actually mean fewer shifts for me. Then again I don't do really steep climbs much.
Old 05-07-16, 01:42 PM
American Euchre

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It must be a matter of taste because as others have said I often find I shift several gears at the same time, or in quick succession. so bigger jumps will actually mean fewer shifts for me. Then again I don't do really steep climbs much.

If you're riding flats, rather than hills, close gear ratios should be especially important. I don't see why you would shift multiple gears at a time if you ride on flats.
Old 05-07-16, 06:35 PM
Sargon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flats should not be a problem with

X1 Cogs: 10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42

Now I have 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28

Where I ride usually it's not completely flat, but with gentle rolling slopes, I rarely shift once only. I have always found single-step granularity too close. Double-step will save me a lot of shifting. I just don't have the need for such close gearing between extremes.
Old 05-07-16, 10:44 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Flats should not be a problem with

X1 Cogs: 10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42

Now I have 11,12,13,14,15,16,17,19,22,25,28

Where I ride usually it's not completely flat, but with gentle rolling slopes, I rarely shift once only. I have always found single-step granularity too close. Double-step will save me a lot of shifting. I just don't have the need for such close gearing between extremes.
Those X1 gear gaps are awful.

I think X1 will work with a 13 speed cassette but it's too bad we have to wait out the transition from 11 to 12 to 13, which will take a significant amount of time.

I won't touch a X1 off road either. SRAM's relentless attempt to push 1X onto everything is just embarrassing. Shimano's 2X off road groups have far wider range with tighter ratios.

Plus, SRAM's shifting is clunky and unrefined. Not to mention their prices are just as high, if not higher than shimano's. Higher prices for clunkier shifting, wide gaps between gears and crappy brakes: what a bargain!
Old 05-07-16, 10:47 PM
American Euchre

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can have either range, or tight gearing with 1x system. Can't have both, even with 12 sprockets at the back.

I'd always prefer a triple with 8 speeds at the back, to any 1x, or even 2x system for that matter. That's in terms of both range, tight gearing and component wear. Well, price as well. A lot cheaper and more durable drivetrain.

As far as 50-34 goes - I like having a chainring around 40 teeth for flats. 34 is too small, 50 asks for a lot of cross chaining when not going fast. Not the combo I'd be happy width. The point is - 50-34 gives range and tight gearing, but using it all in real life can be a hassle. 32-46 double, or a triple are better options IMO.
Unfortunately, arguing with SRAM's shills on bike forums means that common sense will never prevail.
Old 05-08-16, 10:26 AM
Sargon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oops. This thread has outlived its usefulness. So quickly too. There is nothing but a rapid descent coming now into ridiculous religious attitudes on x1 groupsets... of all things. Who needs that?

I am outta here for a ride on my x1 Santa Cruz with a 10-42 cassette, which is far better than reading what's coming... I love animals, people not so much.

Thanks for the replies. Vayan con dios.