Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Eastern Canada
Reload this Page >

Welland lodging, Greater Niagara Circle Route

Search
Notices
Eastern Canada New Brunswick | Newfoundland and Labrador | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-23, 07:18 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'll be in the Niagara Falls area this August and will be looking to bike the Greater Niagara Circle Route, starting at the falls and going counter-clockwise. I'm looking for overnight lodging recommendations in Welland. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-26-23, 08:55 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
@TBlackwell600 - Welland was a blue collar steel works town based around the old Welland Canal. Due to mill closures and others, there isn't a lot there. I live near there and when I saw your post, I was struck by the fact that I didn't know anything I could recommend. There are a coupe of B&B's and travel lodge that look reasonable. I suspect that the B&B;'s might be better.
Old 03-13-23, 12:05 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I'm thinking about the Circle Route, but am aiming more towards September. Here's a pretty good website for info, maps, and other helpful things: Niagara Cycling Tourism

It lists a Best Western in Welland: Circle Route Accommodations

Best Western: Best Western in Welland

Google Maps shows that it's literally connected to the trail.
Old 03-16-23, 09:25 AM
Ollie62

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is also a fairly new Holiday Inn that was built for the 2022 Canada Summer Games, it is also close to the Seaway Trail. Another option would be The Inn at Lock Seven in Thorold, they have rooms that overlook the Canal and have great views of Lakers going through a Lock.
Old 04-14-23, 01:38 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
TBlackwell600-

The Best Western was quite good when my late wife and I stayed there several years ago. It is adjacent to the old canal and there are restaurants and services nearby. The new Holiday Inn is on the East side of town near the 406 Highway and traffic density is high and fast in that area. Big Box stores are nearby and draw a lot of traffic. The Inn at Lock Seven is in an excellent location at the very edge of the escarpment and directly overlooks the canal locks. It is in a quiet side street area a couple of blocks away from the main street of Thorold and it has shopping and restaurants in the downtown core.
Old 05-05-23, 03:57 AM
Shotgumwillie

Bikes: Canyon Endurance AL 7; Cinelli Hobootleg geo; Norco Bigfoot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on when you are coming through, I might have a place for you here! By the time you come through, we will have a brewery (hopefully) [Bridgewater brewing]. Also, check out Black Sheep For a coffee. It's right off the canal path, just North of Bridge 13! If you would like any brewery or grub recommendations for the GNCR, let me know. Love the loop, and a proud Wellander.

Will echo the inn ar lock 7 as well as the new holiday Inn express. Both are comfy stays, with the inn being a but more scenic. Plus, you'll get some rest after the biggest climb on the route (assuming you are headed north out of the falls).

Last edited by Shotgumwillie; 05-05-23 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-10-23, 02:49 AM
TBlackwell600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all so much!! Currently, I have a room reserved at the Residence & Conference Center at or near the college. Looking forward to stopping in at the brewery - hopefully you're open by early August.
Old 05-19-23, 11:54 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

TBlackwell600,

Please post something about your ride experiences afterward. I'm especially interested in your dining and drinking recommendations and any other room accommodations that you use. I'm still aiming for September for our ride. I'm thinking two nights out for our ride, still trying to figure out our starting point. Kinda thinking about using Chippawa/Niagara Falls as our start, heading north to Niagara-on-the-Lake. Not a lot of miles the first day, but there's so much to see and do. From NOTL, I was thinking our next stop would be Port Colborne. The last day would be the Friendship Trail and back down the Upper Niagara river to our car and then head home. Can't wait to hear more of your plans and final experience!
Old 08-16-23, 04:48 AM
TBlackwell600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Post Ride Follow-up

Just finished the 2-day ride. Overall, a very nice. The bike paths/trails are all paved and the road sections weren't bad - wide shoulders for the most part and vehicles gave me plenty of room.
Day 1: You can bike across the Rainbow Bridge or you can drive. Bikes must use the vehicle lanes. I chose to drive across from NY and parked in a parking garage at the Fallsview Indoor Waterpark. (Note: Local PD told me you are not permitted park in the municipal lots overnight). I made my way to the Niagara River Parkway via the Olympic Torch Run Trail. The Parkways is a combination of sidewalks and bike paths all the way to the town of Niagara on the Lake (15 miles / 24 km from my start). Trail markings along the way are arrows on the road with some signage. You need to look for both. After a short stop in town due to rain I proceeded west along roads to the canal at St. Catherines. My original plan was to avoid Lakeshore Rd, but I ended up biking it after a road detour. Lakeshore Rd has wide shoulders and you can probably bike it from Niagara on the Lake to St. Catherines with no issues. I saw many bike riders using Lakeshore. Niagara on the Lake to St. Catherines was about (11 3/4 miles, 19 km). At St. Catherines, I hopped onto the paved canal path and followed that to Welland (15 1/2 miles / 25 km). I booked a room at the Niagara College Residence (in the summer, they rent out dorm rooms), about 1 1/2 miles / 2.4 km from the trail. Dinner was at Mommaz Boys just down the street from the college. HUGE portions. The owner told me he's closing in October. Total distance day 1: 40 miles /64 km.
Day 1 Observations: Awesome opportunities to see large ships along the canal and in the locks. Lack of restroom facilities along the bike path and canal but lots of wineries between Niagara Falls and Niagara on the Lake gives you plenty of opportunity to stop and take a break and maybe do a tasting. The bike path into Niagara on the Lake has a fairly steep decent. Use caution. Niagara on the Lake is a nice town with lots of food options. Roads are flat, the canal path has multiple short climbs, mostly when you come upon a lock. I encountered decent headwinds between Niagara on the Lake and St. Catherines.
Day 2: Headed back to the canal and proceeded south to Port Colborne (11 miles / 18 km). The canal has plenty of signage to let you know where you are. In Port Colborne, I headed east along the Friendship trail to Fort Erie and the Niaraga River. The Friendship Trail is about 15 1/2 miles / 24 1/2 km with multiple road crossings, making it tough to establish a rhythm. It seamlessly puts you onto Edgemere Rd / Lakeshore Rd and you follow that to the Peace Bridge (about 3 miles / 5 km). From there, you can follow the bike path that runs parallel to the Parkway or just bike on the Parkway. Pros / Cons: Bike path is bumpier, Parkway has vehicle traffic with narrow shoulders. After about 15 miles / 24 km, you pretty much are biking on the road to the falls. The last 3 miles / 5 km will be heavy with traffic but moves slow. Niagara Falls has plenty of dining options for all budgets. I didn't stay after my ride. Total distance day 2: 50 miles / 80 1.2 km.
Day 2 Observations: The Friendship trail is flat but lacks restroom facilities and rest areas. It also has multiple road crossings, making it difficult to get into a biking rhythm. That said, Ridgeway is about the half-way point along the trail and seems to be the best place to plan a break. Less locks south of Welland = a mostly flat canal path. The bike path and roads along the Niagara River and into the tourist/falls area is flat. To leave the tourist/falls area, it'll be uphill. I encountered strong headwinds heading north along the river from Fort Erie to Niagara Falls.
Overall, I'd bike the loop again.
Old 09-02-23, 10:49 AM
Altair 4

Thanks for posting about your experiences! I've only biked the Niagara River Trail from Fort Erie to Niagara Falls (we stayed at the Doubletree on Fallsview.Blvd). I walked the bike up Murray Street from the Parkway (too steep, too hot, too busy). I'm looking forward to riding the rest of the loop some day. Do you have any photos to post?
Old 09-04-23, 02:55 AM
TBlackwell600

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Niagara on the Falls

Niagara on the Falls

Welland Canal