Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

New York City Commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

New York City Commuting

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 05:53 PM
Michael Gugliel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New York City Commuting

Looking for advice on commuting from lower Westchester to lower Manahattan, Battery Park in particular. Routes, how long it takes, really any advice?? All help appreciated. I am a daily commuter now from Grand Central and would like to lose the Metro North section.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-06, 08:25 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Gugliel
Looking for advice on commuting from lower Westchester to lower Manahattan, Battery Park in particular. Routes, how long it takes, really any advice?? All help appreciated. I am a daily commuter now from Grand Central and would like to lose the Metro North section.

Thanks in advance.
Michael, there is a really detailed bike commute map of New Your City on post 25 in the bike route map thread in the Advocacy subforum. Let us know how it works
Old 01-20-06, 09:29 PM
Michael Gugliel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ken, thanks for the quick reply. You're right that is a great map and I do access it from time to time. It is helpful. I am also looking for inout from the folks who have actually attempted this long commute. How do they do it, what are the pluses and minuses, etc?
I am hoping some of those folks read this forum.
Take care!
Old 01-20-06, 10:55 PM
some_guy282
Peaknik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey,

I commute on the weekends from the Castle Hill section of the Bronx to Soho. My trip distance one way is approximately 15 miles. Going there during the day it usually takes me an hour and 15 minutes. Coming back (after midnight) there is less traffic so it's only an hour. I'm guessing your trip distance would be closer to 20 miles. I average about 15 mph when actually pedaling (as opposed to stopped at a light), so if you average the same speed I do it would take you about an hour and a half to two hours. Less if you ride more aggressively than I do.

I use the Willis Ave bridge to get into Manhattan, using its pedestrian walkway. Foot traffic is very light. From there I hop onto the east side greenway, which I take to about 80th, and then go over to 2nd avenue which I take all the way down to Union Square. Just a few more blocks of local streets after that and I'm in Soho. Since you're actually going the entire length of the island though, it might be faster for you to just use the westside greenway since it goes the whole way uninterupted.
Old 01-20-06, 11:06 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The West Side Hwy MUP is the way to go since you don't have to stop for lights.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 01-21-06, 02:15 PM
threephi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Hudson river bike path, but there can be very strong winds some days since you're right on the water. My commute is much much shorter than yours, but I find going down the avenues takes only a minute or two longer even with the stop and go.
Old 01-26-06, 01:42 PM
spgny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also live in lower Westchester, basic route is Route 9, past Van Cortland Park to Broadway Bridge, over that you connect with the Greenway and that will take you on the path all the way to battery Park. Here is a great place to get more detailed info/maps...https://www.transalt.org/

I have never done the ride, but want to.
Old 01-26-06, 02:07 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spgny
I also live in lower Westchester, basic route is Route 9, past Van Cortland Park to Broadway Bridge, over that you connect with the Greenway and that will take you on the path all the way to battery Park. Here is a great place to get more detailed info/maps...https://www.transalt.org/

I have never done the ride, but want to.
I was going to suggest "somehow get to the Bway Bridge" and take the West Side (aka Hudson) Greenway all the way to Battery Park. I just rode from the GWB to Chambers and across the BB today, in fact. Wind? Bah! I laugh at 30mph gusts! (I actually felt the car I drove back shake more in the wind than the bike, go figure). Seriously, you can go very fast on the Greenway if there are no peds because there are not many lights (some by the piers where you have to be careful), the pavement is mostly good, no cars doors or taxis to worry you, and it's about as direct a route as you can get.

FYI, in daylight I often ride down Ft. Washington to Riverside down to 79th or 72nd THEN get on the Greenway to avoid the sketchy (pavement-wise) northern sections. In fact, that was how my commute began for a good 5 months.

One more thing, in the mornings, Broadway in the northern most parts of Manhattan (i.e. potential route between the B'way Bridge and the Greenway) isn't too bad for traffic. However, it's brutal in the afternoon.
Old 01-26-06, 03:45 PM
Michael Gugliel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to try it a few different ways based on these suggestions. If it goes well, I may be able to convinve my wife that I need a new bike. In that way everybody wins, savings on the commute and I get new wheels.
Old 01-26-06, 05:38 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Gugliel
Thanks to all for the advice. I am going to try it a few different ways based on these suggestions. If it goes well, I may be able to convinve my wife that I need a new bike. In that way everybody wins, savings on the commute and I get new wheels.
Heh, it worked for me. I got a new bike (folder, BTW) to commute to a new job back in May.
Old 01-26-06, 06:21 PM
Bklyn
Ex-Lion Tamer

Bikes: 1982 Lotus Legend (steel-frame touring bike); 1982 Fuji S10S (converted to a singlespeed: 46x16); Specialized Crossroads hybrid (the child taxi).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
I was going to suggest "somehow get to the Bway Bridge" and take the West Side (aka Hudson) Greenway all the way to Battery Park. I just rode from the GWB to Chambers and across the BB today, in fact. Wind? Bah! I laugh at 30mph gusts!
Comrade, you weren't heading upriver from Chambers St. Holy cow what wind today! Seriously, lowest gear and still going nowhere fast. I felt like Dorothy back in Kansas. ...And you were there, Oboeguy! And you too JYossarian!...
Old 01-26-06, 07:30 PM
spgny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Open to anyone....How long does it take you to commute from upper bronx, lower Westchester to NYC? Whether it be to Up, Mid, or Downtown. To Wall Street it must be at least an hour each way? Is it is a hassle (especially if you wear a suit)...Interested in hearing your regiment/experience...
Old 01-26-06, 07:41 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bklyn
Comrade, you weren't heading upriver from Chambers St. Holy cow what wind today! Seriously, lowest gear and still going nowhere fast. I felt like Dorothy back in Kansas. ...And you were there, Oboeguy! And you too JYossarian!...
Heh, I was lucky enough to be only going DOWNtown today. I was picking up the family car in Brooklyn to borrow for the weekend so I drove back with my folder in the trunk.

Open to anyone....How long does it take you to commute from upper bronx, lower Westchester to NYC? Whether it be to Up, Mid, or Downtown. To Wall Street it must be at least an hour each way? Is it is a hassle (especially if you wear a suit)...Interested in hearing your regiment/experience...
FYI, door-to-door going from right next to the GWB to Brookyn Heights takes me around an hour on my folder, probably less on the road bike. So I figure if I was going from "upper bronx, lower Westchester" it would probably be at LEAST an hour, but less than 1.5 hours?
Old 01-27-06, 06:14 AM
egonlou

Bikes: Specialized Roubeaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Fort Lee to downtown Brooklyn, over the manhattan bridge takes me about an hour. 16 miles.
Old 01-27-06, 06:45 AM
spgny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone commute and have to wear a suit? Wondering if you pack it, leave it at the office, shower, etc....
Old 01-27-06, 08:12 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no way you're going to wear a suit for a 20 mile ride and expect the suit to last or not smell. If I had to commute to a suit-requiring job, I'd pack it.
Old 01-27-06, 09:13 AM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bklyn
I think that's the wind that stopped me completely as I was going DOWNHILL. It also blew some woman's skirt up, which was awesome!

Old 01-27-06, 11:10 PM
smoaky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm getting my new roadbike and I'll be riding from upper west side to 17th street, roughyl 5 miles, most of it on the bike path along the hudson. When I was in shape last year I was doing it in 15-20 minutes depending in the wind. about 7 minutes of that was just going across town about 5 avenues, first waiting for west side highway light, then the crosstown lights. I know this because I was doing 20-22 on the path but it took me 20min to go 50 miles.... For a good 2 weeks it was blowing north in the morning and south in the afternoon... that was the worst. I just realized I've never gone above 96th on that path How far up does it go? sorry if im hijacking the thread, but how would you get down for westchester?
Old 02-01-06, 06:55 PM
Michael Gugliel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings! Just wanted you all to know that I tried two different routes from the Bronxville/Yonkers border to Dtwn. Brooklyn. Turns out I'm too old, too slow and its too far. I'm glad I gave it a try. Bottom line: 24 miles no matter which route, top time time 1hr 50 min. I need to be at least 1 hr. 20 min to make it work. I want to thank all you folks for your adivce and enthusiasm.
I wish you all safe riding.
Old 02-01-06, 10:24 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ride more miles Michael and you'll get faster. Then try it again when the weather warms up. Good luck!

Old 02-02-06, 10:21 AM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Anyone commute and have to wear a suit? Wondering if you pack it, leave it at the office, shower, etc....
I leave the suit at the office and carry a shirt and undergarments. Use wet wipes to clean up when I get there. This is one of the major negatives of commuting for me - the 15 minutes or so I have to spend after I arrive cleaning up and changing.

There are existing threads that address this topic at length.